PDA

View Full Version : HBO's 'Big Love'

chefmike
04-24-2006, 04:40 AM
OK, I admit it! I'm getting hooked on HBO's 'Big Love'....any of you other HBO watchers out there starting to get into this series?

ManOfSteel
04-24-2006, 05:41 AM
ya thats a great show, i just watched it. Bill is in all kinds of trouble now. Can't wait to see what happens and how he's gonna deal with Roman.

GroobySteven
04-24-2006, 05:53 AM
Couldn't get past the first show - I hated all the characters and couldn't see myself being sympathetic or identifying with any of them.
seanchai

chefmike
04-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Couldn't get past the first show - I hated all the characters and couldn't see myself being sympathetic or identifying with any of them.
seanchai

I had the same reaction regarding the first show, but after watching the series further, I became a fan of the show. I think it has an outstanding cast, also.

skweetis
04-24-2006, 02:17 PM
it's a good show.

BeardedOne
04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I only manage to catch recent shows when I'm on the road and have access to a teevee (I watch pretty much everything else via DVD these days).

Just caught an episode of Big Love the other night and found it interesting enough to want to see it from the start (So, off to get more DVDs next season).

Having known some triad/plural 'marriages' (The legality of which was relative to the situation, as I don't beileve that any of them actually went so far as to marry on paper - Though the reems of legal paperwork, such as domestic partnership, were incredible), makes it that much more interesting to me.

chefmike
05-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Supposedly the character Roman(Harry Dean Stanton) is based on this guy-

Polygamous sect leader makes FBI's most wanted

Sunday, May 7, 2006; Posted: 7:09 a.m. EDT (11:09 GMT)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- Polygamist church leader Warren Jeffs has been placed on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list in hopes that the additional exposure and reward money will lead to his arrest.

Jeffs, 50, is accused of arranging marriages between underage girls and older men.

He is wanted in Arizona on criminal charges of sexual conduct with a minor. He also was charged in Utah with rape as an accomplice.

"We are doing everything we can to track him down," Fuhrman, special agent in charge of the FBI's Salt Lake City field office, said Saturday.

Jeffs is the leader of the polygamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, based in the neighboring communities of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Arizona.

The sect split from mainstream Mormonism after the broader church renounced polygamy in 1890. The mainstream Latter Day Saints church excommunicates members found to be practicing polygamy.

Jeffs has not been seen by anyone outside of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints community for nearly two years. He also faces a charge of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

By putting him on the Top 10 list, the FBI's reward increases from $50,000 to $100,000. The list is also distributed worldwide.

"We think that the inclusion of a $100,000 reward is going to mean that people are going to be much more aware of Warren Jeffs, they're going to be much more aware of what he looks like, and they're going to be much more willing to come forward to assist us in our efforts to locate him," U.S. Attorney Paul Charlton said at a news conference in Phoenix.

The FBI's announcement coincided with Jeffs' case appearing on the television program "America's Most Wanted."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

General124
05-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Great show. I hear tonight Bill is going to find out about Nikki's credit card debt.

Quinn
05-08-2006, 04:12 AM
seanchai

Same here. After twenty minutes, I was so bored that I couldn't stand it and haven't watched it since. Still, others who stuck it out have had good things to say about the show. Maybe I'll give it another chance at some point in the future.

Even if the show doesn't interest me, I have to give credit to HBO for taking chances with their programing. Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, and Entourage are all great shows.

-Quinn

chefmike
05-09-2006, 03:25 AM
I thought that last night's episode was damn good! Margine cracks me up...

Hugh Jarrod
05-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Can't say that've seen it what's it about?

chefmike
05-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Can't say that've seen it what's it about?

Those wild and crazy polygamist Mormons.

Hugh Jarrod
05-09-2006, 03:43 AM
Honestly I don't thin polygamy should be against the law. As long as all invlolved are aware. Meaning not when it's a guy who has a family in Michigan, one in California, and another in Florida all in the dark of one another.

kukm4
01-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Has this season been any good? Did not see much of
last season.

bigfreddy
01-28-2009, 03:46 AM
It's grown on me. Didn't like it at first, but I've become a regular watcher.

I have a new idea for a show. Big T Love, starring Jen Paris, Jesse Flores, Jennifer Justice and myself.

kukm4
01-28-2009, 03:55 AM
No Yasmin Lee?
Or is that for season 2? :P

Ts CinthyaNY
01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I like this show ... this season doesn't seem much exciting that the others.
See how it goes ... Hope they improve the characters.

chefmike
01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Has this season been any good? Did not see much of
last season.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes. I've talked to others who haven't. I think the writers do a great job showing the sympathetic side of polygamy as well as the shady, particularly on the last episode. The cast still has some of the best character actors alive, bar none. Bruce Dern, Harry Dean Stanton, Bill Paxton...

Beckdemure
01-29-2009, 01:13 AM
I've been in love with this show since the beginning. I grew up in rural area that was inhabited by a lot of religious fundamentalists--mainly of the evangelical Christian variety. There was an especially high population of Pentacostals, who chose to dress in the same manner as many of the women on the polygamy compound featured in Big Love. While the Pentes. don't practice polygamy, they do share many similarities with the religious group profiled in Big Love.

Then again, I'll watch anything that deals with religious extremism or cults. For some reason the subject matter fascinates me.

Niccolo
01-29-2009, 04:10 AM
I had read Jon Krakauer's book "Under the Banner of Heaven" and Stephen Singular's "When Men Became Gods" so I knew something about Mormonism before seeing the programme. It wasn't shown in the UK, so I bought the DVDs from America and watched the first series. I thought it was great, there are some terrific actors and it's worth staying with it beyond the first episode, that's for sure. The Mormons have made a few recruiting drives over in the UK, in fact there are still a few Mormon churches around here. And It's quite interesting to see what they really believe - Jon Krakauer's book is a real eye-opener.

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/krakauer/

chefmike
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Great episode last night!

Rhonda's back!

Was that really Frank's last meal?

Will Roman Grant be sentenced to prison like real-life polygamist leader Warren Jeffs?

And how about that creepy "Joy Book"? I thought the pictures included of each of the unfortunate girls hands and feet added an even creeepier note. Yes, those books really exist in polygamist compounds.