PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision 2014

JenniferParisHusband
05-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Yes, most of the music is crap, and it's most often a joke to watch. But it's also a guilty pleasure of mine so I thought I'd see if anyone else was watching this year, and what they were thinking. Like....

Will England get into double digits this year?

Will Christina Wurst shave for the finals?

Will Poland be featuring a large number of ample bosomed women churning butter and bending to show off their cleavage?

Is the Belarus guy channeling Donnie Osmond while doing a poor Justine Timberlake / Robin Thicke impersonation?

And just why didn't the cake baking song get a spot?

Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts and who you want to win. Personally, I like the Azerbaijan entry "Start A Fire" the best, Ukraine is also pretty good this year.

Prospero
05-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Conchita Wurst - Rise Like A Phoenix (Austria) 2014 Eurovision Song Contest - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToqNa0rqUtY)

Gillian
05-10-2014, 09:08 AM
As one of the "big four" funders of the EBU (Italy were one but, true to form, slipped off the hook), I wonder how much longer the UK will accept being on the receiving end of blatantly political voting. Perhaps it's time Russia and the other eastern European countries paid their fair share and we can just turn our back on what's become one big camp singalong ... :D

rodinuk
05-10-2014, 10:42 AM
I love the Eurovision Song Contest - great songs, great characters and great fun :dancing:

Mmmmmmm Dana International :salad

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4811/93857791.14d/0_1869c1_d3eb442a_orig.jpg

Prospero
05-10-2014, 10:43 AM
ah the lovely Dana... I wonder what happened to her

rodinuk
05-10-2014, 11:41 AM
She's active in the music/media world still recording and has a music reality show to find the next Israeli girl group.

She's a total character - would love to meet her!

Stavros
05-10-2014, 11:45 AM
The only real interest tonight will be how many votes the entries from Russia and the Ukraine receive -not to mention the prospect that they might not vote at all for each other...

Prospero
05-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Not the only interest S.... apparently the voting from the crimea will still be part of the Ukrainian vote even though it is now virtually a part of Russia. This is due to a tie up with a Ukrainian based mobile phone company.

Plus the ludicrous spectacle still exerts a horrid fascination.

Stavros
05-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks Prospero, I wasn't as well informed as you on this compelling competition. Apparently more people watch the voting than watch the music! I wonder why...

Turlington
05-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Dammit...it's a mind fuck watching Conchita with that beard! Shave it and she's a LOT hotter...

That's actually the first time I'm hearing her voice...not bad...

stejav
05-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Dammit...it's a mind fuck watching Conchita with that beard! Shave it and she's a LOT hotter...

That's actually the first time I'm hearing her voice...not bad...

A dude with a beard , makeup and long weave is a SHE now?!!!
You guys are really some confused characters on here. That is just a fucking drag queen and as far as i'm concerned that's a MAN.

Jericho
05-10-2014, 01:58 PM
The whole fucking thing's a nonsense!

Turlington
05-10-2014, 02:28 PM
A dude with a beard , makeup and long weave is a SHE now?!!!
You guys are really some confused characters on here. That is just a fucking drag queen and as far as i'm concerned that's a MAN.
I'm far from confused, and I know it's a drag queen. If Thomas himself uses the female pronouns while dressed up, so will I.

JenniferParisHusband
05-10-2014, 05:31 PM
As one of the "big four" funders of the EBU (Italy were one but, true to form, slipped off the hook), I wonder how much longer the UK will accept being on the receiving end of blatantly political voting. Perhaps it's time Russia and the other eastern European countries paid their fair share and we can just turn our back on what's become one big camp singalong ... :D

UKIP promised if elected to take the UK out of Eurovision. So, I guess that's a reason to vote for them... can't really think of any others.

The only real interest tonight will be how many votes the entries from Russia and the Ukraine receive -not to mention the prospect that they might not vote at all for each other...

From a purely talent perspective, the Russia song is shite. I love the Ukraine one though. It's probably my second favorite. I imagine Russia will get at least 8 points from Ukraine, I doubt the Russians will be as generous.

JenniferParisHusband
05-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Well, I guess this explains the winner.

Turlington
05-11-2014, 01:09 AM
Winning, bitches!

maxpower
05-11-2014, 03:53 AM
I imagine Russia will get at least 8 points from Ukraine, I doubt the Russians will be as generous.

The Russians will give them points, but they're going to take them back later.

Prospero
05-11-2014, 08:13 AM
The wurst was the best....

TatianaSummer
05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
conchitas performance was very nice, and I loved her dress! can we invite her to the next Trans awards? I already forgot the new name. sorry.

Chaingunner
05-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Winning, bitches!

Please lose the beard Conchita.....

Stavros
05-11-2014, 01:20 PM
What was the name of the song again -Rise like a Penis? (pinched from the Guardian)...

LibertyHarkness
05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
wow is this shit still going on telly lol

Buzz
05-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Conchita Wurst's Eurovision win slammed by Russia as politician brands it 'the end of Europe'

MP also refers to the drag queen as 'it' in controversial broadcast on state television

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3525330.ece/alternates/s615/Conchita-Wurst-and-Vladimir-Putin.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/russia-slams-eurovision-winner-conchita-3525396

Winkle
05-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Conchita Wurst's Eurovision win slammed by Russia as politician brands it 'the end of Europe'

MP also refers to the drag queen as 'it' in controversial broadcast on state television

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3525330.ece/alternates/s615/Conchita-Wurst-and-Vladimir-Putin.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/russia-slams-eurovision-winner-conchita-3525396

Putin didn't make the comments and yet the article shows his picture, interesting......

Buzz
05-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Putin didn't make the comments and yet the article shows his picture, interesting......

The authors of the article and its photo editor probably remember this from last year:

Vladimir Putin signs anti-gay propaganda bill
Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed into law a bill punishing people for homosexual "propaganda", in a move critics fear will fuel hate crimes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10151790/Vladimir-Putin-signs-anti-gay-propaganda-bill.html

alpha2117
05-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I love the whole Genderfuck thing Conchita has going on. Sometimes the world needs someone to wander out and give it the proverbial finger. It's not about sex or even sexuality to be honest it's about peoples perceptions of those things. Drag does it, pro Wrestling does it and some art does it too ... the most influential work of art of the 20th Century as voted by critics was a Urinal turned on it's side, surely they were taking the piss?

Nobody takes Eurovision seriously which is why Conchita or Lordi or Dana International can come out and win. If you come out and do something memorably outside the box you can win.

I always remember when Ireland was winning a lot and the Father Ted comedy show did an episode where they wanted to throw the competition by selecting the worst choice imaginable to ensure they didn't have to host it again. Take a look at some of those acts that get sent and ask yourself if those acts were entered purely for the sake of talking points. It's a lot better to be interesting than good but not good enough to win.

martin48
05-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Conchita winning - who sung well - gave me some faith in humankind and blind intolerance is not as common as we all think.

martin48
05-11-2014, 05:52 PM
"My Lovely Horse" from Father Ted was a classic

Father Ted - Best bits - My lovely horse - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBH9V9cxbY)

stejav
05-11-2014, 06:45 PM

That's just the western propaganda to dirty up the name of the great Mr Putin

Turlington
05-11-2014, 07:58 PM

JenniferParisHusband
05-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Nobody takes Eurovision seriously which is why Conchita or Lordi or Dana International can come out and win. If you come out and do something memorably outside the box you can win.

I always remember when Ireland was winning a lot and the Father Ted comedy show did an episode where they wanted to throw the competition by selecting the worst choice imaginable to ensure they didn't have to host it again. Take a look at some of those acts that get sent and ask yourself if those acts were entered purely for the sake of talking points. It's a lot better to be interesting than good but not good enough to win.

I don't know. I think the UK is really the only country that doesn't take it seriously. But if they keep sending crap acts, they aren't going to win. Send Muse one of these years, or Adelle and watch how well they do. It always bugs me a little when people talk about the "Crap Acts" or how "weird" the rest of Europe is. It's not that they're weird or crap, they're just different. I spent a year in Russia. the Russian twins are very much what is entertainment in Russia.

robertlouis
05-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Having spent a lot of time in Austria, I can assure you that in the sentence "Austrian Drag Queen wins Eurovision", the weirdest word by far is "Austrian."

Stavros
05-12-2014, 11:54 AM
It might also be of interest that the figures released show that in the UK Poland won the popular vote, and that overall Poland would have polled far higher than it did:

The UK jury... placed the Poles in last place, with an average ranking of 25. The UK public, however, couldn't have felt more differently about Donatan and Cleo's performance, selecting the Polish act as their favourite.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/eurovision/10823111/Poland-were-the-real-Eurovision-winners-say-UK-public.html

It is a pity that a song competition ends up being about the performer, with the winner this time being a poor singer, Conchita's voice lacks depth, colour and expression; at least Dana International can sing, and produced a zippy disco type number that had instant appeal.

Meanwhile, for those who are interested, the BBC Young Musician of the Year 2014 has been producing an awesome display of teenage musicians, the percussion section was particularly good this year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00bb3wt

JPeterson
05-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Just heard the Bake The Cake song on someone's facebook not sure how that didn't do well.

martin48
05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Now on sale in Austria - very moorish

alpha2117
05-13-2014, 03:02 PM
It might also be of interest that the figures released show that in the UK Poland won the popular vote, and that overall Poland would have polled far higher than it did:

The UK jury... placed the Poles in last place, with an average ranking of 25. The UK public, however, couldn't have felt more differently about Donatan and Cleo's performance, selecting the Polish act as their favourite.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/eurovision/10823111/Poland-were-the-real-Eurovision-winners-say-UK-public.html

It is a pity that a song competition ends up being about the performer, with the winner this time being a poor singer, Conchita's voice lacks depth, colour and expression; at least Dana International can sing, and produced a zippy disco type number that had instant appeal.

Meanwhile, for those who are interested, the BBC Young Musician of the Year 2014 has been producing an awesome display of teenage musicians, the percussion section was particularly good this year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00bb3wt

Poland ... ahhh Poland ... the Butter Churning ... the Washboard ... the impressive Cleavage. I dont think talent was behind that popularity ... well not signing talent.

I thought Conchita sang well, I thought a couple of others were better. I loved Norway's bouncer and I think it was Montenegro that was really impressive early, a few others too. None stood out as being way in front of the field though.

Prospero
05-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Not a single song was any good at all. It was and has for a long time been about spectacle - and politics of course.

JenniferParisHusband
05-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Not a single song was any good at all. It was and has for a long time been about spectacle - and politics of course.

"Start A Fire," by the girl from Azerbaijan is really good, but you have to be into singers like Diana Krall and Norah Jones who have more of a softer jazzy style.

The Dutch song is a country music song, it would have done well in the states.

The rest were pretty much awful. I'm still trying to figure out the bake a cake thing.

Stavros
05-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Aarzemnieki - Cake To Bake (Latvia) 2014 Eurovision Song Contest - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CL8anA1hQ)

JenniferParisHusband
05-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Stavros, yeah, that's the song. I still don't get it. Especially what Latvian Richard Marx is doing with the Shaker and the whole "Piece of Cake" thing. strange. If that's the extent of Latvian music, I think I'd be begging Putin to invade just to have the Russian conjoined hair girls representing me instead.

Stavros
05-14-2014, 12:44 AM
At least he didn't leave the cake out in the rain...and it is actually one of the better songs of the ones I heard.

PEPE3Z
05-16-2014, 07:34 AM
A small detail none saw