View Full Version : North Koreans Eating Their Own Kids: Reports

natina
01-29-2013, 08:53 AM
North Koreans Eating Their Own Kids: Reports

Cannibalism on the rise amid food shortage, informants say

(Newser) – Rumors of cannibalism are emerging from North Korea amid a food shortage that may have killed 10,000 people last year, Global Post reports. In one gruesome tale, authorities allegedly executed a father for killing and eating two of his kids: "While his wife was away on business he killed his eldest daughter and because his son saw what he had done, he killed his son as well," said an informant. "When the wife came home he offered her food, saying 'We have meat.'"

But she grew suspicious and alerted authorities, who discovered parts of the children's remains "under the eaves." Informants also tell of a man arrested for digging up and eating his dead grandchild, and "a man who went mad with hunger" and boiled his child for dinner, the Independent reports. Meanwhile Pyongyang is waving its sword around, threatening to fire a nuclear missile at the US and take "strong physical countermeasures" if South Korea "participates in the so-called UN 'sanctions.'"

http://www.newser.com/story/161746/north-koreans-eating-their-own-kids-reports.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_3_2

TSLoverIB
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Wow is all i can say

GroobySteven
01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Has this been reported on any proper news agencies?

BallBuster
01-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Sounds like we want to start another war. De-humanize the enemy, that's how to get the populus to support a war.

LibertyHarkness
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
what tripe lol

GroobySteven
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
what tripe lol

Booo! Hahah.

Willie Escalade
01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a Donner party...

bluesoul
01-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Has this been reported on any proper news agencies?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/north-koreans-eating-thei_n_2570208.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22472283/new-rumors-surface-famine-induced-cannibalism-north-korea

http://www.examiner.com/article/korea-cannibalism-claims-famine-behind-north-korean-cannibals

martin48
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Still wary that this is a true story or just something we want to believe

Plenty of meat here

Prospero
01-29-2013, 09:37 PM
It has been in the mainstream media...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/north-korean-cannibalism-fears-amid-claims-starving-people-forced-to-desperate-measures-8468781.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/1432366/Famine-struck-N-Koreans-eating-children.html

Stavros
01-29-2013, 09:42 PM
There have been recorded examples of cannibalism in China as a consequence of the famine that accompanied the 'Great Leap Forward' between 1958-1962. Jasper Becker wrote about it in his book, Hungry Ghosts in 1998; Frank Dikotter wrote a more detailed study published in 2011 as Mao's Great Famine; last year a heavily detailed new book using local archives written by a Chinese historian Yang Jisheng was published, called Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine: 1958-1962.

Prospero
01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
And in other contexts. I think in Stalingrad it also occured.... and then of course there was the Andean plane crash a few years ago.

notdrunk
01-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Sounds like we want to start another war. De-humanize the enemy, that's how to get the populus to support a war.

LOL. North Korea has done stuff throughout the years that would justify an invasion by South Korea and its allies at any time.

BallBuster
01-30-2013, 01:16 AM
LOL. North Korea has done stuff throughout the years that would justify an invasion by South Korea and its allies at any time.
Not, while China is the is the godfather.

notdrunk
01-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Not, while China is the is the godfather.

My point is that an invasion of North Korea by South Korea and company is less likely than a North Korea invasion of South Korea.

Stavros
01-30-2013, 03:27 AM
It isn't going to happen, the military in North Korea have their benefits, and as they would lose so the Generals would lose their comforts. The war games the North Koreans engage are intended to warn off the South from trying anything on. It is even debatable if the South wants a full union, if it happens it would have to be phased in I think over many years. Its not like West and East Germany.

Sulka_bewitched_me
01-30-2013, 04:24 AM
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02434/nk_2434966b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9761711/North-Korea-has-constructed-multiple-uranium-enrichment-facilities.html&h=388&w=620&sz=56&tbnid=xki93LgdCLrKMM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=144&zoom=1&usg=__Ja1EuNS2PoFOdGRHF1V8MgJKvQo=&docid=bh9pPpkUHzCABM&sa=X&ei=toQIUZ65GaGriAL6j4G4Cg&ved=0CEsQ9QEwBw&dur=103
Still wary that this is a true story or just something we want to believe

Plenty of meat here
lmfao.......yea you know fatty there isn't going without!

Genetic
01-30-2013, 02:26 PM
While it's been in "mainstream" news, all of these stories come from the same source - Asia Press. Besides, The Independent is full of shit as they've reported things which I know from my job are 100% outright lies.

Prospero
01-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Really Genetic..... tell us more re The Independent. But I do take your point about "asia press.' It is almost certainly disinformation. Propagandists have been at it for years. I recall stories during the invasion of Kuwait about how the cruel iraqis threw babies from incubators out on the steet. World war One had stories about the germans eating babies etc etc

Stavros
01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
I think part of the problem may be that there have been times when people were accused of being cannibals as 'proof' of their wickedness, the collapse of morals etc, even if it wasn't true. The claim was being made to separate one group from another and to smear the reputation of people seeking power, or who held it but were not considered worthy.

It is obscure but there was an article on cannibalism in North Africa in the 16th an 17th centuries (British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies 18, 2 1991) which analysed the evidence and concluded that the claims were made by rival factions competing for power in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya, and that they key to all of the examples was the moral differences being made by competitors for power. Just as in the battle of Uhud of 625 that took place in Arabia between Muhammad and his opponents in Mecca, the daughter of one of Muhammad's bitter enemies is alleged to have torn out the liver of the man who killed him, Muhammad's uncle Hamza, and chewed it -a sure sign of the depravity of the unbelievers...

Genetic
01-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Really Genetic..... tell us more re The Independent.

The Independent ran a load of stories the year before last about children being "stolen" by the state, where children were taking into care over the slightest reasons. The big case they went with was regarding a couple who took their baby into A+E cause it had some mild bruising, but were then arrested immediately and the child taken into care.

For weeks they kept on about this incident, repeatedly questioned how this could happen and went on about decent people being victimised.

However, what had actually happened (and the Independent knew it) was that the bruises had been seen by a GP the day before who had said they were nothing to worry about cause children bruise easily. The trip to A+E was because the baby wouldn't stop screaming and one of their legs had gone floppy.

When the baby was seen by the staff at the hospital they contacted social services and the police because the baby had a broken leg. Now I think we all know how it's not that common to break both bones below the knee so the leg ends up flopping round, so you can imagine how incredibly rare it is for that to happen in the thigh (the femur). The femur had been snapped in two with massive force that indicated that one of the parents had deliberately held the baby's thigh and snapped it.

That's why the parents were arrested and the baby taken into custody.

Now The Independent were aware of this and breached court orders regarded anonymity to publish the story. The judge even wrote to the reporter in question and the editor inviting them to sit in on the hearings because the published story had failed to mention the broken bones and he wanted them to have the full story. However they repeatedly declined and continued to run the story.

They did the same thing in another high profile case, alleging that a father had been given full custody of his children over the mother, despite him being a registered paedophile. However he wasn't a paedophile at all, let alone a registered sex offender.

Everything in the press needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Prospero
01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Phew... that is a curious case indeed Genetic. Thanks for that. I confess i do read the indy and the Guardian. Standards of journalism are slipping in the UK.

Frescadrink
01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Does not look like fat boy Kim has missed a meal though...

Human-After-All
02-01-2013, 05:46 AM
An absolutely ridiculous story and the fact that anyone buys it is baffling.

Genetic
02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Phew... that is a curious case indeed Genetic. Thanks for that. I confess i do read the indy and the Guardian. Standards of journalism are slipping in the UK.

I used to read those two as well, now I just take a look at the BBC website and then try and verify anything i find interesting.

BallBuster
02-02-2013, 12:29 AM
An absolutely ridiculous story and the fact that anyone buys it is baffling.
That was my point. See post #4.

buttslinger
02-02-2013, 02:20 AM
These two North Koreans were eating a clown when one says "Does this taste funny to you?

ImmerGeil
02-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Do you know that Cannabis is legal in North Korea?