PDA

View Full Version : Protected CD's?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-15-2005, 12:36 PM
'Protected' CDs raise ruckus, prompt suits
By: Charlie Moran - The Daily Iowan
Issue date: 11/14/05 Section: Metro

When UI freshman Jake Schumer bought Trey Anastasio's new album, Shine, two weeks ago, he had no idea the disc might contain more than playful psychedelic pop songs. But, buried within the ones and zeroes of musical data lurked a copy-protection system, Extended Copy Protection, that not only prevented Schumer from importing the songs onto his iPod, it also may have put his computer at the mercy of hackers.

Schumer's CD is one of 2 million Sony BMG has outfitted with the copy protection, which has already triggered a two-week squall of media attention, consumer outrage, lawsuits, an international investigation, and the spread of two Internet worms. Sony BMG reluctantly pulled the plug on its protection scheme on Nov. 11; while not directly accepting fault for security vulnerabilities, the company acknowledged a computer virus circulating that "may affect computers" with the software.

Jason Alexander, senior security analyst for UI Information Technology Services, said the software makes Windows users susceptible to identity theft and computers vulnerable to "a gauntlet of malicious software." The copy-protection software is difficult for students to install on ITC computers, but privately owned machines are prone to hacker hijacking.

Since March, Sony BMG has implemented the protection scheme into 20 albums, including new releases from Neil Diamond and Our Lady Peace. With the software, consumers may only rip songs to a digital copy-protected format, burn three CD copies of any one album, and transfer music to compatible MP3 players - iPods excluded.

The protected CDs sound garbled when played in Windows Media Player and iTunes. Users may only listen to music on their computer after agreeing to use the bundled Media Player. When run for the first time, the player permanently installs a "rootkit" into Windows, a kind of spyware used by hackers and cyber-extortionists to access a computer while hiding traces of the software.

Sony avoids using the word "rootkit" and states on its website, "The protection software simply acts to prevent unlimited copying and ripping from discs featuring this protection solution. It is otherwise inactive."

Douglas Jones, a UI associate professor of computer science, disagrees. He said the rootkit provides "unlimited access to a system" and a cloaking device that can be used by destructive programs as an "umbrella to hide and sneak in the door."

On Nov. 12, Microsoft announced that future updates of its AntiSpyware software would remove Sony's rootkit.

"We recommend rebuilding the system," Alexander said about those machines plagued by rootkits. "It's the only 100 percent sure way."

With a class-action lawsuit against Sony pending in California and a nationwide suit expected Wednesday, the company's headache over rootkits and the Extend Copy Protection will probably continue into the near future.

The Recording Industry Association of America estimates that the music industry loses $4.2 billion a year worldwide to piracy. And both Sony and EMI currently produce non-Extended Copy Protection CDs in limited numbers to deter "casual piracy." Frustrated music listeners such as Schumer who own the protected CDs believe they should be able to transfer music to their iPods and not be made vulnerable when they legally purchase music.

"I feel the reason they did this was because people were stealing music," Schumer said. "I'm not stealing; I'm giving them money."

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-15-2005, 12:52 PM
While I agree with you partially, I have to admit I am waiting until '07 for my PS3 patiently

ARMANIXXX
11-15-2005, 01:13 PM
yeah,

But playstation is gonna be better.

MacShreach
11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
I have been a performing musician since I was at school. From time to time it has even been my major source of income. I also make money from photography and writing. So believe me I absolutely support the need for creative people to be properly rewarded for their efforts and not have their product stolen.

But Sony have got this whole thing completely arse for tit and what is worse, they have been told so, repeatedly, since they first mooted the idea. And now it's going to cost them. I don't really care whether the Sony Corporation is out a few million, but the standard response of a "major" to financial adversity is to cut investment in new artists. Not so good.

slinky
11-16-2005, 05:18 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about gun toting TV's.

BlackAdder
11-16-2005, 05:49 AM
Just be aware that video game publishers are doing the same thing to some games...

When you install the game it also installs a program that sniffs out what type of devices your using on your system and in some cases it wont let you use them, or even damage them in some reports ive read.

Im mostly talking about the controversial Copy protection scheme, Starforce, which does indeed leave your system vulnerable to hacking, as its an active monitoring device.

Any game that uses the Starforce protection scheme should be banned by end users!!!! Im so happy that this lawsuit is against Sony, and I hope the class action guys win big because it means the next lawsuit will target the publishers who put these invasive programs onto peoples computers. People arent even being told about what the "game" is installing!!!!!!

brickcitybrother
11-17-2005, 03:35 AM
JWBL - You are on point with this. It gets worse... the 'Uninstall kit' will allow viruses into your system as bad as the original 'rootkit' Its bad and there more the just the 20 CDs Sony likes to discuss. Its over 50 at last count.

Here's a link as to one issue. But there are too many to list.

http://news.com.com/Attack+targets+Sony+rootkit+fix/2100-7349_3-5956707.html

fishman33
11-17-2005, 03:39 AM
While I agree with you partially, I have to admit I am waiting until '07 for my PS3 patiently

'07, what the fuck? I thought it was due out around this May???

yo, what happened to the boondocks avatar? Love that show.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Sony BMG Faces Class Action Lawsuit

Posted Nov 22, 2005, 10:21 AM ET

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a San Francisco consumer group, and the Texas attorney general have filed a lawsuit against Sony BMG Music Entertainment.

Consumer groups filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday, claiming that Sony BMG Music Entertainment software embedded on some of its compact discs is actually spying on consumers.

The copyrighted music software, which Sony says is needed to copyright music has also made computers vulnerable to hacker attacks and viruses.

Last week, Sony BMG recalled CDs by 50 artists with the vulnerability earlier this month, but the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the Texas attorney general said the company did not go far enough.

The consumer group said about 24 million CDs with the software were distributed. The CDs not only made computers vulnerable to viruses, they contained "phone home" software that reported back to Sony how often the CDs were played.

In its suit, the group makes four main demands: 1) Sony should give consumers refunds, instead of merely exchanging the discs; 2) Sony should conduct a marketing campaign to inform consumers of the problems; 3) Sony should rewrite its licensing agreements, which at this point do not disclose some of the discs' features; 4) And Sony should give consumers the ability to take the software off their computers, which they are now unable to do.

The Texas lawsuit alleges that Sony BMG, the world's second-largest music company, broke a new state law protecting consumers from spyware, which covertly gathers user information through software hidden in the computer, according to Bloomberg News.

Although California has some of the toughest anti-spyware laws in the country, Attorney General Bill Lockyer does not have any action pending against Sony, a
spokesman said.

The music industry has endured several years of turmoil thanks to changes in technology. As music has gone digital, computers have enabled people not only to play their CDs but also to copy songs off them onto their hard drives and onto portable music players like the Apple iPod.

The industry blames file sharing and piracy for a drop in sales, and often battles those threats with lawsuits. This time, Sony is using technology. The chief technology at issue is known as XCP. In a letter to the consumer group, Sony attorney Jeffrey Cunard said the company has stopped making discs with XCP software and asked retailers to stop selling them. It is exchanging the discs for XCP-free versions, and making similar clean versions available online.

bottomline Sony screwed themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
expect to see thousands of customers given free playstation 2's and walkman cellphones

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
1 or 2 years old, lol

NickTheQuick
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Shady motherfuckers.....

Full List
http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html

DD Philly
03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey I know this is an old thread, but I just received an e-mail referencing a class-action lawsuit currently being lodged against SonyBMG. I thought it might help some of the fellow board members. There's a link to the list of CDs affected. Good luck.

***IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE/SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTICE***PLEASE READ*** (Please do not
respond to this email. Responses will not be read.)

If You Bought, Received or Used a SONY BMG Music Entertainment CD Containing
Either XCP or Media Max Content Protection Software, Your Rights May Be Affected
By a Class Action Settlement, And You Should Download Updates For That Software.

What is this about?

A settlement has been proposed in a lawsuit brought against SONY BMG Music
Entertainment, Inc., SunnComm International Inc., and First 4 Internet, Ltd.
("Defendants"). The lawsuit, In re SONY BMG CD Technologies Litigation, Case
No. 1:05-cv-09575-NRB, is pending in the United States District Court for the
Southern District of New York and relates to XCP and MediaMax content protection
software installed on certain SONY BMG music CDs.

The Settlement resolves claims that the Defendants manufactured and sold CDs
containing XCP and MediaMax software without adequately disclosing the
limitations the software imposes on the use of the CDs and the security
vulnerabilities it creates. The Defendants have denied that they did anything
wrong.

Who Is Included, And What Does The Settlement Provide?

The settlement provides relief for persons who bought, received or used SONY BMG
CDs with either XCP or MediaMax software. Under the settlement, any person in
possession of an XCP CD can exchange it for a replacement CD, an MP3 download of
the same album, and either (a) cash payment of $7.50 and one (1) free album
download from a list of 200 albums, or (b) three (3) free album downloads from
that list.
Purchasers of CDs containing MediaMax 5.0 software will receive a free
MP3 download of the same album and one (1) additional free album download.
Purchasers of CDs containing MediaMax 3.0 software will receive a free MP3
download of the same album.

The settlement also requires the Defendants to stop manufacturing SONY BMG CDs
with XCP or MediaMax 3.0 and 5.0 software and, until 2008: (1) make available
updates to fix all known security vulnerabilities caused by XCP and MediaMax
software; (2) provide software programs to uninstall XCP and MediaMax software
safely; (3) fix any future security vulnerabilities discovered in MediaMax and
any other content protection software placed on SONY BMG CDs; (4) provide
independent verification that personal information about users of SONY BMG CDs
has not and will not be collected through XCP or MediaMax; (5) waive certain
provisions of the end user license agreements for XCP and MediaMax software; and
(6) ensure that any other content protection software will be clearly disclosed,
independently tested and readily uninstalled.

At 9:15a.m. on May 22, 2006, the Court will hold a hearing at the United States
District Court, Daniel Patrick Moynihan United States Courthouse, 500 Pearl
Street, Courtroom 21A, New York, New York 10007-1312, to decide whether to
approve the settlement and the class attorneys' fees and costs.

How Do I Participate In The Settlement?
If you bought or received a SONY BMG Music CD containing XCP or MediaMax
software and want to receive the relief you may be eligible for under the
settlement, you must submit an online claim form at www.sonybmgcdtechsettlement.com,
or mail a claim form to:

SONY BMG CD Technologies Settlement
P.O. Box 1804, Faribault, MN 55021-1804

All claim forms must be submitted by December 31, 2006.

What Are My Other Options?

If you bought, received or used a SONY BMG Music CD containing XCP or MediaMax
software, and you do not want to be legally bound by the settlement or receive a
replacement CD, cash, free downloads or other relief, you must exclude yourself
by May 1, 2006. If you do not exclude yourself, certain of your claims against
the Defendants that were or could have been asserted in the lawsuit will be
released, meaning you may not be able to sue the Defendants for those claims.
To view the detailed legal Notice of Proposed Class Action Settlement, Motion
for Attorneys' Fees and Settlement Fairness Hearing and to download the software
updates, visit www.sonybmgcdtechsettlement.com.
You may obtain further information by contacting the claims administrator at the
address above or by calling toll free 1-800-242-7610.