This movie has taken over my life

I've watch it over 500 times now and counting

is there something wrong with me?

runround04
05-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Good films!!

dc_guy_75
05-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Yeah, thats a little bit strange, unless you work in the industry.

Perhaps you should go to film school?

JenniferParisHusband
05-10-2013, 08:40 AM
If you're really into movies, like deeply into them, you normally have at least 3 that you watch over and over again and keep getting something out of them with each new viewing. (Once upon I time I tried film school, and the professor told me this.) With me, it's "The Illusionist," "The Count of Monte Cristo," and "The Bride With White Hair."

The first Matrix movie rocked. Full of depth and detail. I get it. Of course if you said you watched Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions over and over again, then I'd worry.

SheWantsTheD
05-10-2013, 09:51 AM
The biggest question is; how do they REALLY know what tasty wheat is supposed to taste like?

Winkle
05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
There is something wrong with you for asking if there's something wrong with you.

Boss, the films are Boss.

danthepoetman
05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Personally, I liked the idea, but hated the treatment. Those karate scenes are utterly ridiculous, and the gun fights, although entertaining, are totally absurd, even by fully considering the scenario or the logic of it all. It seems to me they could have done so much more with such a subject.
I guess I shouldn't be so negative, as much worst movies have been made in the past -by a whole lot-, but every time I watch it I have a feeling of being read a ridiculous story by a terrible reader... It seems very artificial to me.
As to your question, Bat1, watching a movie 500 times, if it really is the case, is a lot by any normal standard. I agree with JPH that we all have some movies we love to watch over and over again, but this is a 2hrs + movie; you have watched it 25 weeks of full time job, so far... If it's true, I suggest you try to put it aside a little before od starts to knock at the door; if it's a matter of speech, as I suspect it is, well, hey! life is too short to question yourself too much on such pleasures.

Daniel LaRusso
05-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I went to a Halloween party one year dressed as Neil from the Matrix.

Winkle
05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Personally, I liked the idea, but hated the treatment. Those karate scenes are utterly ridiculous, and the gun fights, although entertaining, are totally absurd, even by fully considering the scenario or the logic of it all. It seems to me they could have done so much more with such a subject.
I guess I shouldn't be so negative, as much worst movies have been made in the past -by a whole lot-, but every time I watch it I have a feeling of being read a ridiculous story by a terrible reader... It seems very artificial to me.
As to your question, Bat1, watching a movie 500 times, if it really is the case, is a lot by any normal standard. I agree with JPH that we all have some movies we love to watch over and over again, but this is a 2hrs + movie; you have watched it 25 weeks of full time job, so far... If it's true, I suggest you try to put it aside a little before od starts to knock at the door; if it's a matter of speech, as I suspect it is, well, hey! life is too short to question yourself too much on such pleasures.

I couldn't disagree more. I thought the story line was awesome because it in many ways reflects real life. We as a society have become part of a well oiled machine (with most people being unawakened drones, sorry people) that IMO doesn't have the best intentions for society as a whole. The films allow those with a reasonable amount of imagination to wonder, if only for a second, could such a story be true......

Yes the action scenes were far fetched but the logic behind the films justified that and again allows the imagination to run wild, something that many other sci/fi and action films fail to do. I'm not usually a fan of CGI but in this film I thought it was done in good taste. The still, slow mo 3D shots and the bullets rippling through the air were and still are awesome, this was ground breaking stuff.

Different strokes for different folks but to me the films are Boss.

Stavros
05-10-2013, 11:54 AM
The first was entertaining and had production concepts that have since been copied, but the story is far from original -it could be:

1) that 'we' live in a world without realising that we are 'merely' part of a controlling system that has manipulated so much of reality that we cannot tell one from the other, that benefits a tiny elite who have in effect manufactured an alternative reality that keeps us in check: prisoners of Plato's cave;
2) that there are two ways of living: i) conforming to the general pattern of behaviour where vision shapes desire, or ii) striking an individual path where desire shapes vision;
3) the world is lost, heading for oblivion, only one person with unique, special powers -The One- can save us: Neo, Messiah, the last Prophet, etc.

The fundamental contradiction in the film is between imprisonment and freedom: in both worlds there is an hierarchical order: one is supposed to believe that swallowing the right pill will return you to your pure condition as a free individual, yet the underground/alternative world is no less controlled by elites/guardians and dependent on a 'special person' even if it is more transparent. One world is controlled by faceless elites wearing suits and ties, the other by 'real' people in worn-out clothes. Both will kill anyone who threatens their way of life.

LibertyHarkness
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
my favourite movie i have watched over 400 times is Aliens :) i can have aliens on loop all day long while webcamming/editing etc ..

SheWantsTheD
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Tastee Wheat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trBLNCiSZE)

Matrix is a system - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXQozTxQSiE)

That woman is so stealth :jerkoff

I don't know why I love the tasty wheat and woman in the red dress parts so much! Mouse is just a legend, he deserves his own spin off!

http://matrix.wikia.com/wiki/Mouse

I can't find the scene on youtube where he says he designed her and can get Neo sex with her lol

Quiet Reflections
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I liked the first one but hated the other two

danthepoetman
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I love your new avatar, Liberty!

ibanezuk
05-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Loved the first film, but as everyone else says the other two were pants.

Liberty,
what are your thoughts on Prometheus? looking forward to the next two instalments?/

my my my!
05-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I love the first Matrix Movie and have seen it many times.

But , Reloaded and Revolutions are essential to the story. And I love the trilogy as a whole.

I think people unfairly dismiss Reloaded and Revolutions, I believe those 2 movies are actually better than the first one. They flesh out the characters more and the story gets really interesting

The first Matrix Movie, if looked at objectively (and assuming Reloaded and Revolutions never existed), is at best a new technology showcase and good sci fi flick. Seen as a standalone movie, it's very hollow and I'm glad they made the other ones.

If only first movie existed, these questions would've lingered (mind you I know the answers):
Why is Neo the one? Just because Morpheus had a hunch?

Who made the "prophecy"?

What/Who is the Oracle?

Was Neo going to grow in power? What was his actual purpose after defeating smith? Was it to free everyone from the matrix one by one?

I'm glad it's a trilogy, and not a standalone. Although I loved it upon release, I'm one of the few that felt it just kind of went nowhere and the 2nd and 3rd movies fleshed it out.

don't be hatin! :pissed:

Stavros
05-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I love the first Matrix Movie and have seen it many times.

But , Reloaded and Revolutions are essential to the story. And I love the trilogy as a whole.

I think people unfairly dismiss Reloaded and Revolutions, I believe those 2 movies are actually better than the first one. They flesh out the characters more and the story gets really interesting

The first Matrix Movie, if looked at objectively (and assuming Reloaded and Revolutions never existed), is at best a new technology showcase and good sci fi flick. Seen as a standalone movie, it's very hollow and I'm glad they made the other ones.

If only first movie existed, these questions would've lingered (mind you I know the answers):
Why is Neo the one? Just because Morpheus had a hunch?

Who made the "prophecy"?

What/Who is the Oracle?

Was Neo going to grow in power? What was his actual purpose after defeating smith? Was it to free everyone from the matrix one by one?

I'm glad it's a trilogy, and not a standalone. Although I loved it upon release, I'm one of the few that felt it just kind of went nowhere and the 2nd and 3rd movies fleshed it out.

don't be hatin! :pissed:
As I understand it, Neo is identified from the start as a computer hacker who has infiltrated the dominant mode of global connectivity -global computing- as a rebel, identified by other rebels -much as hackers get to know each other, even if only by nicknames -he must have shown some special skills to alert the others to his 'special powers'.

The 'Prophecy' and the 'Oracle' exist as forms of pure knowledge, one inherited, the other also pre-ordained but available only to the enlightened or those seeking enlightenment: truth is not relative, it is absolute, but if you have been brought up in a false system designed to control you, you would accept as truth that which is a lie: hence the concept of the truth being a secret that can only be revealed by: seers, the anointed, priests, politicians (usually charismatic), LSD, Jesus, Science, and so forth.

The defeat of Smith ought to be the defeat of tyranny, of dictatorship, of a corrupt computer virus; thus the restoration of individual liberty, of freedom, freedom to be who you want to be, not what others expect. Smith can only replicate himself a million times because he is a victim of his own need to control, and design control systems -in freedom lies diversity, in diversity, freedom.

ibanezuk
05-10-2013, 04:22 PM
They do complete the story but for me were a let down in their execution.

The other part of the matrix story that i liked was the Animatrix. Especially The Second Renaissance, which is the preluding story in a bit more detail.

bat1
05-10-2013, 05:07 PM
As I understand it, Neo is identified from the start as a computer hacker who has infiltrated the dominant mode of global connectivity -global computing- as a rebel, identified by other rebels -much as hackers get to know each other, even if only by nicknames -he must have shown some special skills to alert the others to his 'special powers'.

The 'Prophecy' and the 'Oracle' exist as forms of pure knowledge, one inherited, the other also pre-ordained but available only to the enlightened or those seeking enlightenment: truth is not relative, it is absolute, but if you have been brought up in a false system designed to control you, you would accept as truth that which is a lie: hence the concept of the truth being a secret that can only be revealed by: seers, the anointed, priests, politicians (usually charismatic), LSD, Jesus, Science, and so forth.

The defeat of Smith ought to be the defeat of tyranny, of dictatorship, of a corrupt computer virus; thus the restoration of individual liberty, of freedom, freedom to be who you want to be, not what others expect. Smith can only replicate himself a million times because he is a victim of his own need to control, and design control systems -in freedom lies diversity, in diversity, freedom.

you nailed it very well :)

SheWantsTheD
05-11-2013, 12:52 AM
They do complete the story but for me were a let down in their execution.

The other part of the matrix story that i liked was the Animatrix. Especially The Second Renaissance, which is the preluding story in a bit more detail.

I watched all three a few days ago with some friends and one of them was telling me about this animatrix. I got hold of it but not watched it yet. Hope to watch them by sunday :)