View Full Version : New Conan the Barbarian movie

theone1982
05-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Just saw the new Conan the Barbarian movie trailer. Looks interesting, but it's inevitably going to be compared to the original film with Arnold. So, what do you think will it be good, or crappy?
YouTube - ‪Conan the Barbarian (2011) - Full Official Movie Trailer‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxnt5MwLPAU)

dgs925
05-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Seems like all they make is remakes and reboots anymore. I'm sure it'll suck.

raybbaby
05-27-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm not gonna see it. Arnold's Conan would have crushed this guy.

The Turd
05-27-2011, 07:49 AM
I've been a fan of the barbaric one pretty much all my life. I first came to know the character through Arnold's movies. Then discovered "The Savage Sword of Conan" comic book. Eventually finding my way to the original works by Howard. And knowing the Conan mythology as I do I felt Arnold's movies were not true to Conan. Still, Arnold made Conan famous. Honestly, I can't see how this movie will be any good. Arnold was the very image of Conan. Anyone else falls short. The only way this movie would be worth seeing is if they actually follow Howard's mythology to the letter.

bladex76
05-27-2011, 07:55 AM
NO the same without the terminator but there is hope he had a son he could be the next conan

raybbaby
05-27-2011, 07:57 AM
After watching that trailer, I gotta say I hope this flops. Like big time. The original is a classic. I will stay home and watch it again the night this turd is unleashed on the public.

Q: What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

and that's all that needs to be said.

hard4janira
05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
That guy doesn't look like Conan, he looks like Fabio. The original Conan is a 2 hour epic (the sequel was silly, but the original was BALLS).

You KNOW that this remake is going to suck ass. It has to, Hollywood would fuck up a wet dream.

theone1982
05-27-2011, 08:06 AM
I've been a fan of the barbaric one pretty much all my life. I first came to know the character through Arnold's movies. Then discovered "The Savage Sword of Conan" comic book. Eventually finding my way to the original works by Howard. And knowing the Conan mythology as I do I felt Arnold's movies were not true to Conan. Still, Arnold made Conan famous. Honestly, I can't see how this movie will be any good. Arnold was the very image of Conan. Anyone else falls short. The only way this movie would be worth seeing is if they actually follow Howard's mythology to the letter.

That's pretty much my thoughts on it. The original is a classic, but this one has the potential to be more faithful to Howard's work. I've just recently been reading the original Howard Conan stories, and I really enjoy them. It's funny you mention the Savage Sword series too, because I just ordered volume 1 of the reprint series of Savage put out by Dark Horse, it looks pretty sweet.

The Turd
05-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I'd like it if the movie were based on one of Howard's stories. Plenty of them were great. As for Savage Sword I still have two huge boxes full of them. And never will I sell them. Also, how about the cover art? Some of the best artistis contributed to it.

theone1982
05-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I'd like it if the movie were based on one of Howard's stories. Plenty of them were great. As for Savage Sword I still have two huge boxes full of them. And never will I sell them. Also, how about the cover art? Some of the best artistis contributed to it.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I bought the collection, because of the art.

fred41
05-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey...that's the dude that plays Khal Drogo on HBO's "Game of Thrones"...I like that show..maybe I'll check this movie out too (or at least watch it on cable eventually).

giovanni_hotel
05-27-2011, 04:22 PM

If the producers went back to the Robert E. Howard original stories, there would be endless plot material for Conan movies.

Schartzenegger was iconic in the role, but I could see another actor capturing the essence of the character.

From the previews I've seen, this new guy lacks the presence of the pre-history warrior-king I used to read out back in the day.

CORVETTEDUDE
05-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Most likely not worth the entertainment dollar....,

Cuchulain
05-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Who knows, might be an ok action flick, but I don't see anything in that trailer that reminds me of Bob Howard's original Conan tales. That's a damn shame, because Howard, influenced by H.P. Lovecraft, wrote some really dark, amazing stuff. The Tower of the Elephant and The Frost Giant's Daughter come to mind. Even the 1960's L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter collaborations done to fill in Conan's life stayed fairly true to REH's original vision.

Khal Drogo and Conan? Is there only one guy in Hollywood now who can play a barbarian type?

fred41
05-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Who knows, might be an ok action flick, but I don't see anything in that trailer that reminds me of Bob Howard's original Conan tales. That's a damn shame, because Howard, influenced by H.P. Lovecraft, wrote some really dark, amazing stuff. The Tower of the Elephant and The Frost Giant's Daughter come to mind. Even the 1960's L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter collaborations done to fill in Conan's life stayed fairly true to REH's original vision.

Khal Drogo and Conan? Is there only one guy in Hollywood now who can play a barbarian type?

No...that's just the way Hollywood is...a few select people get most of the parts...that, and relatives of previous actors. Hollywood seems to have a very narrow minded view on who can play what part ...I willing to bet that they thought of Dwayne Johnson for the role first ..maybe he wanted too much money...maybe it would've looked too much like the Scorpion King all over again.

You don't need a great actor to play Conan - the character doesn't display all that many emotions...but you do need very strong charisma to make Conan believable..and he has to come across as a real hard ass too...
....something this new actor doesn't really seem to convey (neither does The Rock for that matter).

..still, movies like this only have to be fun, not brilliant.
...so it just might be - good enough.

...it's probably gonna suck...lol.

Teydyn
05-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Like most movies this day it might be a good action flick, but it most likely wont be epic...

fred41
05-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Like most movies this day it might be a good action flick, but it most likely wont be epic...

What's the last (latest) thing you saw that you would seriously consider "epic" ?
I appreciate the input...always looking for something new.

ILuvGurls
05-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Seems like all they make is remakes and reboots anymore. I'm sure it'll suck.

it seems sometimes that there is not a creative mind left in hollywood. it's the easy way out.

don't go tho the flicks near as much as i once did....simple reason there is nothing on that i want to see.......seems all they see fit to make are stupid comedy(remake of arthur) or stupid horror movies( remake of halloween).