PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Vista?

Ecstatic
01-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Just wondering what anybody thinks of Bill Gates' annoucements regarding Vista at the show in Lost Wages, what with the emphasis on security, media and all?

bananix
01-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I don't think I want to acquire Vista because it has some DRM and such. I think when I switch OS next it is probably some Linux distribution. Now I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM US but also have Gentoo linux distribution (http://www.gentoo.org/) installed but haven't booted to it for a long time.

Legend
01-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Vista is bloatedware like xp, i'll think i will pass on it.

brickcitybrother
01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I think is see all the great things in the Mac X OS - but taking up more memory and not a well executed.

Ecstatic
01-06-2006, 05:22 PM
IOW, par for the course for M$. Those are my assumptions as well. I currently run XP SP2 on my workstation and lapton, 2000 on another workstation, 98 on an old machine I just use for burning cd's, a Mac OS X (but only a lil ole iMac), and Linux on two servers. I haven't tried Linux on a PC, but on the servers it's awesome: rock solid, fast, efficient, easy to work on via command line or through a tool like webmin, and it keeps running and running and running. All versions of Windoze I've ever run, from 3.0 on, need to be rebooted frequently because of their lousy memory handling and all. OS X is great, but I think it's bloated, just in different ways to Windoze.

Neat program: Process Explorer by Sysinternals (http://www.sysinternals.com/). Find out what files, registry keys and other objects processes have open, which DLLs they have loaded, close handles left hanging by Windows, etc.

MoonAndStar
01-06-2006, 09:09 PM
i have been using Beta Builds of Vista/Longhorn for about 6 months now.... the latest one is Build 5270 and i have been using it for about a month now....

it is a very good looking OS.... on par with OSX.... but it has some really shity performance issues.... it might me pretty good on a computer with dual or quad processors but no good on a computer over 6 months old....

for sheer power and speed Linux cant be touched.....

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-07-2006, 01:19 AM

agreed but how many people out there will be willing to learn how to use Linux

with the DRM Microsoft is trying to force on us via Vista expect Mac sales to excel significantly in the future for people that are not fully computer literate

especially the ipod generation: why waste time with windows when they can buy an iMac and do all their ipod management right there on OS X

brickcitybrother
01-07-2006, 02:11 AM
Neat program: Process Explorer by Sysinternals (http://www.sysinternals.com/). Find out what files, registry keys and other objects processes have open, which DLLs they have loaded, close handles left hanging by Windows, etc.

No ... ESSENTIAL PROGRAM!!!!

IMO

Ecstatic
01-07-2006, 08:02 AM

No ... ESSENTIAL PROGRAM!!!!

IMO

Hey my program just got upgraded from Neat to
ESSENTIAL PROGRAM!!!!
And it is one of the most useful tools out there.

MoonAndStar
01-07-2006, 10:19 PM

agreed but how many people out there will be willing to learn how to use Linux

with the DRM Microsoft is trying to force on us via Vista expect Mac sales to excel significantly in the future for people that are not fully computer literate

especially the ipod generation: why waste time with windows when they can buy an iMac and do all their ipod management right there on OS X

indeed Linux is not for the masses yet.... better UI and a more user friendly interface is required....

as for Mac sales increasing i agree with you 100%... especialy with the new deal between Apple and Intel working together to produce a new range of Apple notebooks....

but Apple does have to work on a OS to compete with Windows Media Centre 2005.... the front row shit they provide is garbage.... Apple really needs to address this part of their product line.....

media centre pc's are the future....

;~)

DHaswood
01-09-2006, 06:01 AM
I think is see all the great things in the Mac X OS - but taking up more memory and not a well executed.

exactly.

They stole Aqua, the Dock, Widgets, Spotlight.

Now we can have a whole new collection of Windows viruses! Weeee!

Ecstatic
01-09-2006, 06:46 AM
indeed Linux is not for the masses yet.... better UI and a more user friendly interface is required....
Agreed. I love working with Linux on my servers, the UNIX command line in ssh alone is awesome, plus it's so fast and stable. But for design and most development work, I do want a good GUI and programs and shortcuts and all that I'm know inside and out (homesite, photoshop, dreamweaver, yadda yadda).