View Full Version : Lawyer Wants Record Labels To Get Tough On Rappers!

Silcc69
08-23-2009, 07:57 PM
The top lawyer who put rapper Remy Ma behind bars is calling on record company executives to insert a "morality clause" in artist contracts in a bid to crack down on violence in the industry.

Lauren Raysor plans to mark the second anniversary of the shooting of her client, Makeda Barnes-Joseph, at the hands of Remy Ma by publicly proposing new rules for record labels.

Raysor, a leading New York civil rights attorney, will be joined by Nicole Bailey, the principal of The Learning Tree Multi-Cultural School, at a press conference in New York on Monday (August 24).

A spokesman for the attorney says, "Lauren P. Raysor is asking all record companies to insert a 'morality clause' in their contracts with all artists - not just rap and hip-hop artists - as a way to show them there are consequences for their actions.

"Ms. Raysor will have visuals explaining what the morality clause entails, as well as a 12-foot-long timeline chronicling violent incidents involving rap and hip-hop artists."

Remy Ma is currently serving an eight-year prison sentence after she was convicted of assault, illegal weapon possession and attempted coercion in connection with charges of shooting Barnes-Joseph

http://www.sixshot.com/articles/14373/

SarahG
08-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Yet another reason why people should ditch the RIAA and go independent.

T-girl hound
08-24-2009, 01:16 AM
it will never happen, the bigger the bafoon the bigger the money

buckjohnson
08-24-2009, 02:45 AM
How about putting "talent" in the talent contract.

This Remy situation is under the rader, first I herad about it.

Legal wise it would be difficult to enforce a "morality clause" into a contract, esp legal activites. They will also have problems enforcing morality clause when so much of the lyrical content is immoral and the actions describe are illegal.

What I always wondered is how come Italians singers like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra never sang about the Mafia and other criminal actvities Italians participated in, but black rappers speak often about their and other's criminal activities.

Finally, I wonder if Malcolm and Martin were alive and if the Black Panthers were around if hip hop would have developed so unethically and immoral. But I sometimes doubt if the rappers would have responded.
I remember watching a rap video and it depicted drug sales on Malcolm X BLVD. I also watch a video one time called "hood rats" describing young black females. This latter was so horrific I called my cable company to cancel cable and called BET, which showed the video.

sugdaddie69
08-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Roxanne had a clause in her contract that required her label to pay for her education---for a lifetime.She just got her PHD.The label ended up paying almost 300,00 dollars..smart girl--great clause.

sugdaddie69
08-24-2009, 03:19 AM
8)

Kabuki
08-24-2009, 03:34 AM
The record companies control what comes out. Just talk to anyonewho really knows the business. They pay radio stations and music stations to play certain music. That's why both outlets are so horrible now days.

As for Remy Ma, her lyrics didn't make her violent. She was a violent individual.

Kabuki
08-24-2009, 03:34 AM
The record companies control what comes out. Just talk to anyonewho really knows the business. They pay radio stations and music stations to play certain music. That's why both outlets are so horrible now days.

As for Remy Ma, her lyrics didn't make her violent. She was a violent individual.

peggygee
08-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Roxanne had a clause in her contract that required her label to pay for her education---for a lifetime.She just got her PHD.The label ended up paying almost 300,00 dollars..smart girl--great clause.

Had to check which Roxanne you meant, as there wer so many of them
back in the day, and it was Roxanne Shante.

LIFE AFTER ROCK… ROXANNE SHANTE…

THE HIP-HOP PIONEER’S ROCKY ROAD FROM DIS TRACK TO PH.D. AND ICE CREAM ENTREPRENEUR

“I started rapping when I was 14, when Marley Marl asked me to record ‘Roxanne’s Revenge’, a dis on U.T.F.O.’s hit ‘Roxanne, Roxanne’. We lived in the Queensbridge projects, and he promised me Sergio Valente jeans to record with him. I never got the jeans, but the song was an overnight hit. After that, I went on tour for three years as a naive child. I had a baby [now in his 20s] with a man 18 years my senior. I didn’t even have milk money for my baby, but I raised him. Today, I wonder where the adults were.”

“By 25, I’d quit music and enrolled at Marymount Manhattan College. I remembered a clause in my record contract that said Warner would pay for my education for life. I got a master’s from Cornell, went back to Marymount and became Dr. Roxanne Shante. I also financed Hip Hop Ices in Queens, Philadelphia and Atlanta, which are ice cream stores that hire only kids with police records. The best dish is the Roxanne— it’s Rocky Road with a chocolate topping.”

http://mp3stone.org/?p=3

8)

addicted
08-24-2009, 04:52 AM
How about corrupt lawyers, politicians and wallstreet? I am sure if this topic was brought up to this idiot he would be silent. There vile lawyers are so concerned with lyrics but not concerned about actions from their fellow lawyers.

Jericho
08-24-2009, 05:26 AM
The top lawyer who put rapper Remy Ma behind bars is calling on record company executives to insert a "morality clause" in artist contracts in a bid to crack down on violence in the industry.

Rock'N'Roll! :rock2

sugdaddie69
08-24-2009, 05:45 AM

Had to check which Roxanne you meant, as there wer so many of them
back in the day, and it was Roxanne Shante.

LIFE AFTER ROCK… ROXANNE SHANTE…

THE HIP-HOP PIONEER’S ROCKY ROAD FROM DIS TRACK TO PH.D. AND ICE CREAM ENTREPRENEUR

“I started rapping when I was 14, when Marley Marl asked me to record ‘Roxanne’s Revenge’, a dis on U.T.F.O.’s hit ‘Roxanne, Roxanne’. We lived in the Queensbridge projects, and he promised me Sergio Valente jeans to record with him. I never got the jeans, but the song was an overnight hit. After that, I went on tour for three years as a naive child. I had a baby [now in his 20s] with a man 18 years my senior. I didn’t even have milk money for my baby, but I raised him. Today, I wonder where the adults were.”

“By 25, I’d quit music and enrolled at Marymount Manhattan College. I remembered a clause in my record contract that said Warner would pay for my education for life. I got a master’s from Cornell, went back to Marymount and became Dr. Roxanne Shante. I also financed Hip Hop Ices in Queens, Philadelphia and Atlanta, which are ice cream stores that hire only kids with police records. The best dish is the Roxanne— it’s Rocky Road with a chocolate topping.”

http://mp3stone.org/?p=3

8)
:peanutbutter

Silcc69
08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
LOL at addicted