PDA

View Full Version : What is your best watch or what is the best watches

bladex76
06-12-2010, 04:22 AM
im on the market for a new watch mine just broke i got it 5 years ago... any advice as what is the best i want to buy something that will last me for a long time THANK YOU

chelchel
06-12-2010, 05:15 AM
oh man dont get me started lol

chelchel
06-12-2010, 05:23 AM
http://www.myspace.com/jamie360fawawee-f1

my collection can be seen here under jamies jewels .... this is what i do for a living :)

heres my latest AP panda ..

trish
06-12-2010, 05:23 AM
I've noticed that very few of my friends wear a watch. Neither do I for that matter. It seems watches being supplanted by cell phones...a kind of invasion of the body snatchers thing.

Willie Escalade
06-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Three out of the four best watches I have.

The gold one is a Seiko 5 Driver Sport..fully automatic. $200

The silver one is a Breitling for Bentley LeMans Speed 8. Don't know how much it cost; it was a gift.

The one with the leather band is an A. Lange & Sohne Glashutte 1/SA. Another one I don't know the price of since it was also a gift.

I also have a vintage Rolex Oyster Perpetual from the 1940s...but that one's in the vault.

chelchel
06-12-2010, 05:31 AM
whats ur budget? theres alot of nice durable watches out there.. i personally like panerai watches there durable and gorgeous pieces.. but carry a hefty price tag 4k upwards... baller on a budget :) ? then i suggest a welder watch they start at $500+, or a uboat $1000+ range.. , i rec these cus it seems like u want something big...

celticgrafix
06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
tag watches

bladex76
06-12-2010, 07:49 AM
lol you are right trish alot of my friends they dont own watches because they have cell phones im just oldschool i guess lol i like the way they look and wow willie thas a nice collection

ebonreaver
06-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I have a Tiffany and Co. watch I am very fond of.

bladex76
06-12-2010, 07:57 AM
whats ur budget? theres alot of nice durable watches out there.. i personally like panerai watches there durable and gorgeous pieces.. but carry a hefty price tag 4k upwards... baller on a budget :) ? then i suggest a welder watch they start at $500+, or a uboat $1000+ range.. , i rec these cus it seems like u want something big...
ok thas a super cool collection you have nice watches chelchel :Bowdown: i only want one from $300 to $700 something that will last for 5 years.. i like the g series... the one you have super nice i dare to ask how much you paid for it ??

chelchel
06-12-2010, 08:03 AM
those are like 3200 my cost , they retail around 5k.. but they dont break :) time for bed 99

chelchel
06-12-2010, 08:03 AM
watchismo, they have kool watches all price ranges ;)

Caff_Racer
06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
@ Willie Escalade: nice collection, mate!

@ Bladex76: Unless you're looking for a special timepiece that you'll only wear on special occasions, I'd recommend that you find a cheap but decent-looking watch. That way if you lose it/have it stolen/break it, you won't be pissed off, and your bank account won't go into cardiac arrest.

I have some cheapo thing that I picked up in Decathlon (a European chain of sports shops) for 20 Euros. I also have a Casio Pro-Trek thermometer/barometer/altimeter hiking watch that I found in a friend's bar after closing time while we were cleaning up. Finally I have a vintage Breitling Navitimer that was bequeathed to me by my grandfather. It needs a full overhaul but as: a) said overhaul will probably cost a small fortune (and I'm skint), and b) I have no proof of ownership and I have a general physical aspect that won't get me buzzed into an upscale jeweller's here in Barcelona (they're more likely to call the Filth :lol: ), the Breitling will remain unrepaired on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

That said, I hardly wear watches because I find it uncomfortable under a motorcycle jacket and gloves (I have a wee clock on the handlebars instead!)...

bat1
06-12-2010, 07:55 PM
my watch the Omega speedmaster first watch on the MOON back in 1969:Bowdown:

zip84121
06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
i have this watch Amazon.com: Swiss Army Men's Officer's 1884 Watch #24727: Swiss…@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4174nvoZ6SL.@@AMEPARAM@@4174nvoZ6SL (http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Army-Officers-Watch-24727/dp/B000GGVA1G)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4174nvoZ6SL._SS500_.jpg

i have had the watch for almost 15 years. its pretty beat up, but very durable. also if i want it to look like new every few years i will take it to a jeweler and have them buff and polish it. i paid 495 for it.

tag makes very nice watches, and if you want to go top of the line, then patek philippe is the way to go.. but they are $$$$$$$$

ohioguy13
06-12-2010, 09:26 PM
tough to beat rolex its still the standard

Caff_Racer
06-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Quite frankly I think that Rolexes are highly overrated. My parents both have Rolexes and I've noticed that they are watches that don't hold their time very well: they are always between five and 15 minutes fast. In my book that's unacceptable for a watch in that price range.

CaptainPlanet
06-12-2010, 11:31 PM
When the light hit the ice it Twinkle and Glisten.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2821225584_a343717423.jpg

HotRats
06-13-2010, 01:02 AM
If you want big and butch you can't beat Panerai, I have a PAM 236 and you don't forget you're wearing one of those. I also have several Tag Heuers and Omegas. The co-axial Seamaster is a favourite along with the limited Snoopy Speedmaster. If you like quality tank watches nothing beats Cartier in my opinion. For real value for money you can't beat Junghans. A lot of their best models are discontinued but can be found in some retailers, the ceramic Stratos is very nice thin dress watch on either a ceramic or PVD bracelet and the Mega was available as a lightweight titanium model. Best of all they receive a signal from an atomic clock and never need setting

shqiptare
06-13-2010, 02:03 PM
a $9000 longines from the 80s

LibertyHarkness
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM
i still have a couple of my old male watches from when i worked in the city ..

Movado Vizio

GhostInNYC
06-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Rado Ceramica (or any ceramic Rado)

I've been wearing this watch every day for about 10 years and it still looks brand new. The face is scrachproof saphire and the body and band is ceramic which is about 99% scratchproof. Digital alarms, timers, dual zone, etc. I shower and swim with it, never a problem. Only down side (not really) is you must take it to a Rado service center to get the battey changed and there are only 2 or 3 in the entire NY/NJ/CT area. Battery lasts 3-4 years.

They start at about $1800, but this watch can take some serious abuse and still look new. Unless you lose it or run it over with your car, you'll probably be buried with it, and it'll still look great (which is probably a lot better than you will)

BeardedOne
06-13-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm not much for jewelry and faddy gadgets (I was just today bemoaning the fact that many hotels no longer have pay phones in their lobbies, as I don't have a cell phone) so I haven't worn a watch in ages.

But drancy fess needs appropriate accessories, so I went shopping for a nice old railway watch and found a nice Hampden open-face pocket watch that was offered by a former Hampden employee on eBay.

Similar to the image below (But with a gold finish), it is a true work of art. Manufactured sometime around 1918-20 it has endured many decades of service. The works under the back cover are even more impressive, with finely turned interior plates and engraving from an age when the mechanics and craftsmanship were as much an item of pride as the finished work itself.

It's a delicate watch, and it is not waterproof or shock resistant. It was never intended to be tossed about or drowned. It's still tougher than one might expect. In the few short years that I have owned it I've bounced it on a ballroom floor in Toronto and banged its face against a stanchion ball on a San Francisco cable car and it soldiered on with only minor injuries. According to the license numbers etched in the back cover, it's only been serviced four times in its history. This is the kind of watch that has to go in hospital for a month of adjustments if it gets dropped. I've replaced the crystal twice, due to catastrophic circumstance, but have otherwise had extraordinary luck with it.

A couple of the gurls can attest to this: I love to show off this incredible piece of craftsmanship. I often take the back cover off so that people can see the workmanship that went into these tools of another century. It's fascinating to watch the wheels and gears do their dance. (Edit: I found a pic of a Hampden interior that is very close to my own in SN)

And on a quiet night, the tinny tinktinktink can be heard from across the room and helps me sleep. :)