View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio passes away today at 67

Norma
05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Ronnie James Dio , singer for Elf , Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and Dio, passed away today at 7:45 a.m. after a battle with stomach cancer.

My favorite singer ever. He will be missed :(

Dino Velvet
05-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Feels like I lost a member of my family. I'm a big fan of Rainbow, Sabbath, and his solo work. Dio loved his fans. RIP Ronnie

http://www.elsercho.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dio1.jpg

CORVETTEDUDE
05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
BUT, Rock 'N' Roll will never die!!!

Coroner
05-17-2010, 12:14 AM
R.I.P. Dio. But he had a long and great life to look back.

rockabilly
05-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Throw up the horns for Dio!

R.I.P.

fred41
05-17-2010, 12:38 AM
:sadcry his music played a big part in my life...R.I.P. Ronnie...

Dino Velvet
05-17-2010, 12:39 AM
During my high school days, me and my dorky metalhead stoner friends would always have the Black Sabbath - Live Evil cassette tape in the car stereo playing full blast while we butchered every song singing along.

http://www.dio.net/pictures_cd/live_evil_front_big.jpg

slinky
05-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I was in the music business, and worked the scene Ronnie sort of "sprung" from: the Ithaca/Auburn/Corning/etc. area was a hotbed of Metal in the late 70's / early 80's. I saw Dio with Elf ( after Ronnie's ?cousin? David Feinstein quit and formed The Rods and then went on to produce and/or manage a number of bands from that area/scene/time period/etc.). I worked with a number of those groups, including a substantial amount of time with a group which never quite made it (Bible Black) even though it was made up of some very talented guys - Graig Gruber, bassist,and Gary Driscoll, drummer were with Richie Blackmoore's Rainbow for the debut album, when the band was pretty much Elf with Blackmore departing from Deep Purple and replacing Steve Edwards, but Blackmore didn't like Driscoll and Gruber, so he sacked them pretty quickly; Duck MacDonald who replaced Ross the Boss from Shakin' Street when he quit to join Manowar, but was more known for his work with the Dictators; Duck went on to play with Blue Cheer ;and singer Jeff Fenholt who was known for his work playing Jesus in Jesus Christ, Superstar as well as some controversial claims of working with Black Sabbath - boy was everything so incestuous in that scene ).

I remember when This Is Spinal Tap came out (which I still think is hilarious), but almost every single member of all those bands hated because they couldn't see the comedy because all of the "crazy" things actually happened. I think The Rods even tried to hire an attorney to sue because it was an unauthorized biography of them (and if you've seen that movie, it tells you how nuts all those guys really were).

A lot of those guys were really weird/creepy and though I really didn't know Ronnie much at all, in the back of my head I'm remembering he was one that fell in that category. but you still gotta give major props to anyone who can remotely pull of replacing Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath.

Jericho
05-17-2010, 02:03 AM
RIP.
Ride the tiger.

DJ_Asia
05-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Great singer,a major loss for the world of music

DJ_Asia
05-17-2010, 02:56 AM
a great voice.
The world of music losses another major talent
R.I.P. RJD

morim
05-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Onore a Ronnie James Dio.
Il primo e miglior cantante dei "Blackmore's Rainbow".
LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!!!!!!!!!

TSLoverUK999
05-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Gutted, all the reports I had seen said he was on the mend ! I had a ticket to see him in Novemeber just gone, wish I hadn't sent it back for a refund now :o(