PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners as Guinea Pigs..........................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-15-2006, 12:20 AM
just wanted to get some thoughts on this................saw it on Court Tv a few minutes ago

The New York Times today reports on recommendations for loosening federal regulations on using experimental drugs on prison inmates made in June by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences at the request of the the Department of Health and Human Services' Office for Human Research Protections.

what I want to know is who is for this and who is against it?

I would be for it considering the following:

1. it would only be offered to LIFERS
2. the prisoners with the worst offenses (in prison or prior to prison) would be chosen 1st.............
and
3. female prisoners were excluded...........

specialk
08-15-2006, 12:45 AM
I saw this in the Times myself. Surely a throwback to Nazi Germany....mark me down as against JWBL.

Quinn
08-15-2006, 01:19 AM
LOL... What's with the exclusion of female inmates? I guess the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences hasn't heard of women's lib yet.

-Quinn

chefmike
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Sounds pretty draconian...unless it's on a volunteer basis with some kind of compensation for the inmate or his/her family...

Quinn
08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Sounds pretty draconian...unless it's on a volunteer basis with some kind of compensation for the inmate or his/her family...

This brings up an interesting point. This kind of experimentation has, in the past, been performed on prisoners in exchange for reduced sentences. Still, it sounds like a huge class-action lawsuit in the making – and that doesn't even address the ethical considerations.

-Quinn

houstonshemalefan
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
By choice only.

ezed
08-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Sounds like Clockwork Orange!

rt_saurus
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
3. female prisoners were excluded...........

and transsexuals!

oriolo
08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
What would be offered to the prisioners who accept to be part of those experiments? Reduced sentences? How about the victims of their crimes and they families, will they have a word to say?