PDA

View Full Version : Dick Clark passes away at 82.

Los Angeles resident
04-18-2012, 10:08 PM
The New York Times, Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 3:51pm EDT

DICK CLARK, NEW YEAR'S EVE ICON, IS DEAD AT 82

By BRIAN STELTER, The New York Times

The television legend Dick Clark, who originated “American Bandstand” and the perennial New Year’s Eve celebration on ABC, died Wednesday morning, his representative Paul Shefrin said.

Mr. Shefrin said that Mr. Clark, 82, had suffered a heart attack.

Mr. Clark and his countdown show, “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” have been synonymous with New Year’s Eve for decades. His role on the program was scaled back after he suffered a stroke in 2004, but he was back last December to count down to midnight and kiss his wife, Kari.

In an interview via e-mail last December, Mr. Clark said he presumed that for many viewers, it’s “comforting to see a familiar face who has been there for the past 40 years.”

He added that for viewers who have a physical disability, his appearances “may serve as a source of inspiration.”

For older generations of Americans Mr. Clark was best known as the host of “American Bandstand,” a groundbreaking music performance program.

It became, as John A. Jackson wrote in a 1997 book about the show, the beginning of a “pop music empire” for Mr. Clark.

Copyright 2012 The New York Times Company

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/04/19/business/dick-clark-decoder/dick-clark-decoder-articleInline.jpg

(ABC/Denis Plehn) Dick Clark, promoting his New Year’s Eve show in 1980.

Wendy Summers
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
New Years won't be the same for me without Dick.

sandymichelle
04-18-2012, 10:34 PM
a true legend n the tv & recording business is gone!!! RIP DC
YOU'LL BE MISSED N NY THIS END EVERY NYEVES THEREAFTER!!!

bassman2546
04-19-2012, 12:50 AM
New Years won't be the same for me without Dick.

You don't have to stop having dick on New Year's Eve.

RIP America's oldest living teenager!

Ben
04-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Elvira on Bloopers and Practical Jokes with Dick Clark and Ed McMahon - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSKl7-lErS0)

MdR Dave
04-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Frankly, post stroke Dick Clark creeped me out.

Terrible loss, though, and he made the best of what he was handed there at the end.

ed_jaxon
04-19-2012, 05:11 AM
AB was the shit back in the day. Not as hip as Soul Train but fun to watch every Saturday

Dino Velvet
04-19-2012, 05:20 AM
AB was the shit back in the day. Not as hip as Soul Train but fun to watch every Saturday

Him and Don Cornelius died fairly close together. Three and a half months. RIP to both gentlemen.

flabbybody
04-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Frankly, post stroke Dick Clark creeped me out.

Terrible loss, though, and he made the best of what he was handed there at the end.
I sadly agree.
but I admire him for trying to overcome his disability.