PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article regarding success on Lifehacker

Wendy Summers
02-22-2013, 08:21 PM
When I was a young designer, I always asked other people how they got noticed for their work. The answer I most consistently received was "do good work." Now, when people ask me the same question, I respond with the same answer. Good work always speaks for itself. It's a self-promoting robot.
If you work in an agency or web department within an organization, let's shift that perspective from promoting your work to being considered for a promotion. Doing good work is a smaller part of the equation. My experience has demonstrated that most of the great opportunities go to people with magical attitudes. Maintaining a great attitude is far from automatic. It takes real skill to keep it positive.

http://lifehacker.com/5986162/why-quality-work-isnt-enough-to-get-ahead

What do you think -- is the article on target with its premise or not?

NightmareX0666
02-22-2013, 09:17 PM

What do you think -- is the article on target with its premise or not?

It does make sense and it can be seen in certain shows how that premise can work. If you ever watched Top Chef or Face Off - on an individual realm these people maybe fantastic at what they do, but in a group setting they can be seen as bossy, conflicted, not willing to try or learn something new, or just being a dick. Why would I hire someone who cannot work with others especially if it is crunch time and new ideas are needed.

I am getting my teaching credentials in order, and it is drilled into us with a good attitude it can make a world of difference on a student's ability to learn, how other teachers will view us, and easing a parent during a conference.

Hope this made sense somewhere...

BigDF
02-22-2013, 09:19 PM

What do you think -- is the article on target with its premise or not?I think it's close. Most work groups are 10-80-10, that is 10% are stars, 80% fall somewhere in the middle and 10% are low performers. The people in the star group are the ones most likely to be promoted in a given situation making room the best of the middles to move up. The stars do good work, have a positive attitude and provide leadership to their peers who are the best of the middles. But even if you're a star, it's no guarantee that you'll be promoted. Your relationship with your supervisor has to be taken into consideration as well. If that person was or is a star also, then you'll get a helping hand up to the next level.

On the other hand, if the supervisor was a low middle or down at the bottom and simply promoted to remove an obstacle to production, rather than deal with poor performance issues, the person will be jealous of anyone perceived to be of more value to the company.

I watched this sort of BS take place over the years and I'm glad I'm out of it now. :geek:

Is it ok if we go back to talking about sexy t-girls now, tribble?:salad:D

bluesoul
02-22-2013, 09:26 PM
or Face Off

mckenzie westmore. mckenzie..... westmore :Bowdown:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/mckenzie-westmore-face-off-gallery-syfy-325.jpg

Chaos
02-23-2013, 02:10 AM
I don't know what to say to this....except that the FIELD seems to matter too.

I am a 3D artist,I know LOTS of other 3D artists,and it's funny...MOST of us NEVER get jobs doing this.

There are a lot of people that like my work.
I have had people ask me to do commission work,I've had job offers.
Problem is,as soon as I step up and say let's do this,it all fades away like it was never there.

I try promoting my work anywhere that lets me....but it isn't working.
At first,everyone is like OOOO! THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!!,then shortly thereafter....all interest drops off.

BigDF
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't know what to say to this....except that the FIELD seems to matter too.

I am a 3D artist,I know LOTS of other 3D artists,and it's funny...MOST of us NEVER get jobs doing this.

There are a lot of people that like my work.
I have had people ask me to do commission work,I've had job offers.
Problem is,as soon as I step up and say let's do this,it all fades away like it was never there.

I try promoting my work anywhere that lets me....but it isn't working.
At first,everyone is like OOOO! THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!!,then shortly thereafter....all interest drops off.

It is extremely difficult to make a living as a creative artist, I'm afraid. I've written fiction for years, but if I tried to eat off it, I'd be skeletal. I think it sucks that someone would lead you on like that; I've commissioned work myself and always have been pleased with the results, but the artists in question had jobs to supplement their income.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to try to find some sort of work that either resembles what you're trying to create or is something else you love and keep creating what you can. :geek: