PDA

View Full Version : Pastor Rick Warren's son, Matthew, commits suicide, church says

Dino Velvet
04-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Poor kid. Have mercy for the truly innocent. RIP

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/06/17632420-pastor-rick-warrens-son-matthew-commits-suicide-church-says?lite

Pastor Rick Warren's son, Matthew, commits suicide, church says

By Matthew DeLuca, Staff Writer, NBC News
The youngest son of Rick Warren, author of "The Purpose Driven Life," has committed suicide, the evangelical pastor said in a letter to members of his church on Saturday.

Matthew Warren, the youngest son of Warren and his wife Kay, died after a long struggle with mental illness, according to the statement from Saddleback Valley Community Church in Lake Forest, Calif. The church asked for “everyone to join us in praying for the entire Warren family” on Saturday.

“At 27 years of age, Matthew was an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many,” Saddleback Church said in the statement. “Unfortunately, he also suffered from mental illness resulting in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.”

Matthew Warren was found dead of what appeared to be suicide by gunshot in his home in Mission Viejo, Calif., said Supervising Deputy Dan Aikin of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner’s Department. The estimated time of death was 10 a.m. on Friday morning.

The sheriff’s department was called to the home at about 5:15 p.m., Aikin told NBC News. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday.

Warren wrote about his son’s death in an emotional letter to his church, calling his son “an incredibly kind, gentle, and compassionate man.”
“No words can express the anguished grief we feel right now,” Warren wrote in the letter. “He had a brilliant intellect and a gift for sensing who was most in pain or most uncomfortable in a room. He’d then make a bee-line to that person to engage and encourage them.”
“In spite of America’s best doctors, meds, counselors, and prayers for healing, the torture of mental illness never subsided,” Warren wrote to church members. “Today, after a fun evening together with Kay and me, in a momentary wave of despair at his home, he took his life.”

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/__NEW/nn_07holt_warren_son_130406.vembedlarge456.jpg
The youngest son of Rick Warren, author of "The Purpose Driven Life," has committed suicide, the evangelical pastor said in a letter to members of his church on Saturday. NBC's Lester Holt reports.

moonunit7
04-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Poor guy. He was forced to grow up in a deranged, confusing and unethical home of a master manipulator and charlatan. It should come as no surprise that he would off himself. I wonder if he was secretly gay as well.

SugaSweet
04-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Not to speculate,but could the religious fanaticism played more than a minor role?

Rabbiteyes
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I bet a billion dollars he was just gay and his family is dismissing it as "a mental illness". Like.... I'm 99 percent sure ~_~ A guy that looks like that? Super gentle and nice? Mid 20's? Yup, sooooo sure just gay and driven to suicide by his father.

Jericho
04-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Shit happens, move on! :shrug

giovanni_hotel
04-08-2013, 02:41 AM
I imagine under any circumstances it was hard to be Rick Warren's son. But I don't discount he was battling severe mental illness.

If he was gay and that led to his suicide, it won't be long before one of his BFs speaks out.
I have a family member who's bipolar with schizo-affective disorder, and sometimes he just goes on and on about ways to kill himself. When he starts asking where's the rubbing alcohol because he's 'thirsty', family members pile him into the SUV and take him on long drives to get his mind out of that funk.

BiBoyinBeantown
04-08-2013, 06:59 AM
I bet a billion dollars he was just gay and his family is dismissing it as "a mental illness". Like.... I'm 99 percent sure ~_~ A guy that looks like that? Super gentle and nice? Mid 20's? Yup, sooooo sure just gay and driven to suicide by his father.

Some people who have trouble walking on the hind two still consider homosexuality a "mental illness" in this day and age. Hell, it was actually listed as such in the DSM until 1974, and removing it was controversial at the time.

Rabbiteyes
04-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Some people who have trouble walking on the hind two still consider homosexuality a "mental illness" in this day and age. Hell, it was actually listed as such in the DSM until 1974, and removing it was controversial at the time.

They still consider transgenderism a mental illness too ~_~ Hooray society.....

runround04
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
But....But. why didnt Jesus prevent this? I mean, a man the serves god so well shouldnt have his son taken from him, right? Wait, I bet this happened for a reason so others will be aware of this plight and be saved? Yeah, thats the way it'll be twisted.

Saint_Frankenstein
04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
They still consider transgenderism a mental illness too ~_~ Hooray society.....

Actually, it's not considered a mental illness. It's basically only there to provide a diagnostic tool for psychiatrists. It's not treated as a mental illness since the problem isn't handled as being a psychological issue. It's just a way for the mental health profession to act as gatekeepers for medical transition.