View Full Version : Haditha Iraq,Wats Up Wit Dat !?

White_Male_Canada
06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Took time to find an in depth article on the place:

Under US noses, brutal insurgents rule Sunni citadel

Guardian gains rare access to Iraqi town and finds it fully in control of 'mujahideen'

Omer Mahdi in Haditha and Rory Carroll in Baghdad

The executions are carried out at dawn on Haqlania bridge, the entrance to Haditha. A small crowd usually turns up to watch even though the killings are filmed and made available on DVD in the market the same afternoon.

One of last week's victims was a young man in a black tracksuit. Like the others he was left on his belly by the blue iron railings at the bridge's southern end. His severed head rested on his back, facing Baghdad. Children cheered when they heard that the next day's spectacle would be a double bill: two decapitations. A man named Watban and his brother had been found guilty of spying.

With so many alleged American agents dying here Haqlania bridge was renamed Agents' bridge. Then a local wag dubbed it Agents' fridge, evoking a mortuary, and that name has stuck.
A three-day visit by a reporter working for the Guardian last week established what neither the Iraqi government nor the US military has admitted: Haditha, a farming town of 90,000 people by the Euphrates river, is an insurgent citadel.

That Islamist guerrillas were active in the area was no secret but only now has the extent of their control been revealed. They are the sole authority, running the town's security, administration and communications.

A three-hour drive north from Baghdad, under the nose of an American base, it is a miniature Taliban-like state. Insurgents decide who lives and dies, which salaries get paid, what people wear, what they watch and listen to.

Haditha exposes the limitations of the Iraqi state and US power on the day when the political process is supposed to make a great leap - a draft constitution finalised and approved by midnight tonight.

For politicians and diplomats in Baghdad's fortified green zone the constitution is a means to stabilise Iraq and woo Sunni Arabs away from the rebellion. For Haditha, 140 miles north-west of the capital, whether a draft is agreed is irrelevant. Residents already have a set of laws and rules promulgated by insurgents.

Within minutes of driving into town the Guardian was stopped by a group of men and informed about rule number one: announce yourself. The mujahideen, as they are known locally, must know who comes and goes.

The Guardian reporter did not say he worked for a British newspaper. For their own protection interviewees cannot be named.

There is no fighting here because there is no one to challenge the Islamists. The police station and municipal offices were destroyed last year and US marines make only fleeting visits every few months.

Two groups share power. Ansar al-Sunna is a largely homegrown organisation, though its leader in Haditha is said to be foreign. Al-Qaida in Iraq, known locally by its old name Tawhid al-Jihad, is led by the Jordanian-born Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. There was a rumour that Zarqawi, Washington's most wanted militant after Osama bin Laden, visited early last week. True or not, residents wanted to believe they had hosted such a celebrity.

A year ago Haditha was just another sleepy town in western Anbar province, deep in the Sunni triangle and suspicious of the Shia-led government in Baghdad but no insurgent hotbed.

Then, say residents, arrived mostly Shia police with heavyhanded behaviour. "That's how it began," said one man. Attacks against the police escalated until they fled, creating a vacuum filled by insurgents.

Alcohol and music deemed unIslamic were banned, women were told to wear headscarves and relations between the sexes were closely monitored. The mobile phone network was shut down but insurgents retained their walkie-talkies and satellite phones. Right-hand lanes are reserved for their vehicles.

From attacks on US and Iraqi forces it is clear that other Anbar towns, such as Qaim, Rawa, Anna and Ramadi, are to varying degrees under the sway of rebels.

In Haditha hospital staff and teachers are allowed to collect government salaries in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar, but other civil servants have had to quit.

Last year the US trumpeted its rehabilitation of a nearby power plant: "The incredible progress at Haditha is just one example of the huge strides made by the US army corps of engineers."

Now insurgents earn praise from residents for allegedly pressuring managers to supply electricity almost 24 hours a day, a luxury denied the rest of Iraq.

The court caters solely for divorces and marriages. Alleged criminals are punished in the market. The Guardian witnessed a headmaster accused of adultery whipped 190 times with cables. Children laughed as he sobbed and his robe turned crimson.

Two men who robbed a foreign exchange shop were splayed on the ground. Masked men stood on their hands while others broke their arms with rocks. The shopkeeper offered the insurgents a reward but they declined.

DVDs of beheadings on the bridge are distributed free in the souk. Children prefer them to cartoons. "They should not watch such things," said one grandfather, but parents appeared not to object.

One DVD features a young, blond muscular man who had been disembowelled. He was said to have been a member of a six-strong US sniper team ambushed and killed on August 1. Residents said he had been paraded in town before being executed.

The US military denied that, saying six bodies were recovered and that all appeared to have died in combat. Shortly after the ambush three landmines killed 14 marines in a convoy which ventured from their base outside the town.

Twice in recent months marines backed by aircraft and armour swept into Haditha to flush out the rebels. In a pattern repeated across Anbar there were skirmishes, a few suspects killed or detained, and success was declared.

In reality, said residents, the insurgents withdrew for a few days and returned when the Americans left. They have learned from last November's battle in Falluja, when hundreds died fighting the marines and still lost the city.

Now their strategy appears to be to wait out the Americans, calculating they will leave within a few years, and then escalate what some consider the real war against a government led by Shias, a rival sect which Sunni extremists consider apostasy.

The US military declined to respond to questions detailing the extent of insurgent control in the town.

T here was evidence of growing cooperation between rebels. A group in Falluja, where the resistance is said to be regrouping, wrote to Haditha requesting background checks on two volunteers from the town.

One local man in his 40s told the Guardian he wanted to be a suicide bomber to atone for sins and secure a place in heaven. "But the mujahideen will not let me. They said I had eight children and it was my duty to look after them."

Tribal elders said they feared but respected insurgents for keeping order and not turning the town into a battleground.

They appear to have been radicalised, and condemned Sunni groups, such as the Iraqi Islamic party and the Muslim Scholars' Association, for engaging in the political process.

The constitution talks, the referendum due in October, the election due in December: all are deemed collaboration punishable by death. The task now is to bleed the Americans and destabilise the government. Some call that nihilism. Haditha calls it the future.

· Omer Mahdi was in Haditha for a Guardian Films project before security precautions forced it to be suspended.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1553781,00.html

White_Male_Canada
06-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Reuters journalist freed in Iraq (the Haditha "reporter")
By Alastair Macdonald

June 1, 2006

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - An Iraqi journalist working for Reuters was released from U.S. military custody at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad on Thursday after 12 days in detention.

Ali al-Mashhadani, 37, was arrested by U.S. Marines in his home town of Ramadi on May 20 when he went to a U.S. base to retrieve Reuters telephones taken from him earlier that week.

He spent five months in U.S. custody last year before being released without charge in January.

Though again no specific allegation or charge was leveled against him, U.S. officials said last week he was held as a security threat. Marines interrogated him intensively about his work as a journalist in the restive Sunni province of Anbar.

The Marines did not contact Reuters at any stage and neither his employer, his family or lawyer had any access to Mashhadani.

Senior U.S. commanders in Baghdad were, however, in contact with Reuters and once he was transferred to their direct control two days ago, Mashhadani was released under a fast-track procedure for reviewing the detention of journalists.

That system was put in place by the military after it held Mashhadani and two other Reuters journalists last year.

Reuters’ Managing Editor David Schlesinger said the London-based news agency welcomed the cooperation of military officials in Baghdad but was concerned at the journalist’s initial arrest and lengthy interrogation in Ramadi:

"We are hoping for an explanation from the Marines of why our journalist was again subjected to this treatment for over a week when his integrity and professionalism had already been amply demonstrated to them during his previous internment."

Under U.S. rules, local commanders can hold people for 14 days before releasing them or sending them to Abu Ghraib.

EXPEDITED RELEASE

"We appreciate the critical role objective journalists play in covering events in Iraq and recognize that the execution of their responsibilities may put them at various locations on the battlefield. We clearly do not want to generate the perception that we are discouraging their presence," said Lieutenant Colonel Keir-Kevin Curry, spokesman for detainee operations.

"In cases where the individual was performing a legitimate function and not determined to be an imperative security threat an expedited release would be appropriate."

As many as seven journalists for international media groups were held by the U.S. military in Iraq at one stage last year. One such journalist, from Ramadi, is currently being held.

Mashhadani, who reports and provides video and pictures, is one of a small number of journalists providing news from Anbar province, where U.S. Marines and Sunni Arab insurgents, including al Qaeda militants, are locked in a fierce conflict.

Killings of journalists by all sides in Iraq have made it the deadliest war for the profession and reporters in Anbar, like Mashhadani, work under permanent threat from militant groups hostile to the international media.

Among Mashhadani’s recent stories was reporting from the town of Haditha in March. Following Time magazine’s revelation of accusations that U.S. Marines shot dead 24 civilians there in November, he filmed fresh interviews with local officials and residents that were widely used by international media.

A U.S. military investigation is nearing a conclusion and U.S. officials say charges, including murder, may result.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060601/ts_nm/iraq_reuters_dc

DeathFox
06-02-2006, 02:01 AM
American soldiers are mindless drones

White_Male_Canada
06-02-2006, 02:13 AM

Yes yes,they`re all robots and those who blow up men women and children at random with car bombs, slice the heads off civilians are freedom fighters.

I expected a more rational reply. Like , " Who is this self titled reporter Ali al-Mashhadani and his relationship with so called Hammurabi Organisation for Monitoring Human Rights and Democracy who were first on the scene?"

Or " What relationship is there ,if any,with the head of HOMHR, Abdel Rahman al-Mashhadani and the "reporter" Ali al-Mashhadani ?"

But hey,that takes inquisitive minds who want facts and answers,not drones,who repeat what they are told.

DeathFox
06-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Soldiers will do anything a commander tolds them. An officer tells them to jump, they jump. And thats fact. And you don't actually slice off a head, you use a dull sharp object and cut the head slowly. Ever killed a chicken before? If you have and have seen it done, thats how they "slice" off the head

DamionXXX
06-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

Shandus
06-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Amen, Damion. Well said. I was in the Army for 3 years and was over in Desert Storm, and I saw the same things you did.

Deathfox, you should just go away. We have enough drama on these forums without some ignorant little asshole who hasn't been in the situation to be spewing rhetoric about "Soldiers will do whatever a commanding officer tells them."

I guarantee you that I questioned my superiors plenty of times and refused any order I knew to be illegal. (But then, I was smarter than the average soldier...).

Quinn
06-02-2006, 04:32 AM

LMFAO @ "DeathFox." What leads one to develop such an underwhelming grasp of even the most basic of issues? It could be this:

We both lived our whole lives here [Philippines]. She lived here for 20 years, and Ive lived here for 19 years and 11 months

I think that said it all. You’re just some silly little kid who has obviously never seen or done anything, let alone served in the military and seen combat. In the end, your uneducated and inexperienced opinion means even less than your obviously impaired judgment:

I would gladly kill to be in the same jail cell with Sylvia Boots

-Quinn

Always Out Front!!!

DeathFox
06-02-2006, 04:58 AM
@damoin
All i know is all the action you've ever had in the army was with some guys in some private area. so stfu, you obviously don't know the reality that soldiers are crap. Heck, you're patriot "Army" bros gang-raped a Filipina here a few months ago. Or are they immune to the law coz their "American Soldiers". Fact is, you served BEFORE.... That was then, this is now and things tend to change. And you talk big, like you have ever seen people dieing around you. And do you even know the main reason people are dieing in Iraq? Its coz American soldiers wont get off their land. That simple

@Quinn

Hmmm... you do realize there are tons of rebels in the Philippines or are you talking out of ur ass? And as far as I remember, 7 years ago 3 people died a few metres from me coz of the philippine army who can't distinguish who the rebels and civilians are.

Quinn
06-02-2006, 05:32 AM
@damoin
All i know is all the action you've ever had in the army was with some guys in some private area. so stfu, you obviously don't know the reality that soldiers are crap. Heck, you're patriot "Army" bros gang-raped a Filipina here a few months ago. Or are they immune to the law coz their "American Soldiers". Fact is, you served BEFORE.... That was then, this is now and things tend to change. And you talk big, like you have ever seen people dieing around you. And do you even know the main reason people are dieing in Iraq? Its coz American soldiers wont get off their land. That simple

@Quinn

Hmmm... you do realize there are tons of rebels in the Philippines or are you talking out of ur ass? And as far as I remember, 7 years ago 3 people died a few metres from me coz of the philippine army who can't distinguish who the rebels and civilians are.

Nearly shot by soldiers? Sure you were, Benigno Aquino.... It's a shame their supposed shots weren't just a few more meters off. As for talking out of my ass, if I were, I suppose it would sound something like this:

or maybe it would sound like this:

I would gladly kill to be in the same jail cell with Sylvia Boots

Congradulations, "DeathFox," on being the new village idiot.

-Quinn

BeardedOne
06-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Decisions, decisions...

Should I join this debate? Nah, BTDT, no-one listens anyway. :roll:

My side, your side, all around the countryside. Feh. :x

I've never been in the military, never will be. Health issues mostly, but just as much that I don't want to be shot at (BTDT too, in the US of A, with the guns in the hands of the supposed 'good guys').

But I will never diss them. Ever. Because they do the shit we won't or can't and make it possible for us to live our lives as we do.

Do they do/commit crimes or crap we don't want to admit to? Yah. Shit happens. People, as a whole, are shits, looking for time or place to =be= a shit.

War is war. Atrocites happen. They should be found, investigated, and punished.

Don't like the war? Don't piss on the grunt that doesn't want to be there. Shit on the moron that =put= them there. And keep doing it until the war/conflict/police action is over.

*Grumble* *Mutter* *Piss* *Bitch* *Moan* :soapbox

DamionXXX
06-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

ezed
06-02-2006, 07:08 AM
yeah those damn american soldiers, they just all decided one day to go to iraq for kicks... what a fucking retard

you want to insult my military career you fucking worm... and call people like me murderers just because of a few fucked up soldiers...

yes I agree the village idiot award goes to DeathFox...

I served honorably you fucking jackass and I take your vile fucking moronic insults personally because I lost a good friend in that desert...

his name was Kevin Summers and he didnt want to be there, and he was one of the nicest soldiers I ever had in my squad. He didnt abuse POWs or injure women and children either he stood at a checkpoint all day in 130 degree heat using a metal detector making sure nobody tryed to enter the US compound with weapons... he was shot through the neck by a teenaged kid...

go ahead asshole tell me what a faggot he was, tell me how we were butt buddies, call him a murderer you stinking pile of garbage...

take a close look coward he is the guy standing next to me ( the short one ) we were supposed to go home in less than a month... want his address you can write a letter to his parents and tell them how much you hate him too... I didnt like the letter I had to write his parents...

he enlisted because he came from a poor a family and didnt have fantastic grades but knew he could do 4 years in the army and get the money for college to better himself... explain to me how he was a bad person?

Damion, it's like talking to a wall. The guy is a fucking moron with no human understanding. This is Deathfox...........