PDA

View Full Version : Caitlyn Jenner's Glamour Women of the Year Award and the transphobic backlash

Dudedude12345
11-17-2015, 11:19 PM
These comments section is dumb on YouTube. When Kaitlyn Jenner receives the Glamour Women of the Year Award, Everybody went completely nuts. Now, Being black, white, Asian, Hispanic, man, woman, gay r straight shouldn't be an achievement. People in this world make something like this an achievement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDdEdC4z2w

dreamon
11-18-2015, 12:03 AM
The 9/11 firefighter who gave back his wife's Woman of the Year Award really pissed me off.

I'll say this. I don't think Caitlin was necessarily the best choice for the award. She may have made some great strides for the trans community this year, but she also was involved in a deadly "accident" that would have resulted in charges if she weren't so famous.

That said, I get a kick out of the faux outrage people are raising. Somehow she isn't as "qualified" as a woman because she is trans? Seriously... who the fuck gave a crap about the ESPY Courage Award until this year? Now it's somehow one of the most prestigious awards in the world? People need to get over themselves.

SanDiegoPervySage
11-18-2015, 12:38 AM
What did she do to win all these awards?

Dudedude12345
11-18-2015, 01:07 AM

Americans are judgmental.

SanDiegoPervySage
11-18-2015, 01:33 AM

Again, what did she do? I'm not judging anything. I seriously want to know.

I'm assuming you're not American and feel like your country is somehow less judgmental of people(it's just as judgmental as every other country)

Lester316
11-18-2015, 01:52 AM

I'll preface this by pointing out that I'm not an American... (not really sure why though).

What has she done that any other that any other individual that has recently transitioned hasn't?

Been involved in a multiple vehicle collision, avoiding criminal charges, although awaiting the events of two civil suits? Or has been the star of her own reality TV show maybe... Or belittled the efforts of women all over the world in pushing for equality by suggesting 'the hardest part of being a woman is deciding what to wear'.

I don't know a great deal about these awards for 'most glamorous woman' but I can't help but think they'd have a great deal more credibility in their support of transgender women if they gave the award to someone who didn't also happen to be a reality TV star. Of course they might be the entirely vapid type of awards that pander to exactly that type of culture; in which case she probably deserves her win.

Anyhow I have a great deal more respect for those that are brave enough to come out to friends, family and the world at large without the extra incentive of a reality TV cheque.

Dudedude12345
11-18-2015, 02:18 AM
Actually, that's how she won those awards. I am from america

dreamon
11-18-2015, 03:28 AM
I believe South Park summed up why she won the award pretty well in all honesty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXaTCP5K-vQ

MrFanti
11-18-2015, 04:09 AM

A perfectly valid question.
Or better yet.

What has Caitlyn done better to beat out say for example, Laverne Cox for this award?

rabbitfufu
11-18-2015, 06:37 AM
comming out at 65 after 2 marriages kids and a ton of money does not make you a hero. A person that is a HERO is sacrifice!!!!! :soapbox I have been part of thr trans community so long that if you crossedressed you were considered gay. I have followed many people from Rene Rchards to Chriastian Jorgansen. BRUCE JENNER is a fraud!!!

MrFanti
11-19-2015, 03:07 AM
Or......
How is Caitlyn more qualified for this award than say..Chris Tina Bruce?
http://www.christinabrucefitness.com/Chris_Tina_Bruce.php

lifeisfiction
11-19-2015, 04:18 AM
The 9/11 firefighter who gave back his wife's Woman of the Year Award really pissed me off.

I'll say this. I don't think Caitlin was necessarily the best choice for the award. She may have made some great strides for the trans community this year, but she also was involved in a deadly "accident" that would have resulted in charges if she weren't so famous.

That said, I get a kick out of the faux outrage people are raising. Somehow she isn't as "qualified" as a woman because she is trans? Seriously... who the fuck gave a crap about the ESPY Courage Award until this year? Now it's somehow one of the most prestigious awards in the world? People need to get over themselves.

I read that story about the guy said and I think he has a strong point. His prescient actually worked with at risk transgender youth and the LGBT community. In fact he thought Laverne Cox rightly deserve the award in years past. His problem is that he felt she was receiving the award for being part of the Kardashian clan, not really doing much to help others out there. I think a lot of people glossed the story and snippets report were only for sensationalizing the story.

Here is a link to the story. Don't watch the video. Read it, you might think differently of his statement. http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/16/living/widower-911-officer-glamour-award-caitlyn-jenner-feat/index.html