PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky theater owner won't show "The Butler", Jane Fonda is in it.

Vladimir Putin
08-23-2013, 09:17 AM
The (Elizabethtown, Hardin County, Kentucky) News-Enterprise, Thursday, August 22, 2013

THEATER OWNER WON'T SHOW LEE DANIELS' MOVIE "THE BUTLER"
Boutwell has policy against showing movies with Jane Fonda.

By AMBER COULTER, The News-Enterprise

Last weekend’s top movie for ticket sales isn’t coming to Hardin County.

Lee Daniels’ "The Butler” brought in an estimated $25 million on its opening weekend with its portrayal of Cecil Gaines, who served eight U.S. presidents as a butler in the White House.

Movie Palace and Showtime Cinemas owner Ike Boutwell said selling more tickets to the popular movie, which features Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan, isn’t a good enough reason to play the movie in his theater.

To his knowledge, since he opened the theater in the late 1980s, Boutwell never has shown a movie involving Fonda.

The U.S. Marines Corps veteran of the Korean War trained pilots during the Vietnam War, because he was too old to see action there himself.

Fonda’s famous anti-Vietnam War statements and demonstrations caused Boutwell to view her as a traitor to America. He said no movie involving her will show in his theater as long as he’s in charge.

“I trained hundreds of pilots to fly, many of whom Ms. Fonda clapped and cheered as they were shot down,” he said. “Our Constitution only mentions three crimes. Treason is one. That’s aid and comfort to the enemy.”

Fonda was part of the 1970 anti-war road show “Free The Army,” and called American political and military leaders war criminals.

She was photographed sitting on an anti-aircraft battery in North Vietnam. She has since said she was manipulated into sitting there. She said the soldiers asked her to sing a song, and she began laughing and clapping with them during the tune as they led her to sit upon the anti-aircraft battery, not noticing what it was.

Veterans across the nation reportedly are boycotting the film because of Fonda’s role as Reagan, and Boutwell thinks other theater operators likely are not showing the film for the same reason.

“To add to this, I just really think it’s a slap in the face to have a person of treason portray a patriotic lady, Mrs. Reagan,” he said. “I just think that is throwing gas on the fire.”

Terrie Smith of Radcliff said she and a few other women tried to see the film Friday at Movie Palace in Elizabethtown.

They hadn’t looked up the list of movies playing at the theater, assuming the big-name movie would be playing on the night of its release.

They were told it wasn’t showing there, she said.

Smith hasn’t made a trip to Louisville to see the movie and does not think she’ll return to the Movie Palace in Elizabethtown to see other releases.

She said it doesn’t seem like a good business decision not to show a movie because of the owner’s feelings about an actress.

Boutwell said the possibility of losing money won’t make him change his mind.

“In life, you’ve got to stand for something, and that’s where I stand,” he said. “It makes me feel that I’m honoring those who died for this country.”

Boutwell said he has not heard any complaints about the policy.

Copyright © 2013 The News-Enterprise. All rights reserved.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/transfan1/Ike_Boutwell_zps5d5a0ef8.jpg
(The News-Enterprise/Neal Cardin) Ike Boutwell, a Korean War veteran, owns the Movie Palace in Elizabethtown and trained pilots during the Vietnam War. His grandfather served in the 4th Alabama during the Civil War, depicted in a painting on Boutwell's office wall. He says Jane Fonda committed treason against the United States during Vietnam and refuses to show movies she appears in.

Johnny.Blaze
08-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Grumpy Old Bastards - LOL

Ben in LA
08-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Oh, please...

up_for_it
08-23-2013, 03:36 PM
I see someone's living in the past....

GroobySteven
08-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Good for him, standing up for what HE believes in. I give him respect for that.

SugaSweet
08-23-2013, 06:13 PM
He owns the theater.He can choose what he does or does not show.

alpha2117
08-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I thought the boycott was because it's a terrible terrible film.

As for Fonda - who the hell cares. George W Bushs grandfather was almost certainly part of a plan to overthrow FDR and put a fascist regime in the Presidency and his son and grandson became president. Doesn't mean the later Bush's were Facists (well it probably doesn't)

In 1933, Marine Corps Maj.-Gen. Smedley Butler was approached by a wealthy and secretive group of industrialists and bankers, including Prescott Bush the current President's grandfather, who asked him to command a 500,000 strong rogue army of veterans that would help stage a coup to topple then President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

According to the BBC, the plotters intended to impose a fascist takeover and "Adopt the policies of Hitler and Mussolini to beat the great depression."

The conspirators were operating under the umbrella of a front group called the American Liberty League, which included many families that are still household names today, including Heinz, Colgate, Birds Eye and General Motors.

Butler played along with the clique to determine who was involved but later blew the whistle and identified the ringleaders in testimony given to the House Committee on un-American Activities.

However, the Committee refused to even question any of the individuals named by Butler and his testimony was omitted from the record, leading to charges that they were involved in covering the matter up, and the majority of the media blackballed the story.

General Smedley Butler, author of the famous quote "war is a racket", exposed the fascist plotters but was subsequently demonized and shunned by the government and the media.

In 1936, William Dodd, the U.S. Ambassador to Germany, wrote a letter to President Roosevelt in which he stated,

"A clique of U.S. industrialists is hell-bent to bring a fascist state to supplant our democratic government and is working closely with the fascist regime in Germany and Italy. I have had plenty of opportunity in my post in Berlin to witness how close some of our American ruling families are to the Nazi regime.... A prominent executive of one of the largest corporations, told me point blank that he would be ready to take definite action to bring fascism into America if President Roosevelt continued his progressive policies. Certain American industrialists had a great deal to do with bringing fascist regimes into being in both Germany and Italy. They extended aid to help Fascism occupy the seat of power, and they are helping to keep it there. Propagandists for fascist groups try to dismiss the fascist scare. We should be aware of the symptoms. When industrialists ignore laws designed for social and economic progress they will seek recourse to a fascist state when the institutions of our government compel them to comply with the provisions."

The proven record of Prescott Bush's involvement in financing the Nazi war machine dovetails with the fact that he was part of a criminal cabal that actively sought to impose a fascist coup in America.

People in the US are always pretty selective in their view of the world and history in particular.

Obscure fact - John Wilkes Booths brother Edwin saved Abraham Lincoln's sons life a few short months before his brother killed the President. How someone missed that and didn't cast deNiro in a biopic is amazing to me.

Edwin Booth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Booth)

Fonda made a few misjudgements during the Vietnam era but given Nixon was making a fair few himself at the time that's not that surprising. I think the guy is within his rights to not show her films though.

Ben in LA
08-23-2013, 10:24 PM
It's not like the producers and the actors of the movie are sweating it, so who cares?

Oh no some dude won't show our movie because of Jane Fonda!

These same cats were probably jerking it to her workout videos...or Barbarella.

As for it being a bad movie, the producers probably don't care about that assessment either; it DID make $35 million dollars for them.

Haters...SMDH...

Yeah
08-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Good for him. Respect him for standing up, most people now a days just sit back and don't say anything because they are afraid of the PC Police. Screw those PC fuckers!

saifan
08-23-2013, 11:02 PM
It's his business and good on him for getting behind something that he believes in, but if theater owners did their due diligence regarding people in the movies that they are exhibiting they probably wouldn't show any movies.

surf4490
08-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Hopefully he will refuse to show Aflucks Batman

Ben in LA
08-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Hopefully he will refuse to show Aflucks Batman
Put Jane Fonda in it and he won't...