PDA

View Full Version : Are You, CONSTANTLY, Thinking?

Nautica
04-26-2011, 08:37 AM
How do you get your mind to relax if it's having 9,000,023.2 thoughts per nanosecond? Some type of meditation? :???:

Nautica =^.^=

hippifried
04-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Pfffft! 9 million per nano's all you got?

Birgitta
04-26-2011, 02:09 PM
ritalin?

lol

Richctdude
04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I play video games or get drunk!!!!!!!!

Jericho
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Copious amounts of alcohol (and frequent visits to HA)l! :Shrug

GrimFusion
04-26-2011, 05:30 PM
I smoke a bowl and concentrate on some kind of artsy-fartsy project on my computer. If I'm not around weed or a PC, I find some kind of busy work and devote myself 110%.

SammiValentine
04-26-2011, 05:41 PM
i am constantly thinking...... unfortunately for me it is about Alan Partridge 24/7.

JURASSIC PARK!!!!!!

Jericho
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
i am constantly thinking...... unfortunately for me it is about Alan Partridge 24/7.

JURASSIC PARK!!!!!!

Scousers! :shrug
:tongue:

Merkurie
04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Sim racing F1 on my PC. Takes total concentration and occupies the mind.

maaarc
04-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Meditation can very successfully be used to quiet the mind - the benefits attached to a regular practice can be profound and life changing. If you are serious about your inquiry and have no experience with meditation, I suggest you take a look at the following videos. be well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhGmzAX-nA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xalkrsmG0vM

BellaBellucci
04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
I have the same problem. I just give my brain a massage. Occasionally, if it's good, it gets a happy ending.

~BB~

onmyknees
04-27-2011, 02:13 AM
I have the same problem. I just give my brain a massage. Occasionally, if it's good, it gets a happy ending.

~BB~

Hey Bella...what's up? How ya been?

BellaBellucci
04-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Hey Bella...what's up? How ya been?

Moody as all hell. You? Better I hope. :lol:

~BB~

onmyknees
04-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Moody as all hell. You? Better I hope. :lol:

~BB~

Nope...the same !! LMAO. You look good ...like the avatar xoxox:fuckin:

robertlouis
04-27-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm an acoustic artist, but when things get heavy, I plug in the telecaster and play grungy Neil Young stuff just loud enough not to get arrested.

Cinnamon Girl usually brings the cops.

theone1982
04-27-2011, 03:12 AM
Flog the dolphin.

Jericho
04-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Shit...That explains a lot! :shrug

dderek123
04-27-2011, 03:31 AM
Meditation works, but takes a lot of discipline.

Try this book. It's fucking awesome for learning how to properly meditate. It's like a how-to book that skips most of the spiritual jargon. And it's written by Sakyong Mipham who is the prince of shambhala buddhism. So he knows what he is talking about. Plus he was educated in America so he understands westerners better than most buddhist princes. I recommend it big time.
http://images.betterworldbooks.com/157/Turning-the-Mind-Into-an-Ally-9781573223454.jpg
Try pursuing a solid hobby. Like traveling, decorating your house, or modelling etc. I find that get's my mind off things. Having a nice peaceful holiday helps too.

Constantly being distracted isn't a good thing. It could be symptom of something else that is bothering you.

Jackal
04-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Try calming down, relaxing a bit, then doing whatever it is you feel is productive with your life. It may then be easier to concentrate.

Brandi Boots
04-27-2011, 05:47 AM
I have to say a nice glass of red wine or two and then a "pump" session (whatever kind, solo) usually is enough to make me wind down...

phobun
04-27-2011, 06:24 AM
flog the dolphin.

lol!

nicebrn
04-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Here's my trifecta of meditation guides:

-- Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh

-- Contemplative Prayer by Thomas Merton

-- Zen Catholicism by Dom Aelred Graham (not really a meditation guide per se, but very useful when constructing my personal belief system)

One of the more powerful beginning techniques my pastor taught me a few years ago (before I started getting serious about using this tool) was incredibly obvious in hindsight: instead of trying to control the million and one distracting thoughts, simply relax and ride the mindstream. Just become aware of and catalog each thought as it rises, then do the same with the next, and the next. Eventually you'll notice certain recurring patterns in your thought processes, which you can examine further in the future. Simple, but very effective in learning to become more self-aware.

Nivek
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Running or playing a musical instrument tends to divert my constant brain activity, although masturbation is always a great way to grind it down too.

Nautica
04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Sim racing F1 on my PC. Takes total concentration and occupies the mind.

Maybe I'll pop in the Ridge Racer!!!!

Meditation can very successfully be used to quiet the mind - the benefits attached to a regular practice can be profound and life changing. If you are serious about your inquiry and have no experience with meditation, I suggest you take a look at the following videos. be well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhGmzAX-nA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xalkrsmG0vM

Thanks! I'll look at those videos!

Meditation works, but takes a lot of discipline.

Try this book. It's fucking awesome for learning how to properly meditate. It's like a how-to book that skips most of the spiritual jargon. And it's written by Sakyong Mipham who is the prince of shambhala buddhism. So he knows what he is talking about. Plus he was educated in America so he understands westerners better than most buddhist princes. I recommend it big time.
http://images.betterworldbooks.com/157/Turning-the-Mind-Into-an-Ally-9781573223454.jpg
Try pursuing a solid hobby. Like traveling, decorating your house, or modelling etc. I find that get's my mind off things. Having a nice peaceful holiday helps too.

Constantly being distracted isn't a good thing. It could be symptom of something else that is bothering you.

WOW!!!!!!! You're like a psychic or something!!!!! :o I will see if I can find that book on cd or find some of his works on YouTube.

Try calming down, relaxing a bit, then doing whatever it is you feel is productive with your life. It may then be easier to concentrate.

True. I have many things that should've been done 'forever' ago. I will FORCE my self to get started and go step by step, starting TODAY!!!!!!!!

Here's my trifecta of meditation guides:

-- Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh

-- Contemplative Prayer by Thomas Merton

-- Zen Catholicism by Dom Aelred Graham (not really a meditation guide per se, but very useful when constructing my personal belief system)

One of the more powerful beginning techniques my pastor taught me a few years ago (before I started getting serious about using this tool) was incredibly obvious in hindsight: instead of trying to control the million and one distracting thoughts, simply relax and ride the mindstream. Just become aware of and catalog each thought as it rises, then do the same with the next, and the next. Eventually you'll notice certain recurring patterns in your thought processes, which you can examine further in the future. Simple, but very effective in learning to become more self-aware.

Ahh, thanks!!!! Sounds like that will help me in controlling habits that inhibit me.

dderek123
04-29-2011, 04:13 AM
WOW!!!!!!! You're like a psychic or something!!!!! :o I will see if I can find that book on cd or find some of his works on YouTube.

YouTube - how to meditate, Sakyong Mipham, Turning the Mind into an Ally: Teachings on Meditation 1 of 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SIiI49vicc)
YouTube - how to meditate, Sakyong Mipham, Turning the Mind into an Ally: Teachings on Meditation 2 of 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-lXqR8Awa0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)
YouTube - how to meditate, Sakyong Mipham, Turning the Mind into an Ally: Teachings on Meditation 3 of 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXSz_q8Xzec&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)

Just discovered these videos. Pretty much everything here is in the book as well.

But to boil it all down, meditating is basically focusing on something and concentrating on it. His style is to focus on your breathing (the feel, rhythm etc.). When your mind wanders from focusing on your breath you just do your best to stop being distracted and retrain your focus on the breath again. And you repeat this cycle in your mind over and over. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds!

Doing this develops your awareness and mindfulness. Two important things that are so important for a happy and effective life.

So that's it. No spiritual BS. No praying to the meditation ghosts. Meditating is a simple yet difficult practice that is for developing your Mind (Turning the mind into an ally -> title of the book).

From amazon:
Is the mind our enemy? It can be, suggests Shambhala International's director Mipham in his first book. The key to peaceful and sane living, says Mipham, is training our minds. Without that training, people live "at the mercy of our moods." Meditation is the tool that can help spiritual seekers master, rather than be mastered by, their own minds. This book blends a philosophically savvy explanation of why meditation is necessary with an artful and accessible introduction to the basics of meditation. Mipham moves elegantly from the prosaic (how to sit with a straight spine) to the profound (why one should bravely contemplate illness, aging and death). Indeed, those practicing spiritual disciplines from any tradition-Christian, Wiccan, and so forth-could benefit from Mipham's commonsense approach to meditation. He acknowledges, for example, that the tyro might get bored, distracted or even hungry for a cookie. New meditators are likely to find a million and one excuses for not meditating. But, says Mipham gently, "at some point you just have to sit down and do it." Mipham's guide is distinguished by its intelligible prose; unlike many fellow travelers, he does not drown his reader in jargon. He defines Buddhist basics, like "samsara" and "karma," clearly. Three useful appendices, outlining meditation postures and giving simple instructions for contemplation, round out the book, and a foreword by Pema Chodron is an added treat. This easy read is one of the best of the Buddhism-for-Westerners genre.

theone1982
04-29-2011, 04:17 AM
YouTube - how to meditate, Sakyong Mipham, Turning the Mind into an Ally: Teachings on Meditation 1 of 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SIiI49vicc)
YouTube - how to meditate, Sakyong Mipham, Turning the Mind into an Ally: Teachings on Meditation 2 of 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-lXqR8Awa0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)
YouTube - how to meditate, Sakyong Mipham, Turning the Mind into an Ally: Teachings on Meditation 3 of 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXSz_q8Xzec&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)

Just discovered these videos. Pretty much everything here is in the book as well.

But to boil it all down, meditating is basically focusing on something and concentrating on it. His style is to focus on your breathing (the feel, rhythm etc.). When your mind wanders from focusing on your breath you just do your best to stop being distracted and retrain your focus on the breath again. And you repeat this cycle in your mind over and over. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds!

Doing this develops your awareness and mindfulness. Two important things that are so important for a happy and effective life.

So that's it. No spiritual BS. No praying to the meditation ghosts. Meditating is a simple yet difficult practice that is for developing your Mind (Turning the mind into an ally -> title of the book).

From amazon:
Is the mind our enemy? It can be, suggests Shambhala International's director Mipham in his first book. The key to peaceful and sane living, says Mipham, is training our minds. Without that training, people live "at the mercy of our moods." Meditation is the tool that can help spiritual seekers master, rather than be mastered by, their own minds. This book blends a philosophically savvy explanation of why meditation is necessary with an artful and accessible introduction to the basics of meditation. Mipham moves elegantly from the prosaic (how to sit with a straight spine) to the profound (why one should bravely contemplate illness, aging and death). Indeed, those practicing spiritual disciplines from any tradition-Christian, Wiccan, and so forth-could benefit from Mipham's commonsense approach to meditation. He acknowledges, for example, that the tyro might get bored, distracted or even hungry for a cookie. New meditators are likely to find a million and one excuses for not meditating. But, says Mipham gently, "at some point you just have to sit down and do it." Mipham's guide is distinguished by its intelligible prose; unlike many fellow travelers, he does not drown his reader in jargon. He defines Buddhist basics, like "samsara" and "karma," clearly. Three useful appendices, outlining meditation postures and giving simple instructions for contemplation, round out the book, and a foreword by Pema Chodron is an added treat. This easy read is one of the best of the Buddhism-for-Westerners genre.

Thanks! I've been looking for something like this, but most books that I have looked at before regarding this topic seem like a movie where you just walked in half way through. Glad to see something that gets you in on the ground floor.

dderek123
04-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks! I've been looking for something like this, but most books that I have looked at before regarding this topic seem like a movie where you just walked in half way through. Glad to see something that gets you in on the ground floor.
No worries. I hope it helps. It really helped me through a rough spot.

In the book he explains that the enemy is how your mind tends to wander from one thought to the next. At one moment you're thinking about what's for dinner. The next you could be thinking about that one thread on HA that you want to check. And so on, so pretty soon you're mind is in a continuous loop of scattered thoughts. Which is pretty much the same thing as daydreaming but worse.

The book is like a self help for training your mind so it isn't prone from having scattered thoughts.

As per my post above when you think about it meditation can actually be many different things. Jogging can be a form of meditation. When you're jogging the mind needs to focus on your breathing, footwork, stride length, etc. If a jogger can't do all that he'll eventually run into a wall or trip over something.

So when you are jogging in an indirect way you are meditating at the same time. I feel like this especially when I am at the peek of my workout and I am so tired I am can only manage to focus on one foot in front of the other until I reach the finish. At that point I am definitely not thinking about random shit.

So it's like two birds with one stone. You get a workout and meditate. Your mind and body will be refreshed for the rest of the day.

dderek123
04-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Here is Sakyong's youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/officialsakyong

alyssaluxor
04-29-2011, 04:43 AM
OMG! I think this is the reason why i cant usually sleep at night! I just keep on thinking yummy COCKS on my mouth and ass!!! Grrr!

dderek123
04-29-2011, 04:47 AM
OMG! I think this is the reason why i cant usually sleep at night! I just keep on thinking yummy COCKS on my mouth and ass!!! Grrr!
LOL!

I love you alyssa. That was hilarious.

alyssaluxor
04-29-2011, 04:49 AM
LOL!

I love you alyssa. That was hilarious.

lol love you too sweetie baby

actually thats true before sleeping in bed i usually think and fantasize of a yummy cock in my mouth and ass, a guy fucking me so nicely uhmmm

am I weird or am I a true sex maniac lol

dderek123
04-29-2011, 04:59 AM
lol love you too sweetie baby

actually thats true before sleeping in bed i usually think and fantasize of a yummy cock in my mouth and ass, a guy fucking me so nicely uhmmm

am I weird or am I a true sex maniac lol
I think sex maniac. :)

Deimos
04-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Honestly? I rub one out...

Paladin
04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
I can NEVER get my mind to shut off and the dammned psycho police in the DOD won't friggin script me for lunesta, etc.

Works great in this line of work, but is hard on the sleep cycle.

alyssaluxor
04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
I think sex maniac. :)

FUCK me please *wink*

muh_muh
04-29-2011, 10:34 PM
hm i cant figure out if she has a problem switching off or just wanted to remind us of the awesomest movie scene of last year

Nautica
05-13-2011, 05:55 AM

From amazon:

Thanks! :) I am saving the videos to Real Player and putting the helpful notes in Wordpad!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

dderek123
05-13-2011, 06:36 AM
FUCK me please *wink*
Tempting, but no thanks. My girlfriend would cut my balls off. :ignore:

dderek123
05-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks! :) I am saving the videos to Real Player and putting the helpful notes in Wordpad!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

No worries. I love to help.