View Full Version : New Digital Camera promises to make users appear thinner.

NYCe
05-09-2006, 04:42 AM
Next up, the Eros/Craigslist Cam that magically adds Inches to Cocksize.

New Cameras Promise To Make You Look Better

If you normally hate the way you look in pictures, you're not alone. What if you could look picture perfect every time?

It's no surprise Cover Girls are the picture of perfection with professionals snapping their photos. But what about the rest of us?

Now, many new cameras promise to help you put your best face and body forward.

Mike McNamara is with Popular Photography magazine. "A wide variety of camera manufacturers are starting to offer cameras with some kind of beauty or portrait enhancement mode."

Modes with names like "soft skin" meant to take the focus off fine lines and blemishes.

Several of Hewlett Packard's digital camera models even have a "slimming" feature.

"It will shrink the center of the image. It gives you the control to actually make someone look a little bit thinner," says McNamara.

But do the touch ups really transform? McNamara snapped pictures using the cameras' automatic settings. He then repeated the shots with the specialty modes. Is it easy to tell which side was put on a diet with HP's slimming effect?

We took the snapshots to the streets. "Heavier left, skinnier right, maybe like two sizes smaller," notices one person.

Even our expert sees a "sizable” difference. But when it comes to soft focus features, offered on many Panasonic and Canon cameras, McNamara says the changes are more subtle.

"You really have to get up close to see that blurring and smoothing out of the skin tones."

The mode got mixed reviews from our amateur judges, but overall the feedback on the high tech picture takers was positive.

"It's cool, something I'd probably buy," one person said.

"Anytime I take ten pounds off of me, I'd like that picture!" said another.

While these features are fun, body image experts say they may also send the wrong message--that it's not ok to be who you are, imperfections and all.