PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky church votes against interracial couples

natina
12-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Kentucky

all-white Appalachian church in rural Kentucky has voted to ban interracial couples from joining its flock, pitting members against each other in an argument over race.

Members at the Gulnare Free Will Baptist Church voted Sunday on the resolution, which says the church "does not condone interracial marriage."
The church member who crafted the resolution, Melvin Thompson, said he is not racist and called the matter an "internal affair."
"I am not racist. I will tell you that. I am not prejudiced against any race of people, have never in my lifetime spoke evil about a race," said Thompson, the church's former pastor who stepped down earlier this year. "That's what this is being portrayed as, but it is not."
Church secretary Dean Harville disagrees: He says the resolution came after his daughter visited the church this summer with her boyfriend from Africa.
Stella Harville and Ticha Chikuni — now her fiancé — visited the church in June and Chikuni sang a song for the congregation. The two had visited the church before.
Dean Harville, the church's secretary, said he was counting the church offering after a service in early August when he was approached by Thompson, who told him Harville's daughter and her boyfriend were no longer allowed to sing at the church.

"If he's not racist, what is this?" Harville said of Thompson.
The vote by members last Sunday was 9-6, Harville said. It was taken after the service, which about 35 to 40 people attended. Harville said many people left or declined to vote.
The resolution says anyone is welcome to attend services, but interracial couples could not become members or be "used in worship services or other church functions."
Stella Harville, a 24-year-old graduate student at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Indiana, called the vote "hurtful."

"I think part of me is still in shock and trying to process what's been going on the past few days," she said. "I really hope they overturn this."
The church's pastor, Stacy Stepp, said Wednesday that he was against the resolution. Stepp said the denomination's regional conference will begin working on resolving the issue this weekend.
The National Association of Free Will Baptists in Antioch, Tenn., has no official position on interracial marriage for its 2,400 churches worldwide, executive secretary Keith Burden said. The denomination believes in the Bible is inerrant and local churches have autonomy over decision-making.
"It's been a non-issue with us," Burden said, adding that many interracial couples attend Free Will Baptist churches. He said the Pike County church acted on its own. Burden said the association can move to strip the local church of its affiliation with the national denomination if it's not resolved.
"Hopefully it is corrected quickly," Burden said.
The church's vote on interracial marriage was first reported this week by East Kentucky Broadcasting, a network of local radio stations in the region.
Stella Harville met Chikuni at Georgetown College, where he is a student advisor. Dean Harville said Chikuni's parents live in southern Africa, and he has not seen them in over a decade.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45499321/ns/us_news/

------------------------------------

sin to speak against one marrying different race
Exhibit A: Moses Marries a Black Woman

Aaron and Miriam’s Racial Discrimination Against Moses’ Wife: Numbers 12:1-16 – Moses’ brother Aaron and their sister Miriam spoke against Moses because of the ethnic identity of his wife. His wife was a Cushite, which means she was from the land of Cush (Num 12:1). The people were descendants of the son of Ham: Cush (see Genesis 10:6). The land of Cush is “south of Egypt, also called Nubia, which includes part of Sudan.”1 The word “Cush” in the Hebrew language of the original biblical text is simply translated “Ethiopia” by modern biblical scholars (Ex: NASB, Ezek. 29:10), though it is not equivalent to modern Ethiopia. The people who lived there were tall with “colored,” smooth skin (cf. Isaiah 18:2, 7; Jeremiah 13:23). In other words, Aaron and his sister Midian spoke against Moses because he married, in modern lingo, a “black” Ethiopian woman.

If ever there was an opportune time for God to teach against interracial marriages and turn this narrative into a parable of sorts—this was it. God could have taught Moses and the rest of the people of Israel a lesson by punishing Moses or at least speaking out against his marrying a woman of another race. However, instead of God pronouncing judgment on Moses for marrying this black woman, and thereby vindicating Miriam and Aaron, God instead struck Miriam with leprosy. The narrative presents the incident as God’s way of teaching a lesson to both Aaron and his sister Miriam for speaking out against Moses. Therefore, Aaron confessed his racial slanders against Moses as “sin” (Num 12:11) and begged that Moses not account their sin to them. Moses cried out on their behalf to God, asking God to heal Miriam of the leprosy. God was merciful to heal her, but He told Moses that she would have to bear her shame by being banished outside the camp for a week (Num 12:14-15).

Conclusion – In answering the question, “What does God think about interracial marriages?” biblically, we must say not only that God has never forbidden such marriages—and did not speak out against the most prominent OT saint for marrying a black Ethiopian woman—but we must also say that He considers it a “sin” to speak against anyone for marrying someone of a different race.2

http://theophilogue.wordpress.com/2006/10/02/exhibit-a-moses-marries-a-black-woman/

Related Link: When the first wife of Moses died, he married a woman from Cush. Cush is present-day Ethiopia. In other words, Moses married a black woman

kaiser1one
12-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Go to another church. No biggie.

Merkurie
12-02-2011, 07:29 AM
They are just jealous because she found a man she was not related to.

wbmando
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
On balance, more evil is done in the name of God than good.

WendyWilliams
12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I was born and raised in Pike County and you have to understand that this is the ways and beliefs of alot of people in the area. Until high school I had never even seen an African American person except on t.v. We had a mixed girl my Freshman year and soon her family moved. They are backwards on beliefs that arent core of a Appalachian culture. Old time religion, beliefs and poverty. This does not stand for all of Eastern Kentucky however a very large majority.

Sad to see my home area in such negative lighting but its a hidden truth that exists in the hills of Eastern Ky. FYI that area mentioned is only like 15 minutes from where I was born and raised.

Nikka
12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
we need to call the kentucky fried chicken pimp from that south park episode

Faldur
12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
On balance, more evil is done in the name of God than good.

Ya, I think not..

justafreak
12-02-2011, 05:21 PM
god is truth, religion is bullshit

FreddieGomez
12-02-2011, 05:55 PM
all seriousness aside tho, why do brothaz go crazy for the ugliest white chicks?

Silcc69
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
all seriousness aside tho, why do brothaz go crazy for the ugliest white chicks?

LOL she isn't much of the looker.

onmyknees
12-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I normally don't waste valuable time reading anything posted by Natina, because it will just keep showing up, but I did look at the picture, and I'm against this marriage too.....albeit for different reasons... That dude is in for a life of mysery.

But seriously....so some country church thinks blacks should marry blacks, and whites should marry whites. I guarantee you ...ask most black chics and they'll tell you the same fucking thing. You're just one more on a long list of HA race baiters Natina. Fuck off.

hippifried
12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
They are just jealous because she found a man she was not related to.
Good, somebody understands.

natina
12-03-2011, 01:09 AM
sin to speak against one marrying different race
Exhibit A: Moses Marries a Black Woman

Aaron and Miriam’s Racial Discrimination Against Moses’ Wife: Numbers 12:1-16 – Moses’ brother Aaron and their sister Miriam spoke against Moses because of the ethnic identity of his wife. His wife was a Cushite, which means she was from the land of Cush (Num 12:1). The people were descendants of the son of Ham: Cush (see Genesis 10:6). The land of Cush is “south of Egypt, also called Nubia, which includes part of Sudan.”1 The word “Cush” in the Hebrew language of the original biblical text is simply translated “Ethiopia” by modern biblical scholars (Ex: NASB, Ezek. 29:10), though it is not equivalent to modern Ethiopia. The people who lived there were tall with “colored,” smooth skin (cf. Isaiah 18:2, 7; Jeremiah 13:23). In other words, Aaron and his sister Midian spoke against Moses because he married, in modern lingo, a “black” Ethiopian woman.

If ever there was an opportune time for God to teach against interracial marriages and turn this narrative into a parable of sorts—this was it. God could have taught Moses and the rest of the people of Israel a lesson by punishing Moses or at least speaking out against his marrying a woman of another race. However, instead of God pronouncing judgment on Moses for marrying this black woman, and thereby vindicating Miriam and Aaron, God instead struck Miriam with leprosy. The narrative presents the incident as God’s way of teaching a lesson to both Aaron and his sister Miriam for speaking out against Moses. Therefore, Aaron confessed his racial slanders against Moses as “sin” (Num 12:11) and begged that Moses not account their sin to them. Moses cried out on their behalf to God, asking God to heal Miriam of the leprosy. God was merciful to heal her, but He told Moses that she would have to bear her shame by being banished outside the camp for a week (Num 12:14-15).

Conclusion – In answering the question, “What does God think about interracial marriages?” biblically, we must say not only that God has never forbidden such marriages—and did not speak out against the most prominent OT saint for marrying a black Ethiopian woman—but we must also say that He considers it a “sin” to speak against anyone for marrying someone of a different race.2

http://theophilogue.wordpress.com/2006/10/02/exhibit-a-moses-marries-a-black-woman/

Related Link: When the first wife of Moses died, he married a woman from Cush. Cush is present-day Ethiopia. In other words, Moses married a black woman

Erika1487
12-03-2011, 01:25 AM
I was born and raised in Pike County and you have to understand that this is the ways and beliefs of alot of people in the area. Until high school I had never even seen an African American person except on t.v. We had a mixed girl my Freshman year and soon her family moved. They are backwards on beliefs that arent core of a Appalachian culture. Old time religion, beliefs and poverty. This does not stand for all of Eastern Kentucky however a very large majority.

Sad to see my home area in such negative lighting but its a hidden truth that exists in the hills of Eastern Ky. FYI that area mentioned is only like 15 minutes from where I was born and raised.

I agree with this 100%
Growing up in rual S.E Ohio and being about the same age, I had many of the same experiences. At my High school we had two African American students, and where not there all 4 years.
Southeast Ohio is not as tight knit as eastern KY, but I can tell you the local leaders are just as backward thinking. I was in many closed door meeting of local county leaders and watched as the 'good ol' boys club' got together to discuss things like the "Ni&^&r problem" and "those queers" when talking about African Americans and gay marraige. For years I worked and volunteered for them, but I wised up. Now I will not be silenced on the issue, and if anyone asks me I will tell them straight up what kind of asshole racists they really are.

onmyknees
12-03-2011, 01:38 AM
I agree with this 100%
Growing up in rual S.E Ohio and being about the same age, I had many of the same experiences. At my High school we had two African American students, and where not there all 4 years.
Southeast Ohio is not as tight knit as eastern KY, but I can tell you the local learders are just as backward thinking. I was in many closed door meeting of local county leaders and watched as the 'good ol' boys club' got together to discuss things like the "Ni&^&r problem" and "those queers" when talking about African Americans and gay marraige. For years I worked and volunteered for them, but I wised up. Now I will not be silenced on the issue, and if anyone asks me I will tell them straight up what kind of asshole racists they really are.

Well I'm so glad you made it out of that living hell and cesspool of intolerance Erika, to a world of HA where you're accepted, loved and adored for who, and what you are. The more things change, the more they stay the same............:dancing:

Erika1487
12-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Well I'm so glad you made it out of that living hell and cesspool of intolerance Erika, to a world of HA where you're accepted, loved and adored for who, and what you are. The more things change, the more they stay the same............:dancing:

Yeah I would agree with you there omk;) I still live in my little home town of less than 400, I just don't support the folks I used to work on the local level. My core conservative principals have not budged too much, I do find I am more center of the road on most social issues now. As far as hate goes personally things have been going ok the last month or so locally, I have even decided not to sell the house for awhile. I must say I probably deserved some of the rage and anger thrown at me for some of my political posts, looking back I guess I did stirr the pot a bit:whistle: