PDA

View Full Version : Rome...................................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
10-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Anyone else watch this show?
fucking incredible every week
so is Footballers Wives

chefmike
10-03-2005, 05:48 AM
I'm diggin it...
but I love em all...

sopranos
deadwood
curb your enthusiasm
carnivale
entourage
and does anyone recall dream on?

http://www.chiefbloggingofficer.com/images/thmpson-never-weird-enough.jpg

SnowJ
10-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Slim, is that you?

I hate that show.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
10-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Dream On was one of the best HBO comedies
miss that show

hwbs
10-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Dream On was one of the best HBO comedies
miss that show

yeah, dream on was the shit.....i totally forgot about that show

NickTheQuick
10-03-2005, 09:29 AM

TomSelis
10-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Titus Pullo is the MAN!!!

"I'm going to drink all the wine, smoke all the smoke and fuck all the women in Rome!"

That really must've been an interesting time to live in. I missed most of last night's episode, but I'll definitely catch it tonight.

Quinn
10-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Great fucking show. I've seen every episode. Between The Sopranos, Deadwood, and Rome, HBO just kicks ass. Thank God for DVR, or I would never have time to watch anything that interests me.

-Quinn

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
10-03-2005, 11:31 PM
question: don't you guys have HBO On Demand?
the shit is free and all the episodes are on it
I need DVR for footballers wives, it's not on BBC on Demand
pisses me off royally

Quinn
10-03-2005, 11:46 PM
question: don't you guys have HBO On Demand?
the shit is free and all the episodes are on it

I'm sure we do, though I have never attempted to use it. If you need a DVR, the cable companys offers them for something like $7 dollars a month now; it's what I do since I am too lazy to go out and buy one.

-Quinn

castabyss
10-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Have to say that I can't get into Rome......didn't like Carnivale much either.

But nobody has mentioned the best HBO show ever yet...The Wire.

CA

chefmike
10-10-2005, 03:28 AM
tonights show...oh yeah...shit is heatin up!!

brickcitybrother
10-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Rome is the SHOW of the season. And as far as Dream On .. the sequences created the best original comedy in decades. I wonder wherer Brian Benben is these days.

NickTheQuick
10-13-2005, 09:22 AM

Overlord Abomination
10-13-2005, 12:06 PM
I can't watch this show...It kinda interest me...It mainly bore's me. Ali G season 3, And Hopefully All the carni fans can bring back the best thing to hit HBO in Ages.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
10-17-2005, 02:46 AM
not being racist but I'm just in shock that HBO made Cleopatra a pale white dame, I mean cmon now..........

chefmike
10-17-2005, 02:51 AM
yeah...but it looks like its gonna be another kickass episode...later

Quinn
10-17-2005, 03:01 AM
not being racist but I'm just in shock that HBO made Cleopatra a pale white dame, I mean cmon now..........

JWBL,

While Egypt definitely had black Pharaohs (Nubian Dynasty, etc.), I don't believe Cleopatra was black. Hear me out on this. When Alexander the Great died, one of his generals, Ptolemy, took control of Egypt. Ptolemy was Greek (or Macedonian if you want to get technical). It was his line that retained control of Egypt up through Cleopatra's time. The Ptolemaic line of Pharaohs, of which Cleopatra was a part, were known for inbreeding. As such, it is more likely than not that Cleopatra was entirely Greek.

-Quinn

Quinn
10-17-2005, 03:43 AM
Two words: great episode.

-Quinn

TomSelis
10-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Oh!! This episode was damned good! I said it before, I'll say it again TITUS PULLO IS THE MAN!!!

Watching Rome is like watching The Godfather II every episode. Now I have to wait until the 30th for a new episode. Withdrawl is coming.

I don't think Cleopatra was entirely Greek, Ptolemy had to marry an Egyptian to solidify his claim to rule. So, yeah, mostly Greek.

chefmike
10-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Agreed, a great episode. I also agree with T Selis that TITUS IS THE MAN!! He was tearing Cleopatra's ass UP! Cleopatra is one hedonistic wench!

http://usera.imagecave.com/chefmike/thmpson-never-weird-enough.jpg

Quinn
10-17-2005, 10:42 PM
I don't think Cleopatra was entirely Greek, Ptolemy had to marry an Egyptian to solidify his claim to rule. So, yeah, mostly Greek.

It is possible this is correct, though I have my doubts. If memory serves, Ptolemy I did in fact marry an Egyptian women from the previous ruling dynasty to solidify his hold on power. It is also believed he married a Persian princess and an Athenian woman. However, his children - including Ptolemy II - were thought to have been born to a Macedonian women of import and one of her ladies in waiting (also Macedonian). Don't quote me on this, but I believe her name was Eurydice. Still, history is imprecise at best, and this may be wrong.

Either way, Pullo is totally the man, and Rome is a great show.

-Quinn

chefmike
10-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Rome..........................

is back tonight!!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/chefmike/thmpson-never-weird-enough.jpg

chefmike
10-31-2005, 04:47 AM
incest, betrayal, capitulation....and Titus is conflicted...ya gotta love it!

TomSelis
10-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Pullo is going to get very jealous when he finds out that slave girl doesn't love him. Now his boy Vorenus is working for the senate and moving up...it's going to be hot these next few episodes.

scipio
12-06-2005, 01:07 AM

It is possible this is correct, though I have my doubts. If memory serves, Ptolemy I did in fact marry an Egyptian women from the previous ruling dynasty to solidify his hold on power. It is also believed he married a Persian princess and an Athenian woman. However, his children - including Ptolemy II - were thought to have been born to a Macedonian women of import and one of her ladies in waiting (also Macedonian). Don't quote me on this, but I believe her name was Eurydice. Still, history is imprecise at best, and this may be wrong.

-Quinn

Actually he DID marry a Macedonian - Berenice was her name, and she was the mother of Ptolemy II, through whom the line ran.

Quinn
12-06-2005, 01:53 AM

-Quinn

Actually he DID marry a Macedonian - Berenice was her name, and she was the mother of Ptolemy II, through whom the line ran.

Berenice was the name of Euryeice's lady in waiting (referenced above). I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that Ptolemy I never married her. Either way, thanks for the clarification as to which lady Ptolemy II descended from (Eurydice vs. Berenice).

-Quinn

scipio
12-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Yes Berenice was a lady in waiting to Eurydice, but was also the mother of Ptolemy II. This was openly acknowledged at the time, with her offspring being shown Ptolemy's favour and succeeding him. Not sure if a ceremony took place but she could be considered a "common law" wife.
Eurydice was also Macedonia, BTW.