PDA

View Full Version : There are a lot of T Girls out there with HIV and they dont know!!!! Know the facts!

Rasclaat
06-13-2016, 08:40 PM
In 2013, a meta-analysis (Baral et al.) reported that the estimated HIV prevalence among transgender women was 22% in five high-income countries, including the United States. 3869 transgender women sampled.

Findings from a systematic review (Herbst et al.) of 29 published studies showed that 28% of transgender women had HIV infection (4 studies), while 12% of transgender women self-reported having HIV (18 studies). This discrepancy suggests many transgender women living with HIV don’t know their HIV status.

Among the 3.3 million HIV testing eventsa reported to CDC in 2013, the highest percentages of newly identified HIV-positive persons were among transgender persons.

Knowledge on both parties is the key to prevention.

sean1916
06-13-2016, 08:52 PM
In 2013, a meta-analysis (Baral et al.) reported that the estimated HIV prevalence among transgender women was 22% in five high-income countries, including the United States. 3869 transgender women sampled.

Findings from a systematic review (Herbst et al.) of 29 published studies showed that 28% of transgender women had HIV infection (4 studies), while 12% of transgender women self-reported having HIV (18 studies). This discrepancy suggests many transgender women living with HIV don’t know their HIV status.

Among the 3.3 million HIV testing eventsa reported to CDC in 2013, the highest percentages of newly identified HIV-positive persons were among transgender persons.

Knowledge on both parties is the key to prevention.
Ok, I call bullshit on your numbers.

sean1916
06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Haha, evensta? They reported?

ts interrupted
06-13-2016, 09:30 PM
I might believe those numbers in Brazil, but it seems a little excessive for a place like the US. Granted I haven't actually looked up my own facts.

Samui
06-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Don't know why the TC didn't post a source, that was dumb:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/gender/transgender/

Laphroaig
06-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Don't know why the TC didn't post a source, that was dumb:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/gender/transgender/

Thanks, interesting that the OP chose to leave off a couple of the bullet points in his post.

In the systematic review, black/African American transgender women were most likely to test HIV positive, compared to those of other races/ethnicities: 56% of black/African American transgender women had positive HIV test results compared to 17% of white or 16% of Hispanic/Latina transgender women.

Although HIV prevalence among transgender men is relatively low (0-3%), a 2011 study (Rowniak et al.) suggests that transgender men who have sex with men are at substantial risk for acquiring HIV.

Rasclaat
06-13-2016, 10:09 PM
After Samui posted the source can you accept this is a significant problem? because there seems to be resistance to the stats and it doesn't seem logical

Rasclaat
06-13-2016, 10:14 PM
I wanted to focus on the transsexual group as a whole first

sean1916
06-13-2016, 10:14 PM
After Samui posted the source can you accept this is a significant problem? because there seems to be resistance to the stats and it doesn't seem logical
There is a danger of posting misinformed statistics as well, it does a great deal of damage while destroying the credibility of the source.

Remember the cannabis debate? Yeah... People lost faith.

Rasclaat
06-13-2016, 10:23 PM
There is a danger of posting misinformed statistics as well, it does a great deal of damage while destroying the credibility of the source.

Remember the cannabis debate? Yeah... People lost faith.

Im not sure what the cannabis debate was to tell you the truth. But how were the stats misinformed? I thought it was objective. The sample size was pretty large and it shows there is a clear issue of denial and poor safety in our community

sean1916
06-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Im not sure what the cannabis debate was to tell you the truth. But how were the stats misinformed? I thought it was objective. The sample size was pretty large and it shows there is a clear issue of denial and poor safety in our community
Based on what source? What credible source?

HIV/AIDS should be taken seriously. Fearmongering is not the best method. Not sure what your goal is here.

Rasclaat
06-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Based on what source? What credible source?

HIV/AIDS should be taken seriously. Fearmongering is not the best method. Not sure what your goal is here.

The excerpt was from a cut and paste job from the CDC. It was partly based on this paper

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23260128
"In 3869 transgender women sampled in five high-income countries, HIV prevalence was 21·6% (95% CI 18·8-24·3)"(Barel et al., 2013)

funded by Center for AIDS Research at Johns Hopkins and the Center for Public Health and Human Rights at the JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health.

These are the facts clear as day no fear-mongering necessary

sean1916
06-13-2016, 11:28 PM
The excerpt was from a cut and paste job from the CDC. It was partly based on this paper

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23260128
"In 3869 transgender women sampled in five high-income countries, HIV prevalence was 21·6% (95% CI 18·8-24·3)"(Barel et al., 2013)

funded by Center for AIDS Research at Johns Hopkins and the Center for Public Health and Human Rights at the JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health.

These are the facts clear as day no fear-mongering necessary

I don't understand the technical notes. Can you explain in layman's terms?

sean1916
06-13-2016, 11:35 PM
I have read the data, it is very compelling. It just seems like a crazy percentage.

Rasclaat
06-13-2016, 11:40 PM
I don't understand the technical notes. Can you explain in layman's terms?

Absolutely, so the prevalence is how many people are estimated to have HIV in a certain time period. So it says that they calculated 21.6 percent of the 3869 seen had HIV from the period of Jan 1, 2000, and Nov 30, 2011 in five high income countries,which included the USA. The confidence interval or CI is the range that says we are 95 percent sure that the actual value for HIV prevalence is some where between 18.8 percent to 24.3 because there is always the possibity of error in a study .

Rasclaat
06-13-2016, 11:41 PM
I have read the data, it is very compelling. It just seems like a crazy percentage.

It really does I was pretty mind fucked about that. Especially that it was actually a little worse in rich countries than poor but im not sure if the numbers are significant enough to 100 percent conclude that

sean1916
06-13-2016, 11:49 PM
What is the answer? I get tested regualy. What is the answer?

Rasclaat
06-14-2016, 12:11 AM
last year my exfriend put a knife in his mouth playing and like 10 days later my mother made me angry again and i tried to cut my lips with the same knife as a sign of not talking to her again and later i remembered my exfriend had it in his mouth

and i was afraid that he had hiv so i panicked that id catch hiv like that trhow the knife to the junk and wanted to do hiv analisis

how paranoid is that???? srsly i think thats very fucked up :(

Its about being informed im sure we ve all done some pretty paranoid stuff when anxeity is involved lmao hope that cutting your lips isnt a habit or anything like that

BLKGSXR
06-14-2016, 01:37 AM
Ok, I call bullshit on your numbers. its a study, numbers are like flies they come they go and they always change in frequency.

GroobySteven
06-14-2016, 11:51 AM
I haven't read the report but the key factor is where are they getting this sampling of TG women from?

notdrunk
06-14-2016, 03:45 PM
So, basically, don't go around having unprotected sex with random people? Gotcha. How is that news? Oh yea, I know why! People are fucking idiots.

tacocorp
06-14-2016, 04:51 PM
I haven't read the report but the key factor is where are they getting this sampling of TG women from?

Exactly this, if they get samples from random street workers the percentage is of course gonna be much higher than the norm, whatever it may be.

thombergeron
06-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Folks, unless you're working in public health and trying to figure out how best to target interventions to reduce HIV and STI risk, there is no reason to focus on prevalence rates in any given population.

If you're having sexual contact with someone and you are not 100% certain of their sexual history, then all you need to know is that HIV and STI exist. Having sexual contact with anyone involves a degree of risk. Straight people carry STI. Gay people carry STI. Promiscuous people carry STI. Closeted people carry STI. For me, it doesn't matter if there's a 1 in 3.5 chance or a 1 in 51 chance that my partner is HIV-positive. I need to protect myself equally given any possibility of exposure. If there’s a 1 in x chance, there’s no way for you to know if your partner is the 1.

If you’re going to have casual sex, you’re accepting some STI risk no matter who your partner is. Use barrier methods always. PrEP is pretty interesting and promising, but we don’t fully understand it yet, and there are other chronic, incurable STI that are not HIV.

chupapau
06-14-2016, 08:44 PM
Folks, unless you're working in public health and trying to figure out how best to target interventions to reduce HIV and STI risk, there is no reason to focus on prevalence rates in any given population.

If you're having sexual contact with someone and you are not 100% certain of their sexual history, then all you need to know is that HIV and STI exist. Having sexual contact with anyone involves a degree of risk. Straight people carry STI. Gay people carry STI. Promiscuous people carry STI. Closeted people carry STI. For me, it doesn't matter if there's a 1 in 3.5 chance or a 1 in 51 chance that my partner is HIV-positive. I need to protect myself equally given any possibility of exposure. If there’s a 1 in x chance, there’s no way for you to know if your partner is the 1.

If you’re going to have casual sex, you’re accepting some STI risk no matter who your partner is. Use barrier methods always. PrEP is pretty interesting and promising, but we don’t fully understand it yet, and there are other chronic, incurable STI that are not HIV.

Hear hear, spoken with reason.

CaptainPlanet
06-14-2016, 10:25 PM
We live in a day and age where people still believe HIV and Aids to be Fake and Government made. The community is very quiet when the topic comes up, to many people that don't care to know and don't care for their own personal health, at the end of the day.

notdrunk
06-15-2016, 12:35 AM

Condom usage is still highly recommended when using PrEP . Recently, a Canadian man caught HIV even though he was using PrEP. Guess what he failed to do? Use a condom.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/06/12/hiv-prevention-drug-truvada-fails-for-toronto-man.html