PDA

View Full Version : Parents keep child's gender secret

Prospero
05-23-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/babies/article/995112--parents-keep-child-s-gender-a-secret

wondered what the transgendered here make of this?

Gillian
05-23-2011, 09:14 PM
I thought the gender "nature vs nurture" debate had already been sorted so I'm not really sure what those parents are trying to prove. All they may do is screw up their poor child's early life ...

dgs925
05-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Stupidest thing I've read today! Thanks, prospero, for the entertainment.

scroller
05-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Interesting, thanks for posting that.

Merkurie
05-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Sounds cool.

BigDF
05-26-2011, 07:00 PM
I thought the gender "nature vs nurture" debate had already been sorted so I'm not really sure what those parents are trying to prove. All they may do is screw up their poor child's early life ...I don't see how that is going to affect the child in this stage of its life. The only thing that the parents are obvious about is the idea that the child's gender is not something the rest of the world should be worried about. And I wouldn't be so sure that the nature vs nurture issue is all sorted out either. Have you by chance noticed what board you're posting this on?:)

trish
05-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I remember reading about a similar situation not so very long ago. The parents are obviously not thinking the child can choose its own gender at a later date. Rather they are thinking that children are introduced to their gender roles at an extremely early age...pretty much from hour one when they're either wrapped in a pink or a blue blanket. These influences can be insidious and their effects difficult to sort out. If we want to broaden the roles of men and women in our society, perhaps we shouldn't be narrowing them in childhood. Personally I think it's silly to think you can protect a child from these influences for very long. I wouldn't keep the child's gender from family and friends. But I would avoid encouraging or reinforcing gender roles and try to let the child develop them for her or himself at an appropriate pace. I think BigDF's comment is spot on at any age: a person's "gender is not something the rest of the world should be worried about."

dgs925
05-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I think BigDF's comment is spot on at any age: a person's "gender is not something the rest of the world should be worried about."

Right, but by not answering the question when people ask you draw even more attention to it. You don't have to dress your daughter up in frilly pink things, and you can return the uber gender-specific gifts that well-meaning friends give you (or donate them to the thrift store).

These parents are well-intentioned I am sure, but there is also an element where they just like to be different and stand out.

loveboof
05-26-2011, 09:52 PM
They're gonna fuck that kid up! Storm (and his brothers Jazz and Kio) have got some really pretentious, self-righteous parents. If they try so hard to make their child different, then he will be. But will that make his life easier, or any happier?

Why can't they just be understanding and kind if and when any gender identity issues arise?

CORVETTEDUDE
05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
There apparently is more than just a few people that aren't as smart as they look.:loser:

BigDF
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Right, but by not answering the question when people ask you draw even more attention to it. You don't have to dress your daughter up in frilly pink things, and you can return the uber gender-specific gifts that well-meaning friends give you (or donate them to the thrift store).

These parents are well-intentioned I am sure, but there is also an element where they just like to be different and stand out.

They're gonna fuck that kid up! Storm (and his brothers Jazz and Kio) have got some really pretentious, self-righteous parents. If they try so hard to make their child different, then he will be. But will that make his life easier, or any happier?

Why can't they just be understanding and kind if and when any gender identity issues arise?Perhaps the parents are trying to stand out, so what? Isn't it still their own business? I think we'd all be a lot better off if we took what they are doing at face value and worry about our own stuff and not whether these parents are doing the right thing for their child. Despite what everyone likes to think it's not really the parents' job to make a child's life happy or easy, but rather to see to it that the child is clothed, housed and fed. It would be nice if the child is also loved, but that is not really a legal responsibility.:geek:

loveboof
05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Perhaps the parents are trying to stand out, so what? Isn't it still their own business? I think we'd all be a lot better off if we took what they are doing at face value and worry about our own stuff and not whether these parents are doing the right thing for their child. Despite what everyone likes to think it's not really the parents' job to make a child's life happy or easy, but rather to see to it that the child is clothed, housed and fed. It would be nice if the child is also loved, but that is not really a legal responsibility.:geek:
I couldn't disagree more! lol

It is not just their business when they publicise their decision to the world. Even if they did not seek out publicity it would still involve the child.

And omg, I do not ever want to live in a world where parents only acknowledge a legal responsibilty over their children! What a disgusting thing to say...