PDA

View Full Version : In Jamaica, transgender teen murdered by mob

Toadily
08-11-2013, 05:26 PM
In Jamaica, transgender teen murdered by mob
David McFadden, Associated Press 8:43 a.m. EDT August 11, 2013

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica (AP) — Dwayne Jones was relentlessly teased in high school for being effeminate until he dropped out. His father not only kicked him out of the house at the age of 14 but also helped jeering neighbors push the youngster from the rough Jamaican slum where he grew up.

By age 16, the teenager was dead — LINK (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/11/jamaica-transgender-teen-murdered-by-mob/2639995/) :ignore::hide-1:

Bridgettaxo
08-11-2013, 05:29 PM
WAKE UP JAMAICA > WAKE UP RUSSIA! equal rights and Justice means everyone.!

Merkurie
08-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Sad to say, but there are many people who enjoy shunning, bullying and picking on people. it makes them feel more secure in their place in the world. transpeople and people who dont fit in to gender norms are easily singled out by these types.

People who commit these kinds of acts feel no shame, they feel proud of the atrocities they commit. It is disgusting.

maddygirl
08-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Really sad to hear. People are so fucked up.

Stavros
08-11-2013, 07:20 PM
I once asked a Caribbean person about attitudes and was told that Barbados, and to a lesser extent Trinidad were as liberal as it gets in the region, otherwise it is somewhere between difficult and impossible for gay and transgendered people to live openly; a sad reflection of the reality in many parts of the world. For all the apparent advances that have been made, we are still a long way away from acceptance in more than half the world.

sosed
08-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Rest in peace.

broncofan
08-11-2013, 08:04 PM
"Judging by comments made on social media, most Jamaicans think Dwayne Jones brought his death on himself for wearing a dress and dancing in a society that has made it abundantly clear that homosexuals are neither to be seen nor heard," said Annie Paul, a blogger and publications officer at Jamaica's campus of the University of the West Indies."

This is a pervasive attitude among homophobes and bigots. In fact, in the U.S, several right-wingers have suggested that if homosexuals just hide their orientation they wouldn't have to worry about their rights. Obviously the homophobia and trans-phobia we have in the United States is not in the same stratosphere as it is in Jamaica. I just can't believe people say these sorts of things even after a brutal murder.

SugaSweet
08-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Sad,but not shocked given the country.

BiBoyinBeantown
08-11-2013, 09:22 PM
TIME Magazine once called Jamaica "the most homophobic place on earth."

The leader of JFLAG, the Jamaican gay-rights organization, was assassinated a few years ago.

Toadily
08-12-2013, 03:15 AM
In South Florida we have a big Jamaican population, not all Jamaicans but majority of the ones I know have a 1950 attitude towards gays and even worse to transsexuals. Which is too bad, 2 of my favorite TGirls that I see are Jamaican. They more or less just accept that is the way Jamaicans are.
Too bad, other then being from a racist culture they are good people, lol.

Amy Gray
08-12-2013, 03:45 AM
What REALLY horrifies me about this whole situation is actually the reaction from people in the US. I've been reading the comment sections and a lot of people are posting about how they think this girl deserved to be lynched or had it coming. That chill's my veins when I see stuff like that.

fred41
08-12-2013, 04:08 AM
That's really awful. Getting tormented and killed just for wanting to be able to be oneself.

God people really suck sometimes.Big time.

Nikka
08-12-2013, 04:13 AM
weed addicts what can u expect

Ben
08-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Homophobia a way of life in Jamaica

Jamaica draws tourists from all over the world but beyond the postcard images is a society hostile to gay men and women.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/08/11/homophobia_a_way_of_life_in_jamaica.html