PDA

View Full Version : Gracie back in UFC

plainBob
05-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Gracie is back in the ring tonite on paypreview. Its going to be a good fight.

laoda8
05-28-2006, 12:39 AM
eh, wrong gracie.

PapiQueRico
05-28-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm going with Mat Hughes tonight. Gracie is a legend, but I think Hughes can take him. Then, in the next big fight, I got Tito over Shamrock.

http://www.diodeo.com/data1/data1/2005/8/000402858-Tito.gif

plainBob
05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't know. Gracie is good so is Hughes. Its going to be hard to call.

Jasadin
05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
I've always wondered how Brazilian Jujitsu would match up against a real Shaolin fighting monk?

plainBob
05-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Don't think Shaw Brothers made that movie. 8)

PapiQueRico
05-28-2006, 03:42 PM
175 lbs Special Challenge - Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie

Almost a Pride-like entrance with big music, colored lights, and the swirling spot lights on the crowd. Royce enters first with father Helio and brother (I forget which one) at his side. Crowd cheers huge at Royce as he dances into the ring in shorts (no gi) and looking pencil thin.

Big John is in the cage chatting with Royce.

Country Boy Can Survive plays for Matt Hughes' entrance. Matt comes out in a sweaty Xyience tee shirt accompanied by Pat Miletich and his team. Matt is thick and ripped as always.

Hughes vs Gracie round 1 with Big John as ref.

Royce stands perfectly still while Matt paces during the intros. Three 5 minute rounds. Crowd is solidly behind Gracie. Great introduction by Buffer for Royce. Matt gets similar treatment by Buffer as the crowd seems to have some boos in it. It looks like fans want Royce to win for sentimentality.

Round 1 starts!

Leg kick and high kick by Royce misses as Matt stalks. More low leg kicks by Royce niss. Matt tries a left jab. Leg kick by Matt connects. Royce seems tentative but throws more leg kicks and Matt answers with one. They tie up at the fence and trade knees, Matt lands kneed and they go to the ground in the center of the cage iwth Matt in side control. Matt controlling from the side as Royce tries to roll but is stopped. Matt isn't afraid of being on the ground with Royce and drops elbows to Royce's ribs. Royce spins and gets Matt in half guard. Matt gets kimura on Royce and is breaking it. It is bent bad and looks popped as Royce won't react. Royce uses that arm to grab Matts head. Matt back in side control and now gets Royce's back looking for the rear naked choke. Matt ground and pound to the back of Royce and the back of Royce's head. Matt winning through his strength. Wow, Matt is tying up Royce and riding his back. Royce eating bad punches from his back and the referee stops it. Matt rained down punches to Royce's head from the rear until the referee stopped it. That arm was in bad shape and hopefully it wasn't broken. Crowd boo'ing Matt.

Matt Hughes defeats Royce Gracie by referee stoppage (strikes) in the first round.

Rogan interviews Hughes. Matt tries to give Royce credit but it comes across a bit half hearted and then he puts over Team Miletich. Crowd finally cheers Matt as he exits.

Rogan talks to Royce. Royce is disappointed and puts over Matt. Royce says he has a couple more fights in him as the crowd cheers. Huge ovation as Royce leaves. One thing is apparent, the fans love the legends like Couture and Royce.

Tito tells the crowd camera he is going to kick Shamrock's ass.

1 hour left to ppv time. Lets see what else they show.....

Quinn
05-28-2006, 05:37 PM
PapiQueRico, thanks for the detailed review of the fight. I was hoping to view it last night, but spaced on the whole thing do to work. I definitely wanted to see that one.

-Quinn

plainBob
05-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Hughes wins by TKO. Does that spell the end to the Gracies in UFC?

plainBob
05-29-2006, 05:20 AM
Heres the artical from Newsday. com.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-ufc-fight,0,4487235.story?coll=ny-sports-mezz

Kirky25
05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Hughes destroyed gracie :D

PapiQueRico
05-31-2006, 02:30 AM

Glad to see Newsday report this. It's a shame that MMA does not get more main stream press. Pro wrestling gets more press, which is a joke.

As far as Gracie, you have to really wonder what the minds at the UFC were thinking. Are things that bad that they had to resurrect a legend. This was like Shaq going up against Moses Malone in 2006. Regardless of how good Gracie was ... even at his peak its questionable if he could have beaten Matt, especially when Matt has been fighting and Gracie has not had real fights.
in years
The next big fight is Tito vs Shamrock, but even that is weak because ken Shamrock is pretty much washed up. When was the last time he won a quality fight? For that matter, when was the last time he won a real fight?

Pride seems to be doing ok, but the UFC should focus on the young talent. This is why the reality TV show on Spike is a good idea.

partlycloudy
05-31-2006, 04:37 AM
pride > ufc

Reddman
05-31-2006, 07:06 AM
pride > ufc

I Concur.

Fueler
06-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Just incase anyone missed this fight here it is.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=783991679&n=2

Reddman
06-01-2006, 09:38 AM

As far as Gracie, you have to really wonder what the minds at the UFC were thinking. .

Great marketing idea and of course for the dough. I'm sure the buy ins for the PPV looked pretty good ditto the live gate. I would imagine that California's athletic board much like NJ and NV publishes each fighter's purse from approved MMA events.