PDA

View Full Version : Bagels

Stavros
01-17-2014, 07:43 PM
I have been informed in the Word Association thread that there is a shop/chain that sells Bagels called Einstein's, which I had not heard of before. Relatively speaking...are they any good compared to others?

Is it true you can't get a tasty bagel in Los Angeles?

First time I had bagels was in a place I think on 6th Ave in Manhattan -Stein's?- I don't think it is there now. The waitress was from the Bronx and kept asking if we wanted another coyfee which is as close I can get to the accent.

Prospero
01-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Best bagels in London are sold on Brick Lane

flabbybody
01-17-2014, 09:39 PM
What we know as the ring shaped rolls with chewy bread on the inside and a crispy golden crust on the outside was invented by Al Bagelberg in 1875. He was a German Jew from Berlin who was frustrated that the current bread type of his day lacked the structural integrity to support large amounts of lox and cream cheese.
Bagelberg emigrated to New York City in 1904, shortened his name to try and sound Protestant, and opened a bagel store in the Bronx. Only a very small group of people were given his secret perperation process and rumor has it that New York City municipal water is a vital component.
That would be the best explanation as to why true bagels are only found in the New York area.

GroobyKrissy
01-17-2014, 09:51 PM
We have Einstein's in Portland and it is not bad... for a chain. Personally, I think you'll never really find the quality you want in any food at any [true] franchise or chain restaurant.

I loved Noah's before Einstein (I think) bought them out, but they got progressively worse as they got bigger and bigger before being bought out, IMO. There used to be this little place where I grew up in CA called simply, "The Bagel Bakery", which was awesome. Then they expanded with a few stores and last time I went home and went, it was noticeably worse.

The best consistent bagel quality that I've found has been in this little store on Polk Street in San Francisco. It is one of my MUST stop places when I hit SF. I can't, for the life of me, remember the name... it is by Crustacean though.

Also, bagels make for good, edible cock-rings for those so inclined. Wendy...? I expect to see this soon.

Prospero
01-18-2014, 12:52 AM
Good little fable Flabby. But i have a jewish pal from Montreal who insists the best bagels in the world are made there. So can it really be the water?

Stavros
01-18-2014, 03:47 AM
Good little fable Flabby. But i have a jewish pal from Montreal who insists the best bagels in the world are made there. So can it really be the water?

He might be referring to Schwartz's on the Blv St Laurent -I tried to go there for lunch a few years ago but there was a queue outside although there are rival places. I just recall the New York bagels being particularly fine, I think Flabbybody's explanation is key. Why for example does French bread always taste so different in France? Air? Water?

Tapatio
01-18-2014, 06:38 AM

Since he's Jewish, this is extra valid.

jerseygirlangie
01-18-2014, 03:15 PM
It's difficult to find a classic NY bagel, even in NYC - the classic bakers are retiring, or being pushed out of their original locations by real estate development. Plus, with the popularity of mass-market ( AKA, bread shaped like a ring ) bagels, there has been less and less demand for the original, idiosyncratic, and more expensive to produce true NY bagel.
Montreal bagels, though, are classics in their own way . ( Schwartz's is a deli, with amazing smoked meats, BTW . While they might carry bagels, they're not a bagel baker. ) Fairmount puts out an incredible product - it's by no means something to compare to a NY bagel, but a classic in it's own right. I didn't think that I would like a bagel that was "sweet", but it works - and works beautifully !
St-Viateur bagels are also supposed to be excellent, but I can't personally confirm that .

sucu
01-18-2014, 03:24 PM
http://www.hhbagels.com/ A True New York Bagel

Prospero
01-18-2014, 03:49 PM
I had excellent bagels in Florida two weeks ago - every bit as good as the NY version. They came from a Jewish bakery. I think the essential thing is preparing them properly. The things sold in UK supermarkets as bagels are simply NOT bagels at all.

Jericho
01-18-2014, 03:52 PM
I got one from Tescos.
It were awright, but nothing to brag about ont interweb! :shrug

RallyCola
01-18-2014, 03:54 PM
there are 1000s of places to get authentic bagels in my fair city. outside of gotham, i have never had a bagel that impressed me. there was 1 place in SD that wasn't terrible but chain's like einstein's or breugger's are poor excuses for food.

Prospero
01-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Brick Lane... RallyCola... if you're ever in London go the Jewish bakery there. Mind you in britain we pronounce it Bygels... don't ask!

flabbybody
01-18-2014, 06:00 PM
http://www.hhbagels.com/ A True New York Bagel
sucu your link doesn't open.
but what's left of H&H is not the original one that was on 46th off West Side Hwy. It was started by 2 Puerto Rican brothers back in the 1970's but got shut down due to several tax violations (they never paid any)
secret ingredient: They put brown sugar in the dough.

Ananke
01-18-2014, 06:27 PM
I never had a bagel that impressed me. Maybe I never managed to find the real thing.
Or is it the Holy Grail?

sucu
01-18-2014, 06:30 PM
but what's left of H&H is not the original one that was on 46th off West Side Hwy. It was started by 2 Puerto Rican brothers back in the 1970's but got shut down due to several tax violations (they never paid any)
That's awesome Flab
They were a great bagel. Had them once years ago. B Sawdust on floors and bagels as big as small plate .

Stavros
01-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Brick Lane... RallyCola... if you're ever in London go the Jewish bakery there. Mind you in britain we pronounce it Bygels... don't ask!

Isn't it a Yiddish way of saying bagel? Actually surprised there are still any Jews left in Tower Hamlets, the community that once was has been in decline long enough.

Stavros
01-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Sugar in a bagel? No thanks. They sell some with raisins in them in Tesco but I won't touch them.

ralyear56
01-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Ess-a-bagel on 21st street and First Avenue in New York is my all-time favorite!

sukumvit boy
01-18-2014, 08:41 PM
And don't forget bialys .
When I lived in NYC I always went down to the Lower East Side , Grand Street , for the best Kosher baked goods.
Also try the poppy seed babka.

sukumvit boy
01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Kossar's does mail order.
http://www.kossarsbialys.com/bialy%20making.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kossar's_Bialys

sucu
01-19-2014, 02:26 AM
And don't forget bialys .
When I lived in NYC I always went down to the Lower East Side , Grand Street , for the best Kosher baked goods.
Also try the poppy seed babka.
OMG I want a hot Bialy

broncofan
01-19-2014, 03:25 AM
Bialys is something special. If I remember, there are lots of good delicatessens in NYC, but those were some of the best bagels I've had.