PDA

View Full Version : I THINK WE SHOULD KNOW...WHATS UP WITH POSTING IMAGES

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-29-2006, 02:33 PM
hey folks

I'm not sure EXACTLY what happened but here is as close to an easy explanation as I can give you...............

Imagine you have an ipod. You upload everything to your ipod which for example is a 60gb and you have 50 gigs left, your whole mp3/wma/etc. music collection only weighed in at 10 gigs on that ipod. Now imagine ALL OF YOUR BUDS have 10 gigs and you're the only one with an ipod right now, but they all need to use yours to save their music otherwise all of their music is lost....................now imagine that you have 2000+ friends with 10 gigs each.
Your poor little ipod has reached it's max capacity on only a few friends so what do you need to do? 1. Tell your friends to get their own ipods and play their music for you & everyone through theirs, or 2. Get the biggest ipod you can find for the capacity you have now and expect later. In reality there is no ipod for this situation, but in our present situation there is a larger server.

Just a personal question for everyone that feels like answering............
has the board really suffered without pictures?

I mean I haven't been to any other forums for tgirls so i don't know what's going on elsewhere, but I have found many of the topics initiated and the replies sent in to be very intellectual as of late. Not saying that I don't want the pictures back, I just feel we've had a good vibe going with the current need to be more creative with our responses rather than the usual [copy image location] and [insert here for an lol] posts.............

flabbybody
01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks for the explanation JW.

why not just do a bulk deletion of old stuff? say, everything prior to Jan 2004. wouldn't that free up a lot of server space?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-29-2006, 02:51 PM
why not just do a bulk deletion of old stuff? say, everything prior to Jan 2004. wouldn't that free up a lot of server space?

I think that would be the easiest way to get the photos back, but you really have to admire the dedication folks have given to this board, whether it be the moderators or the posters, most sites would have shut down their server, done a wipe of outdated and seldom downloaded files and started from scratch, but the people here go the extra length to post things and the moderators and owners of the board respect that and want to keep things intact..................

chefmike
01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I wondered about that too flabby, I'm sure we have mods/members who can answer the question of deleting some of the old stuff.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-29-2006, 02:58 PM
I've only been on here for I think about a year now, and if I'm not mistaken this board goes back almost 5 to 6 years (estimating). So as a user of this forum, mod or not, it's not fair for me to even give my 2 cents as to what should be done. I do know this, I've found and reinitiated threads from years back that I thought were good for the flow of the board, I'd hate to see some of the really old stuff go.

chefmike
01-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Agreed, JWBL, although the pic option is a nice perk...

However, I certainly DON'T miss the "Does anyone have any shemale creampie pics, please please please" type of frantic threads...

AllanahStarrNYC
01-29-2006, 03:01 PM
not for nothing

BUT THIS IS free board- it is going through some changes and i am sure as soon as the owners are able o enable the return of images they will.

there is a proper reason for everything.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-29-2006, 03:02 PM
there's alot of posts on here that would BENEFIT the board by being removed, hell some probably even created by me, but IMO it would take away from the history of the forum....................

not for nothing

BUT THIS IS free board- it is going through some changes and i am sure as soon as the owners are able o enable the return of images they will.

there is a proper reason for everything.

damn good point, thanks for mentioning that

this is one of the ONLY forums I know that has endured this type of longevity without charging the users to access it................

the others being Utopiaguide and Worldsexguide

flabbybody
01-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I'd like to have a buck for every "Am I gay?" thread.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-29-2006, 03:12 PM

I'd take a tittyfuck for every Vanity thread...............

BeardedOne
01-29-2006, 03:19 PM

Well, it is kinda challenging to wank off to a political thread. :roll:

Unless Mary Carey runs for California governor again. :lol:

Truthfully, I do miss the pix (Hell, I wouldn't have known about half of the women mentioned if I hadn't seen some of the images), but I've spent as much or more time chatting about geeky social things as I did about which gurl's [Name of body part] was biggest-firmest-longest-roundest.

I've even met some cool new friends, which is not something I do very often (One of the downsides of being a hermit). Granted, that's been balanced by my also encountering some exceptional ah$$hollas, but that's the way nature works, I guess.

On a tech note: Does anyone have some numbers they could share with me re: the bandwidth usage of HA? Hanging out with the dotcommunists latey has tweaked my curiosity about such things. :) If such things are sekrit, just say so (Or PM me).

BeardedOne
01-29-2006, 03:23 PM

Hey, it could pay for more server space. Definitely. :D

Maybe a fine for "Me too" posts.

Who agrees?

Don't say "Me too". :lol: :lol:

BeardedOne
01-29-2006, 03:50 PM
...now imagine that you have 2000+ friends with 10 gigs each.

Just noticed the numbers at the 'front door' of the board. We're 16 shy of 5000 registered users (Not counting the lurkers). That's an impressive number and if they all post just a handful of pix that can crowd things up quite a bit.

smarterthanmost
01-29-2006, 04:50 PM
I mean I haven't been to any other forums for tgirls so i don't know what's going on elsewhere, but I have found many of the topics initiated and the replies sent in to be very intellectual as of late. Not saying that I don't want the pictures back, I just feel we've had a good vibe going with the current need to be more creative with our responses rather than the usual [copy image location] and [insert here for an lol] posts.............

...intellectual, the site name is "hung angels" for christ's sakes...leave that up to the Harvard chatroom...besides, pictures are worth a thousand words, let them speak for themselves...gimmie those pictures!!

sexxxylexi
01-29-2006, 05:43 PM
WHO GIVES A SHIT! Get off your lazy ass and make an account with image shack or some other picture hosting site.....u lazy bitch's.....options many options but of course we'd rather sit around and bitch like Allanah said its a free forum......your not paying to be here.......

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of Love

Lexi

thickbunns
01-29-2006, 05:56 PM

...intellectual, the site name is "hung angels" for christ's sakes...leave that up to the Harvard chatroom...besides, pictures are worth a thousand words, let them speak for themselves...gimmie those pictures!!

ME TOO :lol:

I definitely agree with smarterthanmost. This is the "Guide to Shemales and Transsexuals." Unless George Bush gets breast implants, i really don't care to hear about him and his antics here in this forum. I have cnn.com for that.

Maybe the moderators should consider adding another section for off-topic posts....like the sports lounge one.

Just my opinion.

partlycloudy
01-29-2006, 08:01 PM

yes. i think the board was going really good before the holidays and has definitely faded since the attachments were disabled. attachments are what attracts posters. attachments are what originally brought life to this board back when iluvshemales was posting. i'm not a fan of the cockcentric posts but i do miss some of the better pic threads. this place will slowly die out without attachments.

if server space is really the issue, then i'll volunteer to give up my 'asian persuasions' pic thread. but i'll probably end up replacing it with a brz pic thread. also, you might wanna take a look at deleting some posts from the original pic thread king iluvshemales. he's got some classic threads and i'd hate to see them go but he's got over 3000+ posts.

if bandwidth is the issue, then there's not much i think you can do except make the boards private. it'll cut out some of the random traffic the site gets by forcing people to login to view the boards.

pc

Saintrose
01-29-2006, 08:07 PM

I Cosign that !

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-29-2006, 10:46 PM

bitch like responses such as these from folks that are too scared to post under their normal name are the true reason most forums have problems
not picture loss

GroobySteven
01-29-2006, 11:20 PM
http://www.grooby.com/smy/jesse1020.jpg
http://www.grooby.com/smy/jesse1076.jpg

http://www.grooby.com/smy/jesse1086.jpg

This site must be losing money from what it relies on - the referral sales it makes. Having image postings entices/encourages someone to check out that website.
Guess there are some lazy ass webmasters who've dissappeared since they were unable to upload the images, it only takes a few more minutes to do it this way.
Almost anyone can get some free server space from their ISP or other hosting companies, so use it?
seanchai

chefmike
01-30-2006, 01:59 AM
WHO GIVES A SHIT! Get off your lazy ass and make an account with image shack or some other picture hosting site.....u lazy bitch's.....options many options but of course we'd rather sit around and bitch like Allanah said its a free forum......your not paying to be here.......

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of Love

Lexi

no shit, lexi...let's see if people actually get off their ass and post some pics, or just keep whining...

http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6771

brickcitybrother
01-30-2006, 03:25 AM
My :2cent says bring the pics back - when you're able to do so without too much hassle/cost. Till then the faithful will be ... well FAITHFUL. The rest will leave. Is that a bad thing?

I think using one's brain isn't so bad. Just cause we have a common thread doesn't mean that's all we are about.

partlycloudy
01-30-2006, 04:52 AM
you can call it whining if you want, but the state of the board is what it is and it'll only get worse. using image hosts for pic threads won't work because hotlinking will eventually get blocked (like imageshack already is) or you'll see a bunch of bandwidth exceeded messages instead of pics. and it ain't just about the attachments, but the activity. you can contribute all you want but without attachments it won't matter. let the board go another month with the attachments off, then take a look around.

GroobySteven
01-30-2006, 04:55 AM
you can call it whining if you want, but the state of the board is what it is and it'll only get worse. using image hosts for pic threads won't work because hotlinking will eventually get blocked (like imageshack already is) or you'll see a bunch of bandwidth exceeded messages instead of pics. and it ain't just about the attachments, but the activity. you can contribute all you want but without attachments it won't matter. let the board go another month with the attachments off, then take a look around.

I concur...

Ecstatic
01-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Storage (which is implied by "server size") is not the issue; storage is cheap. Bandwidth is quite possibly an issue with 4000+ views of popular threads, so that every 10 MB of image = 40,000+ MB (4 Gig) of bandwidth. Thus, if there's 100G of images (I doubt it) saved on the HA server, there could be bandwidth requirements 1000x that, and that gets into real numbers.

Now there's a ratio (ostensibily) as someone indicated between income generated by referrals to pay sites and cost of bandwidth and other factors, so the question becomes what's economically more viable: lower (presumed) referrals and lower bandwidth, or higher referrals and greater bandwidth?

I suspect that the server load in processing the 10's of 1000's of MySQL database processes (using phpBB which is NOT the most efficient forum software, though it is quite good) is more critical to the site performance than the bandwidth (assuming the referrals bring in more than enough to cover the cost of all that bandwidth). IOW, the server(s - I don't know what kind of load balancing is going on) may not be able in their present configuration to serve the bandwidth required (remember all those critical database read errors a while back?).

I've also heard some rumbling about 2257 violations being an issue. This could be just wild speculation, I don't know. But it does fit the profile.

sexxxylexi
01-30-2006, 07:01 AM
bitch like responses such as these from folks that are too scared to post under their normal name are the true reason most forums have problems
not picture loss

Believe it or not, that was my first post here and the name I use says it all!! It is tough to take something away from people once they have had a taste of it <had great pictures and comments, now no pictures in the boards> and not expect them to rebel or question "why"?

I'm sure people do appreciate this being a free forum where people can express their thoughts, share ideas, bitch, whine, cry, laugh & every so often, share pictures to back up their comments.

If you are that hung up over the pix why dont u go join the sites ? Why cause that costs money! Stop being so cheap join the sites and look at the pix theres another argument in itself....

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of LOve

Lexi

AllanahStarrNYC
01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
well im surprised party cloudy actually spoke instead of posting ridiculous pics

i guess the image ban had some good after all lol

hwbs
01-30-2006, 09:52 PM
yay bring on the low hanging balls and the 14 inch cocks....posters start your engines :rock2

AllanahStarrNYC
01-31-2006, 01:59 AM
snoooze

its over goddamn it

get the fuck over it

sexxxylexi
01-31-2006, 06:17 AM
yay bring on the low hanging balls and the 14 inch cocks....posters start your engines :rock2

LMAO

smarterthanmost
01-31-2006, 07:39 AM
not picture loss

Believe it or not, that was my first post here and the name I use says it all!! It is tough to take something away from people once they have had a taste of it <had great pictures and comments, now no pictures in the boards> and not expect them to rebel or question "why"?

I'm sure people do appreciate this being a free forum where people can express their thoughts, share ideas, bitch, whine, cry, laugh & every so often, share pictures to back up their comments.

If you are that hung up over the pix why dont u go join the sites ? Why cause that costs money! Stop being so cheap join the sites and look at the pix theres another argument in itself....

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of LOve

Lexi

I have shelled out tons of cash for sites and DVD's, I don't mind doing that...I just like to see other people whine :cry

You ask why you can't see my previous post, BECAUSE IT WAS DELETED, WELCOME TO THE U.S.S.R!!!!!

rick_932
01-31-2006, 07:43 AM
not picture loss

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of LOve

Lexi

I have shelled out tons of cash for sites and DVD's, I don't mind doing that...I just like to see other people whine :cry

You ask why you can't see my previous post, BECAUSE IT WAS DELETED, WELCOME TO THE U.S.S.R!!!!!

damn, another deleted post. what the hell is goin on here

Vicki Richter
01-31-2006, 07:46 AM
not picture loss

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of LOve

Lexi

Oh yours too? Yes correct... This is becoming the red China of shemale forums... I wonder who might be deleting all the posts?

<screenshot>

V/R

sexxxylexi
01-31-2006, 08:02 AM
not picture loss

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of LOve

Lexi

Oh yours too? Yes correct... This is becoming the red China of shemale forums... I wonder who might be deleting all the posts?

<screenshot>

V/R

Why do your posts have this at the bottom of all of them Viki? <screenshot>?

Vicki Richter
01-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Well... It just means I am taking a screenshot so I can prove I posted something rational. Although the admin can look and see what administrative action was taken, I want to prove that my posts weren't deserving of deleting. Additionally, if I don't screenshot my posts, the mod who did the deleting can make up whatever story they want about the contents. This way I can post them somewhere and link back to what I wrote without too much work.

smarterthanmost
01-31-2006, 08:14 AM
http://img139.imagevenue.com/loc18/th_96121_CCCP.JPG

http://img147.imagevenue.com/loc123/th_f2ceb_china.JPG

LOL!!

sexxxylexi
01-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Well... It just means I am taking a screenshot so I can prove I posted something rational. Although the admin can look and see what administrative action was taken, I want to prove that my posts weren't deserving of deleting. Additionally, if I don't screenshot my posts, the mod who did the deleting can make up whatever story they want about the contents. This way I can post them somewhere and link back to what I wrote without too much work.

oh ok

joyboy123
01-31-2006, 03:41 PM
not picture loss

Just my 2 cents

Lots Of LOve

Lexi

damn, another deleted post. what the hell is goin on here

Don't feel bad, its not just you.
:evil: