PDA

View Full Version : How to overcome a battle with severe depression

DeezNuts515
12-31-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm presently in the dumps so badly that I barely even get out of bed. I won't take any prescription meds. I was prescribed Effexor in the past and it really messed me up.

Any survivors of a similar situation care to provide some insight?

Dudedude12345
12-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Go talk to somebody, that's how I got over it. If you have friends, make sure you talk to him

SXFX
12-31-2015, 10:55 PM
BIG MASSIVE HUGZ!
I know from someone you don't know it's a crock of shit but i hope this helps!

Look depression SUCKS! Sadly a vast majority of the meds out there work but they have side effects. But nothing bad! So first off see if you can get some professional help....don't be ashamed it happens.
Also if you have insurance get your hormones checked.....i was very very sad to the point where i was within minutes of offing myself.....turns out my testosterone was 200 when it needed to be 600....i now get a shot once a week and i feel much better.....more resilient.
Lastly.....try joining a gym, going for a walk to just visiting a tanning salon for a quick hit of UV rays and Vitamin D.

Best of luck huge hugs and i hope you feel better!

dytmook
12-31-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm presently in the dumps so badly that I barely even get out of bed. I won't take any prescription meds. I was prescribed Effexor in the past and it really messed me up.

Any survivors of a similar situation care to provide some insight?

It's not easy but there are different meds to help too. Just because one didn't work doesn't mean give up. Also finding a good doctor to treat all of you instead of throwing pills at a problem is key. It's a tough road. I'm having s down day myself. Gotta chip away sometimes. Little changes can help a lot

broncofan
01-01-2016, 12:59 AM
I have tried effexor and had a bad response. It also is one of the worst antidepressants when it comes to withdrawal symptoms (along with paxil). Effexor is a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, which may cause more anxiety than a plain ssri, because increased norepinephrine can have an activating effect.

Another problem I had is that doctors did not explain to me that it will often take 6 weeks for an antidepressant to have a therapeutic effect, which meant I would make up my mind about whether it was working before having enough info. The reason it may take some time to improve symptoms of depression is that antidepressants are now thought to work by increasing neurogenesis in the hippocampus. I can link a number of pubmed articles about this, as it is one of theories explaining the origin of affective disorders. Either way it seems the immediate effect of an acute increase in serotonin, or norepinephrine or dopamine if you take wellbutrin, is different from the therapeutic effect of taking the medicine longer term.

I began taking lexapro about 6 years ago. I have tinkered with other antidepressants but I have had great results with lexapro. Prior to taking it, I did not want to go to work, I did not want to do anything. After about six months of being on 20 mg, my life had improved quite a bit. It required some effort, but the lexapro allowed me to make choices without being hindered by a constant stream of negative thoughts. The side effects have not been too severe. There is some emotional blunting, slight weight gain, but often the side effects are dose dependent and will abate if you lower the dose.

broncofan
01-01-2016, 01:04 AM
..turns out my testosterone was 200 when it needed to be 600....i now get a shot once a week and i feel much better.....more resilient.
Good point. Another thing to look out for is thyroid. People with atypical depression often have subtle thyroid problems. Doctors will often not to make the distinction, but there is a difference between melancholic and atypical depression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melancholic_depression
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical_depression

Atypical depressives often respond to more activating meds because anergia is one of their main symptoms.

broncofan
01-01-2016, 01:16 AM
As non-doctors, it would obviously be reckless to recommend something in particular. A doctor would probably even be reckless to do so without seeing you. But I just wanted to say I had many failed antidepressant trials before finding one that worked. And as I said, effexor is notorious for having discontinuation symptoms, so what you experienced is not unusual, but I definitely empathize with you.

I only got a benefit when I had a doctor tell me to try an ssri (one with a lower side effect profile like lexapro or zoloft) and if I could tolerate the side effects, not to make up my mind about its efficacy for four to six weeks. That is a hell of a lot harder to do than it sounds when you have depression.

runningdownthatdream
01-01-2016, 01:33 AM
For me, it helps to get out of the house even if to just wander aimlessly about. Maybe go see a movie, go to a bookstore, anything that gets the mind distracted from sordid thoughts. Sometimes it takes tremendous willpower but usually it does work even if only temporarily. The thing is not to get caught in an ever-descending spiral. Also, vitamin B100 complex helps raise my energy and alertness which again helps to distract my thoughts. Once you become self-aware you should know when its coming on and become pro-active. I've never taken any medications to treat it.

joyboy123
01-01-2016, 01:49 AM
I've been there. Hot Yoga (Bikram if there is one near you). Every day for about a month can help turn things around. The yoga itself is not pleasant, but the heat will take you to a different place outside of your head.

holzz
01-01-2016, 01:53 AM
get a therapist. and find out the cause of it.

if it's your environment, change it.

Jimmy W
01-01-2016, 02:03 AM
For me, it helps to get out of the house even if to just wander aimlessly about. Maybe go see a movie, go to a bookstore, anything that gets the mind distracted from sordid thoughts. Sometimes it takes tremendous willpower but usually it does work even if only temporarily. The thing is not to get caught in an ever-descending spiral. Also, vitamin B100 complex helps raise my energy and alertness which again helps to distract my thoughts. Once you become self-aware you should know when its coming on and become pro-active. I've never taken any medications to treat it.

I absolutely agree. You may have to force yourself but get outside. Good luck.

CD_Sasha
01-01-2016, 02:04 AM
You're not alone. I suffer random bouts of depression and major social anxiety that some ppl *cough* DAN_CL *cough* think it's fake. Can't get outta the house sometimes and have major self doubt. I CD from time to time and I think other CDs can relate with me that there's a connection between depression and CDing but that's a different topic right there.

Do what you gotta do to relieve the depression though.. like someone mentioned - change the environment, turn on the lights, blast music, pump some iron or fap to HungAngel chicks :P

scarecrow_from_Oz
01-01-2016, 03:16 AM
I know this sounds silly, but good nutrition can help against depression:- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/depression/
Watch the vids and get back to me.

runningdownthatdream
01-01-2016, 03:29 AM
I know this sounds silly, but good nutrition can help against depression:- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/depression/
Watch the vids and get back to me.

From a glance at the content you've got posted there it seems your various postulations run the gamut from fish to acidic foods to pollutants and on and on and on. Usually when there's such an abundance of causes conveniently backed with a lot of pseudo-scientific 'studies' and 'facts', there's somebody kicking around with a magic remedy (a la Kevin Trudeau who I believe is now comfortably ensconced in a prison somewhere) and sure enough a quick glance at the first video turns up annoying Kevin Trudeau/Ron Popeil like voice and not so subtle sales pitch for a book at the end.

Maybe other people might be willing to give you a chance but I'll take a pass.

broncofan
01-01-2016, 03:44 AM
Maybe other people might be willing to give you a chance but I'll take a pass.
I agree. While nobody's experience is more valid than anyone else's, there are some things that work for intuitive reasons. Getting out when it's uncomfortable to do so can break through the inertia and rumination that accompanies depression. Cognitive behavioral therapy has support in clinical studies (to at least as great a degree as medicine) and can help someone re-frame negative thoughts. Part of depression is believing that a negative emotion is objective when it does not necessarily correspond to the reality of the situation.

I regret posting so adamantly about antidepressants when there are many other options that work for people and you've already said you are not interested. So I apologize for that. I really was too enthusiastic to share my experience.

There are a couple of nutritional options that have shown some benefit for people but often they are most effective when people have a nutritional deficiency or in people who do not metabolize certain nutrients. For instance, methylfolate has shown some benefit for people who cannot methylate dietary folate. But for people who can, it probably will not help.

Anyhow, I think considering some things we have offered can be helpful. It can never hurt to at least rule out low testosterone and low thyroid too which you can do with a simple blood test. I hope you can break through the self-reinforcing patterns of depression and I wish you a happy new year.

runningdownthatdream
01-01-2016, 04:00 AM
My post wasn't directed at you Broncofan.......as usual, you clearly and succinctly outlined what works for you and what doesn't. Over the years I've noticed you have a very analytical bent so any advice from you should be carefully considered. I haven't considered medication as yet perhaps because I think I've got through the worse of it years ago and now can more or less tell when I'm having an episode which then causes me to take corrective action. At one time I was VERY strongly opposed to medication as I could not handle the thought of having my personality artificially modified - trite perhaps but that's me. I do think eating properly can aid with overall health and the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe low testosterone is also a contributing factor.

This statement you made "Part of depression is believing that a negative emotion is objective when it does not necessarily correspond to the reality of the situation." sums up one of the most important symptoms that those who suffer with depression need to understand and recognize when it's occurring. Chaining together negative emotions is what leads to severe episodes and suicidal thoughts.

llemming
01-01-2016, 04:15 AM
Knowing you are not alone is a first step... Many of us have felt the same from time to time. This time of year can be difficult. Meditate, dance, practice yoga, talk with a therapist... find what works best for you. Hang in there!

Not making light of your situation, but this story makes me laugh. Hopefully, it can bring a smile to you as well!
http://popdust.com/2014/11/08/suicidal-guy-mexico-die-cocaine-hooker-orgies-will-live/

broncofan
01-01-2016, 04:16 AM
My post wasn't directed at you Broncofan...
This statement you made "Part of depression is believing that a negative emotion is objective when it does not necessarily correspond to the reality of the situation." .
Yeah I know. I just wanted to share the fact that I appreciated all of the other posts in this thread, including yours, and that I too was a bit skeptical about some nutritional recommendations in the same way you are because they often stoke paranoia about contaminants in the body and prey on certain tendencies of depressed people.

Christopher Hitchens once said that when he was trying to quit smoking he took Wellbutrin until he found out it was an antidepressant. He wanted his depression to be his own and did not want to artificially alter his moods. I thought this was weird because he was someone who smoked and drank, presumably for the changes in his brain chemistry, but accepted a host of obviously harmful side effects. Of course, I understand why someone would be more skeptical about a synthetic, mind altering substance than one that grows or can be brewed or fermented. The concern is reasonable and a lot of people are able to treat their depression without ever touching medicine.

I think in your last paragraph you home in on something that is weirdly both cause and symptom in depression. I bet all of the effective treatments do something to break up this pattern.

broncofan
01-01-2016, 04:23 AM
My post wasn't directed at you Broncofan.......
Yeah I see where I sowed confusion. I was playing off of your post and then I suddenly shifted out of nowhere to an apology to op. In the back of my head I felt bad about being the only one pushing the idea of medicines when op was pretty clear he did not want them.

tacocorp
01-01-2016, 04:34 AM
Hi! First of all, Happy New Year.

Now, I am not sure that my experience can help you, but hopefully it can.

So long story short, I was training since middle school, good success, everything seemed to go great, right up until college when I got the injury (torn ligaments, and unfortunate additional happenings) So as you may guess, no going pro, basically I was cut out of the only thing I had built my life on. So for a good while I stopped going out, dropped out of the college, basically I just sulked and wanted to die, but something held me back.. I talked to family and the friends then, finished the rehabilitation, rediscovered my love for workout and sports (unfortunately going pro still not an option) so I slowly got myself back to shape and started thinking... what should I do, well, I will not bother you with this, but let's just say I figured my path out and am about to open my own business.

And then, I love women, and since you are here, I guess you do too, so you could use this as a motivation then.

So I guess what I wanted to say, is that if I got through it (no medication as well) then you can too, and I will be hoping your 2016 goes great. Sorry for the long post and bad english, it's late and not my native tongue. :)

runningdownthatdream
01-01-2016, 05:29 AM
Yeah I see where I sowed confusion. I was playing off of your post and then I suddenly shifted out of nowhere to an apology to op. In the back of my head I felt bad about being the only one pushing the idea of medicines when op was pretty clear he did not want them.

I experience that frequently - a rush of thought to the head.........in my case I might just vomit out or a series of observations that are connected by things which aren't apparent to most around me. It's quite frustrating.

dunkiex
01-03-2016, 02:50 PM
As someone who has suffered from depression for years, I believe the most important thing to do is find a doctor to work with. Frequently doctors will look at a list of meds, and based on your specific symptoms, prescribe a med. It is their best guess. The key is, different people react differently to the same meds. As I am sure you know, the SSRIs often negatively impact your sex life. There are a couple of meds that do not do this. The first is nefazodone. That is the one I am on now, and for me, it works quite well. The other is bupropion (Wellbutrin). For me it worked quite well, but it can raise anxiety in some people. As a result, I had to take another med, buspar, to deal with the anxiety. I am a big believer in research. Look at the meds, check sites where people have tried it, and then talk to your doctor. Remember to give it time, but keep trying until you find something that works. Remember, read, think, and speak your mind. That is why you need the right doctor. Good luck.

peterpuffer
05-28-2016, 03:06 PM
This is a fun site for "us"/"me" to fulfill our dreams!

Don't bad mouth any thread or poster!

Don't use angry comments to comment on a post . . .you have the up/down thumbs!

Use them!

DeezNuts515
05-28-2016, 03:12 PM
So you went to all of this trouble to seek out a dead thread just to bitch about a comment made on yours? Your life must be worse than mine. *golf clap*

davo757
05-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Lexapro helps

peterpuffer
05-29-2016, 12:24 AM
I don't think so!
So you went to all of this trouble to seek out a dead thread just to bitch about a comment made on yours? Your life must be worse than mine. *golf clap*