PDA

View Full Version : Bollocks or top bollocks

hard4janira
11-11-2011, 07:44 AM
This could be an interesting thread if played right. (note: keep it highbrow or it doesn't work)

I'll start: My Dinner with Andre. Bollocks or top bollocks?

Bobby Domino
11-11-2011, 07:45 AM
I'd like to play but I have no idea how... maybe I'll wait after a few posts... excuse me

hard4janira
11-11-2011, 07:53 AM
I'd like to play but I have no idea how... maybe I'll wait after a few posts... excuse me

Lol, this thread might not be going anywhere!

soulRipp
11-11-2011, 07:55 AM
bollocks means bad so do you like the movie or do you don't like the movie

soulRipp
11-11-2011, 07:56 AM
i thought it was the dog bollocks that means good maybe am wrong

MdR Dave
11-11-2011, 07:59 AM
This could be an interesting thread if played right. (note: keep it highbrow or it doesn't work)

I'll start: My Dinner with Andre. Bollocks or top bollocks?
Steve Jones (from the Sex Pistols) did a version of this with songs on his radio show (the much vallyhhoed and now defunct INDIE 103.1).

Bollocks was "pants". Top bollocks was "mustard". If it was good it had mustard all over it, or another variation.

"My Dinner with Andre" clearly wears pants. To cover it's bollocks.

hard4janira
11-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Spot on. I watched it again last night. The only other time I watched it was like 20 years ago. I can see why people think its bollocks, but the script and acting are top shelf. I think the are poking fun of society intellectuals in a way..I always thought that was the case. Some people hate that fucking film though.

hard4janira
11-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Iv'e heard that too. Top bollocks means the same thing as 'the dogs bollocks'

MdR Dave
11-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Spot on. I watched it again last night. The only other time I watched it was like 20 years ago. I can see why people think its bollocks, but the script and acting are top shelf. I think the are poking fun of society intellectuals in a way..I always thought that was the case. Some people hate that fucking film though.

Isn't Wally Shawn in that movie? That might be why people hate it. That fu€k was BORN wearing pants.

The only watchable thing he's ever been in was "Princess Bride". Not even Mandy Patinkin could ruin that movie. They spread mustard over every frame of that film.

hard4janira
11-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Isn't Wally Shawn in that movie? That might be why people hate it. That fu€k was BORN wearing pants.

The only watchable thing he's ever been in was "Princess Bride". Not even Mandy Patinkin could ruin that movie. They spread mustard over every frame of that film.

Yes but Wally doesn't utter bollocks until the last 30 min of the film. Its 90% Gregory, yapping away.

hard4janira
11-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Ok, i dont think very many people have seen that movie (or care to).

Moving on...Bollocks or the dogs bollocks: 1st growth Bordeaux....

Discuss.....

Stavros
11-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I have never been a fan of Ernest Heminway who didn't like to use commas because only pansies use them. I think he never got over being dressed in pink and chiffon by his mother as if he were really a little girl. I think he thereafter had to emphasise what a butch guy he was even if he maybe he liked to see some matador ass. Maybe it was the smell of bull's blood that enriched his loins. Maybe we should re-title three of his books in honour of the wooden prose and one-dimensional layer of narrative and feeling that Cormac McCarthy thinks is cool.

A Farewell to Bollocks
The Old Man and the Bollocks
Across the River and Into the Bollocks

Its al bollocks, basically.

And keep your hands off Premier Cru!

hard4janira
11-17-2011, 07:39 AM
I've never had a Premier Cru. Can't afford it and nobody has offered. On the other hand, I've had some terrific 4th and 5th growth's (and they can get quite expenstive themselves). So is it worth it to pay more for a Premier Cru?

Edit: I read 'The Old Man and the Sea' about a year ago and I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Stavros
11-17-2011, 11:43 PM
The problem with Premier Cru is that it is becoming more an investment than a purchase -the demand in China has inflated prices, and two good years -2007 and 2009 have added to this, but these are wines for laying down. But also means buying to drink is exorbitant -the best are still the best, but at those prices if you want something full-bodied, packed with flavour and a perfect compliment to beef or lamb, Ribera del Durro, close to Rioja is a bargain by comparison -but make sure you buy a Riserva as the other stuff is just plonk.

hard4janira
11-18-2011, 08:00 AM
That makes sense. If you have someplace to store it I could imagine wine being a pretty terrific investment. Most of the Premier Cru stuff is proably sold at auction anyways. For me personally, I'm not willing to wait - I prefer the ready to drink stuff myself (or at most a couple of years). California is producing top shelf stuff and a lot of it is drinkable immediately.

Stavros
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
I haven't tasted the wines of Zimbabwe, if they still make it; India is improving its wine production, I am told; and Canada even has wine in the Niagara area and its drinkable; but where is the bollocks in all this?

Sake -disgusting stuff, tastes like semen with too much salt -almost anatomically top bollocks!!