View Full Version : Is Adele the new Aretha?

buckjohnson
11-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I know some of you old cats will consider this blasphemy but is Adele the new Aretha? Her command of her vocals, the perfect pitch/ tone, the soulfulness of her spirit, the unseen naughty side, (like Aretha’s Dr. Feelgood, esp. her live version), I think a royal uprising is coming. And why does it seem the most soulful females are coming from Europe. Amy, Joss, Adele, Duffy, etc…

I think the one thing that has hurt American soul music is the quality of the voice, which I think is directly connected to not being church taught. I remember my gay church choir director always preaching “tone”. And ‘pitch”. And never calling out baritone or tenor parts, but actually telling us what note and/or key to sing in. I wished Mary J and Beyonce had church training. Listen to Chaka, Anita, Aretha, etc.. to see the difference.

loveboof
11-12-2011, 09:14 PM
And why does it seem the most soulful females are coming from Europe. Amy, Joss, Adele, Duffy, etc…

With those four as examples you could be a little more specific than Europe...

PomonaCA
11-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Command of vocals? Have you ever even heard her fucking singing? It sounds like some college broad doing a bad cover of Nina Simone. She's sloppy as fuck in her vocals which is really sad. It's not only sad that another fatty is making shit music, but also that her fucking producers didn't auto tune the shit out of her shitty voice.

And do not ever compare adele to Amy Winehouse. Amy (a true musician) had talent, all fatty has is pipes with little to no control.

raybbaby
11-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Calling an artist "the new...." whoever is a real pet peeve of mine. Enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is. You end up inadvertently taking something away from both individuals when you make comparisons like that, no matter how flattering you may think comparing Adele to Aretha is, or Dylan/Springsteen, or who ever. Both deserve to be appreciated as individuals. OK, rant over.

TSMichelleAustin
11-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Im not a fan of Aretha I prefer Patty over her! But I think Adele is amazing!!!

flabbybody
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
enough with 'Someone Like You'. Commercial radio really knows how to kill a song with repetition. gotta get me sirius for the car.
but she does have a great voice

Willie Escalade
11-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Love my XM Radio...and Pandora!

I'm a fan as well...although I actually prefer Duffy over her (Hanging On Too Long is one of my favorite tracks). And yes, despite her problems, Amy was (and will always be) in a class of her own. Joss is great as well, but she keeps changing her style.

ALL of the above are in my iPod and get rotation. They're not the next "whoever", they're the first "themselves".

buckjohnson
11-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Command of vocals? Have you ever even heard her fucking singing? It sounds like some college broad doing a bad cover of Nina Simone. She's sloppy as fuck in her vocals which is really sad. It's not only sad that another fatty is making shit music, but also that her fucking producers didn't auto tune the shit out of her shitty voice.

And do not ever compare adele to Amy Winehouse. Amy (a true musician) had talent, all fatty has is pipes with little to no control.

I agree with the auto tune. It bothers me alot.

But I have seen Adele live. And I am not on board about Nina Simone. She gave inconsitant perfomances/

And while Amy was a true musician, she had problems at time with her voice and live sometimes she was a mess vocally as well as being unprofesssional.

buckjohnson
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Love my XM Radio...and Pandora!

I'm a fan as well...although I actually prefer Duffy over her (Hanging On Too Long is one of my favorite tracks). And yes, despite her problems, Amy was (and will always be) in a class of her own. Joss is great as well, but she keeps changing her style.

ALL of the above are in my iPod and get rotation. They're not the next "whoever", they're the first "themselves".

I love pandora.

You are also right about being "themselves".

buckjohnson
11-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Calling an artist "the new...." whoever is a real pet peeve of mine. Enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is. You end up inadvertently taking something away from both individuals when you make comparisons like that, no matter how flattering you may think comparing Adele to Aretha is, or Dylan/Springsteen, or who ever. Both deserve to be appreciated as individuals. OK, rant over.

I dont agree with you about comparing artists. Although it might buttonhole, it can also be illuminating.

buckjohnson
11-12-2011, 10:34 PM
With those four as examples you could be a little more specific than Europe...

I listen to Pandora, and it does not list what country a singer comes from. But since it is on my Adele station, and just going by name and looks only, the singers appear to be from Europe.

EvonRose
11-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Adele is a unique artist in my opinion, there are so many Aretha's already with the same kind of soul she projects, Adele has a soulful voice that makes me just cry and rethink about my stupid ex and I can feel her pain...

Aretha is like Whitney technically very good singers but the songs are more pop ish or ballad, They are singers for the show, while singers like Adele is about the lyrics and music itself...

loveboof
11-12-2011, 11:47 PM
I listen to Pandora, and it does not list what country a singer comes from. But since it is on my Adele station, and just going by name and looks only, the singers appear to be from Europe.

Well if you don't know, you don't know.

Personally if I discover a band or artist who I relate with I like to find out about them too.

Amy, Adele, Duffy, and Joss Stone are all British. (Duffy is Welsh, and the others are English).

BellaBellucci
11-13-2011, 12:00 AM
You guys forgot Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine), as is often the case unfortunately. Chaka is incredibly underplayed for a woman so talented. Beyonce is a hack, but Mary J.'s the real deal. And whatever happened to Anita Baker? Didn't I hear something about a possible comeback? :?

Just my .02.

~BB~

flabbybody
11-13-2011, 12:18 AM
when gaga got big in the NYC gay club scene circa 2006 it was hard not to think of Madonna's start in the early 80's. same venue 25 years later. It's hard not to make comparisons

SammiValentine
11-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Well if you don't know, you don't know.

Personally if I discover a band or artist who I relate with I like to find out about them too.

Amy, Adele, Duffy, and Joss Stone are all British. (Duffy is Welsh, and the others are English).

Adele is amazing... !

Prospero
11-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Adele is the new Adele... and I hope she recovers from her vocal chord problems.
The new Elvis, the new Beatles, the new Dylan, the new Springsteen, the new Bowie, the Madonna blah blah blah

loveboof
11-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Adele is amazing... !

Yeah I agree - not usually my kind of thing, but she is really talented. Amy is way overrated imo, but she had a great voice. Duffy can sing, but doesn't really write songs. It's the same with Joss Stone as far as I know...

SammiValentine
11-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Not my thing at all either- but deffo amazing ;-)

Solitary Brother
11-13-2011, 02:52 AM
No she is not

buckjohnson
11-13-2011, 03:03 AM
[QUOTE=EvonRose;1046961]Adele has a soulful voice that makes me just cry and rethink about my stupid ex and I can feel her pain...

QUOTE]

This is what i wanted to say, but I am not smart or have the verbal dexterity you have, so i will just copy you quote and wish that it was something I was capable of writing.

buckjohnson
11-13-2011, 03:07 AM
You guys forgot Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine), as is often the case unfortunately. Chaka is incredibly underplayed for a woman so talented. Beyonce is a hack, but Mary J.'s the real deal. And whatever happened to Anita Baker? Didn't I hear something about a possible comeback? :?

Just my .02.

~BB~
I read Chaka autobiography and she wrote that she gave some advice to Mary J at a VH1 program in which singing lessons was part of the advice and pitch waas another.

I recently discovered Florence and score some points with some lesbian chick at work for knowing about her, which I intend to cash in soon.

BellaBellucci
11-13-2011, 03:13 AM
I read Chaka autobiography and she wrote that she gave some advice to Mary J at a VH1 program in which singing lessons was part of the advice and pitch waas another.

Well then Chaka's a snob. I think they're both just terrific. :lol:

~BB~

slingblade
11-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Man youre all over the place with this post. No the most soulful singers don't come out of up Europe you see a couple and people wanna make a big deal about it and please amy and joss are just pretenders to begin with.

in a nutshell hell no/.

Gillian
11-13-2011, 03:33 AM
The debate might be a moot one. As I understand it, she's still struggling with her voice ever since a chest infection earlier this year. BBC article explains (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15500431).

Fingers crossed she sorts it out and the prospects of a fantastic career aren't ruined ...

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/56351000/jpg/_56351331_012963240-1.jpg

giovanni_hotel
11-13-2011, 06:10 AM
Point blank, if you're a White female soul singer from the UK, you're going to get hyped.
Adele is talented, but if she was a Black woman, the response would be like, 'And?'

Aretha is 'pop'??? Huh??
Even Adele would say she isn't a tenth of the vocal talent Aretha is, and that's no disrespect to Adele.
Aretha Franklin "Lady Soul" TV-Special 1968 Pt. 5 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw9bs4KDR1Y)
The WONDERFUL Aretha Franklin LIVE - "Don't Play That Song" - '70 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3r3196Dok)

Live vocals on early SOul Train appearance..!
Aretha Franklin performs Rock Steady - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOj9lPbp1I4)

I like Adele best of the Brit neo soul singers,(RIP Amy!), but come on this is a troll topic.

loveboof
11-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Without doubt Adele is no where near the kind of singer Aretha was! However, it could be argued that she is already a more successful songwriter...

Edit: oh and it's totally unfair to suggest she is hyped simply because she is white and from the UK. Nobody gave a shit in America until they accidentally heard her while tuning in for Sarah Palin on SNL.

runningdownthatdream
11-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Point blank, if you're a White female soul singer from the UK, you're going to get hyped.
Adele is talented, but if she was a Black woman, the response would be like, 'And?'

Aretha is 'pop'??? Huh??
Even Adele would say she isn't a tenth of the vocal talent Aretha is, and that's no disrespect to Adele.
Aretha Franklin "Lady Soul" TV-Special 1968 Pt. 5 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw9bs4KDR1Y)
The WONDERFUL Aretha Franklin LIVE - "Don't Play That Song" - '70 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3r3196Dok)

Aretha Franklin performs Rock Steady - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOj9lPbp1I4)

I like Adele best of the Brit neo soul singers,(RIP Amy!), but come on this is a troll topic.

Hear Hear!

It's verging on disrespectful to put anyone with the inexperience of an Adele in Aretha's class. Aretha led.................everyone else follows.

Willie Escalade
11-13-2011, 02:39 PM
I like Dusty Springfield too; just listen to "Dusty in Memphis". Even SHE was scared to be recording in the same studio Aretha did...

buckjohnson
11-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Aretha is 'pop'??? Huh??

My man, please re-read my post. I never said Adele has as much vocal talent...I was very specific about my comparision.

Lot of folks from the "hood" never got Aretha. And a lot folks, particulary church folks, resisted her when she went pop. Also come to a inner city church one day. there is an "aretha" almost in every church choir

buckjohnson
11-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Without doubt Adele is no where near the kind of singer Aretha was! However, it could be argued that she is already a more successful songwriter...

Edit: oh and it's totally unfair to suggest she is hyped simply because she is white and from the UK. Nobody gave a shit in America until they accidentally heard her while tuning in for Sarah Palin on SNL.

I beg to differ. Aretha wrote many of hear early singers. Her more poular songs, the corny ones, were written by others. But her most soulful songs, the ones with the most spirit, were written by Aretha.

THat said, the passion and soul I get from Adele is like early Aretha. It is just one of those things hard to write about, hard to capture. Like a Coltrane solo, you just have to be there, metaphysically, spritually, etc...

loveboof
11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I beg to differ. Aretha wrote many of hear early singers. Her more poular songs, the corny ones, were written by others. But her most soulful songs, the ones with the most spirit, were written by Aretha.

Well to be honest mate, you didn't even know what country Adele is from - so I'm not going to credit you with any knowledge of her sales and publishing statistics...

And fyi Aretha hardly wrote any of her songs. The few she did write were usually co-written.

EvonRose
11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Like I said both are good singers but two different type of soul, Aretha has a mezzo soprano gospel voice, but her music to me is nice to listen to because of the technicality of her voice and range, Her soul doesn't move me as much as Adele even tough she has a contralto range but the emotions she puts behind her writing and arrangements with her raw talent is more moving...TO ME.

I love Aretha and I look up to her, but I made a special room with music inspiration for Adele. She is special.

95racer
11-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I met a well known mastering studio owner through a family friend. There main studio is in Hollywood/ LA along with a couple of satellite locations around the world. My friends have been to his studio and the gold & platinum records on the walls were the whos-who of music. He would come back 'home' once a year and visit family.

One day, over lunch, we got him to talk some shop and asked who was the best singer/ band to work with? Without hesitation he said Aretha Franklin. She could come in and finish work many times in one take. He was amazed at her talent, this coming from a guy in the business.

On the opposite we asked who was the worst? Prince.

Bobby Domino
11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
comparing a newbie to an icon is utterly irresponsible. Aretha earned to be called "Aretha." Adele's got 2 very good albums under her belt. Give the sister some time; let's see what she can do
By the way, it's not hard to rise through the immense pile of shit we call music these days. As far as I'm concerned, for the time being, Adele's the flavor of the month...

giovanni_hotel
11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
My man, please re-read my post. I never said Adele has as much vocal talent...I was very specific about my comparision.

Lot of folks from the "hood" never got Aretha. And a lot folks, particulary church folks, resisted her when she went pop. Also come to a inner city church one day. there is an "aretha" almost in every church choir

I don't like saying this, but the bolded is maybe one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the interwebs.

And what Black neighborhood are you from where fam didn't 'get' Aretha??
SMH.
It's a shitty comparison for Adele and an insult to Aretha IMO.
Let Adele be ADELE. She's a unique, talented, emotionally moving vocal artist, which is more than I can say for most of the current crop of female vocalists currently on the scene.

Let's be real, if Angie Stone or Jill Scott was Irish or Australian etc, OMG!! People would be all up in their crease!!

Angie Stone LIVE: Wish I Didn't Miss You (Mahogany Soul) W Lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chbXnCzBk4s)
Jill Scott "Hate On Me" LIVE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPur8EbdO4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)

EvonRose
11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't like saying this, but the bolded is maybe one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the interwebs.

SMH.
Let Adele be ADELE. She's a unique, talented, emotionally moving vocal artist, which is more than I can say for most of the current crop of female vocalists currently on the scene.

Let's be real, if Angie Stone or Jill Scott was Irish or Australian etc, OMG!! People would be all up in their crease!!

Angie Stone LIVE: Wish I Didn't Miss You (Mahogany Soul) W Lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chbXnCzBk4s)
Jill Scott "Hate On Me" LIVE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPur8EbdO4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)

I agree Adele doesn't sound like anyone, and its so biased to say where shes going to be in the next few years... 2 records, platinum, Grammy, world record, net worth over 10 million, Uk and US sensation, under 25? what? This girl in 10 years will be huge!!!

Aretha is of course good but you people cannot compare ones success who just started to someone who is more than 50 years older.. Lets be realistic here.

buckjohnson
01-08-2012, 05:21 PM

SMH.

Have never been able to feel Angie. And Jill Scott is like Bobby Bonds. Never seems to have reach the talent potential they possessed.

buckjohnson
01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I agree Adele doesn't sound like anyone, and its so biased to say where shes going to be in the next few years... 2 records, platinum, Grammy, world record, net worth over 10 million, Uk and US sensation, under 25? what? This girl in 10 years will be huge!!!

Aretha is of course good but you people cannot compare ones success who just started to someone who is more than 50 years older.. Lets be realistic here.

I do not think you were around when Ms. Aretha started, but she was a child prodigy, and daughter of one of the nations most famous reacher, who was always in the nations top two black pubications (at the time) Jet and Ebony. She had rock star status in Detroit church world. So I was not comparing Adele to Aretha. I am saying, emotionally and spiritually, she reaches the soul of folks, like the young Aretha.