PDA

View Full Version : How does cell phone service in the US compare to the rest of the world?

Silcc69
08-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm very curious about this and I would like to see if the rest of the world is getting fucked like we are in the US?

SammiValentine
08-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm very curious about this and I would like to see if the rest of the world is getting fucked like we are in the US?

Give us a clue. Fucked how? Coverage, cost? :) x

Silcc69
08-17-2012, 10:36 PM
It's kinda hard because I have an unlocked phone and I go to Simple Mobile 50 a month for unlimited everything. Though there data is actually capped out at 2GB then they send you a text about getting rid of you off there service. Anyways i'm not a buying a contract phone and putting up with all of these carriers BS. So I can't make a good comparison really.

talldudeil
08-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Try Venezuela, was there for 3 weeks and coverage sucks, it 3G at the best and being a mountainous rain forest it a pain to install towers. You drop calls all the time and have many dead zones. So while we might bitch about the US try a 3rd world country.

JenniferParisHusband
08-18-2012, 03:43 AM
Back in 1999 when I was living in Tokyo, I had full on 3G speed, unlimited streaming audio and video, unlimited text and calls, and I was paying about $40 per month. Korea took a little while longer to get there. (This is all pre-I-phones) But by 2004, I had the same thing there, maybe about $50 per month through KT (Korea Telecom)

However, living in Beijing in 2007, I was lucky to get any cell coverage when I near the fourth ring road or beyond. And anything inside of that zone was sketchy at best. All for about $120 per month.

Ryz
08-18-2012, 03:46 AM
I had a really fucked up plan with Rogers when I was about 16. I would get charged for incoming texts, and some girl spammed the shit outta my phone. I wasn't even aware that I was being charged for that shittt. I'm still with them though, and my plan is still garbage.

cerulean
08-18-2012, 03:53 AM
Hard to know what the true cost is in many countries because taxes subsidize so the price seems lower. Right now US is ahead of everyone else with 4+ carriers installing LTE.

Willie Escalade
08-18-2012, 04:01 AM
No real problems with my service (except on the Las Vegas Strip). No dropped calls, but I hate the slowing down of data speeds when I get to a certain level...and I have "unlimited" data.

I'm on an iPhone with AT&T by the way...all good in the Los Angeles area...

rockabilly
08-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Had a Droid phone with Verizon but we kept getting fucked on the bill , it was never the same amount twice and we were being charged extra for texts and data but were supposed to have unlimited texts and a 3gig data plan yet they only gave us 2 gigs each month.

I said Fuck them after getting a $425 bill and bought us straight talk Droid phones and get unlimited everything for $50 each.

bubbski
08-18-2012, 10:37 AM
In the US, and in the case of mobile to mobile calls, both the person making the mobile call and the person receiving the call will be charged minutes for the call, unless they are under some special program (unlimited calls or Mobile-to-mobile within the same network) or during certain hours (nights and weekends).

In most of rest of the world, the person PLACING the call pays all of the charges, there is no cost for receiving a phone call on a mobile device.

However, if someone from the UK calls another UK Number but the recipient is roaming in a foreign country, the person placing the call is charged for a local call, and the person receiving the call pays the roaming charges to take the call in say Luxembourg.

I think I've gotten it right.

Ben: Yeah, I had the same problem in Vegas with the iPhone... and when I'm in New York City, my battery barely lasts a work day. By the way, has anyone noticed that the GSM iPhone only had massive problems on the AT&T network in the US? The same GSM phone in other countries did not have the same dropped calls issue.

Femboyurge
08-18-2012, 12:32 PM
In Sweden it's actually so that some operators give the receiving mobile phone extra credits, usually about 3-4 US cents/minute.

onmyknees
08-18-2012, 04:58 PM
It's kinda hard because I have an unlocked phone and I go to Simple Mobile 50 a month for unlimited everything. Though there data is actually capped out at 2GB then they send you a text about getting rid of you off there service. Anyways i'm not a buying a contract phone and putting up with all of these carriers BS. So I can't make a good comparison really.

So your complaint is not with the service per say....it's with the amount of data you can transmit? Is Freddie texting you pictures all day ?

Ryz
08-18-2012, 07:53 PM
So your complaint is not with the service per say....it's with the amount of data you can transmit? Is Freddie texting you pictures all day ?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70gg2lvnt1rrm2tr.gif