View Full Version : Why I have changed my mind about the homeless

justatransgirl
02-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Tonight is a night of introspection...

Not counting my driving habits... :-) I think maybe I'm maturing a little bit.

I recently came to the conclusion that it is wrong to look down upon the hard working people who recycle beer cans and other trash. For a long time, like many people, I kind of lumped can recyclers in the same category as bums, since many are both. And that was wrong.

One thing really irks the hell out of me, and that's an able bodied man wearing dirty clothes and stringy long hair, especially one who is younger than I am, bumming money from me on the street.

I've worked my ass off - literally - to get where I am and to earn what I have. When my partner and I were faced with nearly being homeless ourselves a few years ago, we got to work and did what we had to do. These bums, who live on the public dole instead of getting out there and finding or making a job annoy me.

But after chasing a guy out of our condo recycle bin the other day I got to thinking, that there was a man who was actually trying to EARN some money. He might still have had substance problems or been homeless, but by golly he was TRYING. Of course he shouldn't have been trespassing and swiping the condo association cans that they recycle for money too, but he was at least making an effort and not out trying to intimidate people into just giving him money.

Therefore I've decided that when I see the recycle guys on their bikes with their big sacks of tin cans, when the opportunity arises I'm going to give THEM the money I'd otherwise give to beggars. Effort should be rewarded.

Just my slightly profound thought of the evening. My goodness could I be developing... compassion?

----
TS Jamie :-)

thx1138
02-12-2009, 02:06 PM
That works.

tao1kiku
02-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Compassion is good, and for those homeless who are honestly trying, absolutely yes, sure. If they are working to make money, absolutely.

I work as a bouncer a few nights a week and see ALOT of homeless ppl. Some are truly down and out but have pride and dignity and are TRYING! At the same time, every summer a new wave of "homeless" comes downtown to panhandle. And 98% of them are kids from outlying small towns in for a summer of kicks. Even had one brag to me about how much he made in one night (over $250.00). And when they say "I need money for food" and you give them a takeout from a NICE restuarant and they throw it in your face, I lose my sympathy. But when winter comes (as cold as -30), we see the real homeless staying on. And those are the ones I collect clothes for, give money and smokes to, and treat with respect and dignity.

justatransgirl
02-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Yeah, Tao I agree. Your comment jogged a memory of a couple of years ago. Jessica and I had just had dinner at a nice Italian place.

Some homeless guy hit us up for money as we walked down the block to our car. Jessica offered him the remains of her LOBSTER pasta dinner. And the guy turned it down - saying "I don't like lobster."

Sheesh,
TS Jamie :-)

tao1kiku
02-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Absolute luv, if you are TRULY HUNGRY, you will eat damn near anything.

If you're singing for your food, offering to shovel a restaurant patio for food or money, collecting bottles/cans, yes, you are trying. If you're following people around harasssing them for money, nope.

It's hard to know who to help sometimes, but at least helping one person who is worse off than you every day, even in a small way, makes the world a little bit bitter. (Now imagine if everyone did that!)

uktlover
02-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Interesting points made here, we don't recycle for money, we do it for free, the garbageman take the recyclable stuff every week

Ts CinthyaNY
02-14-2009, 12:02 AM
The reality of a lot homeless people it disturb me. But a good point was made here and it's that when we see someone trying to do what they can to survive, it something to admire because no matter how hard they TRYING. So thanks for bring this up Jamie... Something to think of.

justin
02-14-2009, 04:17 AM
People should remember that many homeless persons begging on the street are mentally ill, often refuse to take medication and may also be substance abusers. This includes veterans who risked their lives for us, and have been abandoned by our righteous government leaders. Our social service system has been greatly eroded over the years, starting with that selfish bastard Ronald Reagan and his moral majority supporters. Without a humane social service system, this problem will not get any better. This January over 600,000 lost their jobs. I wonder how many of these will be homeless by this time next year.

Jericho
02-14-2009, 04:26 AM
The homeless?
Fuck'em...feed them to the hungry, solve two problems at once!

(copywright of Billy Connellly) :lol:

El Nino
02-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Soilent Green is people... We've been eating people!!!

jjhill
02-14-2009, 06:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMsr0cLnQPI

chefmike
02-14-2009, 08:31 AM
People should remember that many homeless persons begging on the street are mentally ill, often refuse to take medication and may also be substance abusers. This includes veterans who risked their lives for us, and have been abandoned by our righteous government leaders. Our social service system has been greatly eroded over the years, starting with that selfish bastard Ronald Reagan and his moral majority supporters. Without a humane social service system, this problem will not get any better. This January over 600,000 lost their jobs. I wonder how many of these will be homeless by this time next year.

Exactly!! Especially your points about that piece of shit Reagan. The compassion in this thread isn't exactly overwhelming...but I guess that's just a reflection of the OP's Marie Antoinette mindset...nevertheless, karma(like people) can be a bitch sometimes...werd...

Mugai_hentaisha
02-14-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't know I have always been kinda torn on the whole "Homeless" issue while it isn't a big problem where I live, due to a small population, local private agencies willing to help and over all pride, there are several homeless that are just truly down on their luck and there are several that are just plain manipulators.

While I have never had a bad run in with any homeless person I am still very skeptical about giving them any attention mainly due to something my Mother pointed out to me one time when I gave money to a homeless person with a sign "will work for food". She told me look at his shoes, I did and saw that he was wearing brand new shoes that cost in the neighborhood of 50-60 dollars. So from that date on, I have always looked at them with an weary eye. Now i help out my lawyer friend who handles VA claims ( which is a percentage of homeless in my area) and we help the situation that way. My money is earned way to hard to give it to a scammer. Not a perfect solution but it works

TES
William

tao1kiku
02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I feel veteran who are homeless are any nations biggest shame. Train, send em off to do things most people could never, ever do, and once the job is done, send em packing. Those who stand and fight for our respective nations, who are ready to risk their lives, if they canbnot care for themselves, they should be cared for comfortably (and with dignity) by the state untill they have passed on. My Dad was a WWII vet who dies in poverty, I know Brits who have served in the Gulf and now can't even find shelter let alone food. These are the people who protected our nations and ideals, and our children. Shame on every gov't.

chefmike
02-14-2009, 11:28 PM
I feel veteran who are homeless are any nations biggest shame. Train, send em off to do things most people could never, ever do, and once the job is done, send em packing. Those who stand and fight for our respective nations, who are ready to risk their lives, if they canbnot care for themselves, they should be cared for comfortably (and with dignity) by the state untill they have passed on. My Dad was a WWII vet who dies in poverty, I know Brits who have served in the Gulf and now can't even find shelter let alone food. These are the people who protected our nations and ideals, and our children. Shame on every gov't.Well said.

El Nino
02-15-2009, 12:02 AM
"It's a conspiracy" Chefff

tsmandy
02-15-2009, 12:37 AM
I've been homeless before it sucks.

People often times have this idea that they are immune from tragedy and proceed to categorize homeless people as others, as if one car crash or month in jail wouldn't land them on the street.

This is especially true for young TS who are much more likely to have no access to employment or family support and often times have to deal with sketchy places to stay. Minor setbacks can oftentimes became tragic.