PDA

View Full Version : Cyndi Lauper opening shelter for LGBT youth

tstishadupree
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Singer/songwriter/icon Cyndi Lauper has announced plans to open a shelter for LGBT youth in New York city, according to PinkNews.

Lauper said the shelter will be for LGBT youth, ages 18-24 who have been disowned by their families because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

In a statement about the shelter, Lauper said: “”Kids are coming out in greater numbers as they see themselves accepted and represented on TV and in movies, but they’re still being kicked out of their homes or running away and living on the streets. We need to make sure we’re taking care of them.”

PinkNews says the shelter will have 30 rooms, a library, a computer room and communal space.

rockabilly
04-07-2010, 10:34 PM
She's such a wonderful woman.

Silcc69
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Thought Madonna or Cher would do something liek this or even Lady GaGa.

Gouki
07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
http://popdust.com/2012/06/25/cyndi-lauper-gay-pride-nyc-2012/ always loved Cyndi and probably always will, such class :)

Prospero
07-09-2012, 04:11 PM
And I thought that girls just wanna have fun....

bimale69
07-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Sounds good! Kudos to celebrities like Cyndi, Lady Gaga and others who have the guts to stand up for LGBT youth. Personally, i think any parent who disowns their own child and sends him or her out into the street to starve just for coming out needs to be arrested and severely punished for reckless endangerment of a child.

Gouki
07-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Sounds good! Kudos to celebrities like Cyndi, Lady Gaga and others who have the guts to stand up for LGBT youth. Personally, i think any parent who disowns their own child and sends him or her out into the street to starve just for coming out needs to be arrested and severely punished for reckless endangerment of a child.

sadly this still happens all too often and not just for "coming out" but for a variety of other reasons such as choice of career, religion, spouse choice....its a shame that such ignorance still prevails in society

Ecstatic
07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Lauper has a very long standing history of supporting LGBT rights; kudos to her for this strong move.

buttslinger
07-10-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm opening up a shelter for girls 16-18.