PDA

View Full Version : Is It True You Can't Get Good Chinese Food In LA?

Dino Velvet
03-05-2013, 04:21 AM
I like it but what do I know? Like to get some good Korean without having to go to Wilshire & Vermont too.

robertlouis
03-05-2013, 05:18 AM
I like it but what do I know? Like to get some good Korean without having to go to Wilshire & Vermont too.

Go to China and be amazed in both good and bad ways. Hong Kong is the safest place to start and then it just gets more interesting and dangerous, especially off the tourist track.

rwerfet
03-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Check out SGV, plenty of good places off of the 60

MdR Dave
03-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Dino- don't eat that stuff. The fat, the sugar, the disrespect to Chinese moms and grandmas- it'll kill you.

Stick to Korean and load up on the kimchi.

On Lincoln, just south of Wash. (mini-plaza by a Walgreen) is a decent place- good beef, too.

flabbybody
03-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Authentic Chinese food was actually invented in Brooklyn, New York in the early 1920's and was refined by German Jewish immigrants who settled here before WW ll. They fine-tuned recipes for shrimp with lobster sauce and chicken chow mein and opened take out restaurants all over the northeast. After the war, real Chinese people immigrated to the US and discovered their long lost cuisine.

Dino Velvet
03-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Dino- don't eat that stuff. The fat, the sugar, the disrespect to Chinese moms and grandmas- it'll kill you.

Stick to Korean and load up on the kimchi.

On Lincoln, just south of Wash. (mini-plaza by a Walgreen) is a decent place- good beef, too.

That sounds like a good tip. Thanks. I'm not much for Kimchi but I like bulgogi and some of their veggies.

I eat at Cheng Du on Pico by Gateway in West LA. Pretty decent with good Kung Pao and Hot & Sour Soup. Big fish tank by front register.

robertlouis
03-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Authentic Chinese food was actually invented in Brooklyn, New York in the early 1920's and was refined by German Jewish immigrants who settled here before WW ll. They fine-tuned recipes for shrimp with lobster sauce and chicken chow mein and opened take out restaurants all over the northeast. After the war, real Chinese people immigrated to the US and discovered their long lost cuisine.

Nice, flabby! I take it you mean "authentic" in the sense that its what Americans think is real Chinese food. Having travelled widely inside China and away from the tourist spots, I can assure you all that a native Chinese person, unless they were able to move freely from place to place, would find other Chinese cuisines alien to what they were used to. Cantonese for example, which is what we tend to get here in the UK, is about as far from the fire and dry spices of Szechuan as its possible to get. And lord only knows what a Chinese native in New York would think of chop suey!

It's the same with Italian. Go to Italy and you'll discover that 50% of the dishes you get in Italian restaurants in the US simply don't exist over there.

Dino Velvet
03-05-2013, 06:57 AM

One of my tenants is a little Jewish guy from Brooklyn. Is it OK for me to assume he knows about Chinese Food or should I treat it cautiously like the dreadful and unspeakable Fried Chicken & Watermelon?

robertlouis
03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
One of my tenants is a little Jewish guy from Brooklyn. Is it OK for me to assume he knows about Chinese Food or should I treat it cautiously like the dreadful and unspeakable Fried Chicken & Watermelon?

Ask him about chicken chow rubinstein.

Or five-spice ribs, but to you, seven. :dancing:

Dino Velvet
03-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Ask him about chicken chow rubinstein.

Or five-spice ribs, but to you, seven. :dancing:

You reminded me my aunt knows a lot about Chinese Food because I remember having the best Chinese Ribs ever down in Palos Verdes. I'm stoned like heck and could eat a platter right now.

robertlouis
03-05-2013, 07:18 AM
You reminded me my aunt knows a lot about Chinese Food because I remember having the best Chinese Ribs ever down in Palos Verdes. I'm stoned like heck and could eat a platter right now.

Or if you're the guest of honour up-country, they skin a snake alive in front of you and offer you the liver while it's still pulsing as a delicacy. Like I say, real chinese food is very different.

tragicomedy
03-05-2013, 08:42 AM
There's got to be at least a few GREAT Chinese restaurants in LA with it's large Asian population and status as a global destination city.

With that said, I've been to 3 restaurants in LA and all three were a disappointment. I've had good Filipino, Thai (great) and Viet Namese food while visiting that city.

Rusty Eldora
03-05-2013, 08:42 AM
I was in LA last month for Chinese NY with my hot Chinese friend (turned 50 but looks 35, 120 LB yoga girl from China via Saipan, Guam, and Hawaii). We at the eve of Chinese New Year at the San Gabriel Square in San Gabriel (Valley & Del Mar), had excellent food. Course she was ordering in Chinese not from the menu so we had some really cool dishes. She knows me and what I can handle or not. Anyway, very good and a lot of authentic Chinese, but also Korean, etc. The best way to find the good Chinese, ask the manager at the Chinese Grocery store, how we found this - has worked many times for me.

Also, did well later the trip at a place in the "Chinatown" area of downtown, we watched where the Chinese were going.

In Saipan, I saw her and her sister eating squirmy things that I didn't want to know what they were - they just said "Very Good, I should try", I replied no but meant Hell No.

robertlouis
03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
I know it doesn't help, but the best non-Asian city in the world for all kinds of authentic Asian cuisine - Chinese, Thai, Malaysian, Vietnamese etc - is Sydney.

Dino Velvet
03-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Not Chinese but my Persian neighbors play tug-of-war with me having me go to all their personal favorite restaurants. I like the food and all the places but I keep it secret that I prefer the Lebanese spot to be the best Middle Eastern place in the area. Tons of food.

Anybody in Westwood this place is good. Get the Combo Grill if you're hungry.
http://www.sunnin.com/
http://www.sunnin.com/images/sunnin-dishes.jpg