View Full Version : Job Application Form...

Bigguy
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
I haven't seen that but I haven't filled out a work application in a long time. I think its a good idea for people who doesn't exactly fit in the male/female box, including intersexed and those with neither sex.

On the other hand I don't think they should have to pick the "other" box if they don't want to.

Harrys Boy
12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
When i filled in a form for my college course it asked what your ethnic group was, i just ticked the box which said No Comment, its not as if its something that should matter.

BeardedOne
12-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Many years ago an anarchistic friend of mine applied for a position at the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (DMV). On the application was a section that asked race, ethnicity, gender, etc. followed by the canned disclaimer that this information was just for demographic purposes and would have nothing to do with qualifying/disqualifying the applicant via affirmative action, blah, blah, blah.

My friend, tall, white, male, Irish, etc., checked off the complete shopping list of minority choices and whatever "Other" boxes he could add. It came out something like black, half-Chinese-half-Namibian, orthodox Jewish, amputee, green party resistered voter, dyslexic, transsexual, lesbian midget (OK, did that list sufficiently offend everyone?).

A few days later he was called in to an interview. Instead of the usual person-behind-a-desk routine, he found himself face to face with a =panel= of interviewers who, from their obvious discomfort on first seeing him, could not reveal that they had called him in =specifically= to push him to the top of the list due to his =exceptional= "minority" status.

Even though we all know that such information wasn't to be used for that purpose. Heh. :lol: Oddly, he didn't get the job. The reason was never made clear, but I'm sure there is a rubber stamp on his application that reads "Big fat liar!". :shock: I think he ran for public office after that. 8)

brickcitybrother
12-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Don't look at that in the negative just yet. Perhaps providing such information up front would protect an employee later. Though the discrimination that exists against all kinds of people is another issue (that the application may not be helping).

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-07-2005, 02:10 AM
I use to do retail back when i lived in the midwest. And back when I was applying for jobs you are always asked to check what gender you are and also wether your caucasian, african american, pacific islander so forth and so on.

I would always put "T" to sex/gender. Then when I submit the application they get back to me asking what it meant. I said Im a Transexual. And they just say "Oh, ok". Then I get the job anyways.

And as brickcitybrother said in his comments..providing it upfront would help protect both the employee/employer in the long run. Otherwise, especially if its management positions..One can get fired from lying about his/her gender.

I mean there are laws now to protecting transexuals from discrimination in the workforce but not all states have adopted it.

~Kisses.

HTG

Roadblock7611
12-07-2005, 02:14 AM
At least its being adressed. Here where I live I dont think i have ever seen anything like that at all on an application. theres only one corperation that is tg friendly and other than that teh only place a tg could get a job would be a gay bar. Having companies that care enough to even address it on an application would be a step in the right direction i would believe