PDA

View Full Version : The $1.00 diet

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
With the high rate of unemployment, markets crashing down etc. Could you do it?

This couple did.

http://onedollardietproject.wordpress.com/

The One Dollar Diet Project --- Kerri and Christopher Pearson Try to Survive Off Only $1 a Day for Food

The Successful Project by the Couple Shows the World What is Possible with Only One Dollar a Day Spent on Food

The One Dollar Diet Project first got off the ground in September, when Kerri and Christopher Pearson decided to perform a personal experiment, where they sought to survive off only $1.00 each per day for food. The one dollar project meant that they could each only consume $1.00 worth of food that they had purchased, split between their three meals during that day. It seems almost too incredible to believe they could succeed at this goal, but they have also drawn a lot of attention to the fact that millions of people around the world are already forced to eat less than that per day, and that a lot of them go without eating.

On September 1st, 2008, they started their goal of going an entire month with each of them only eating $1.00 or less worth of food each day. To chronicle their journey, they created a web-site called The One Dollar Project and blogged about their daily expenses and intake of food. This blog included not only a breakdown of everything that they ate, but a breakdown of the prices for each food item, as well as a nice color photograph showing off one of the meals that they had concocted for themselves. They kept up this goal, going the entire month at keeping their meals under $1.00, and even had a guest over that shared some of their food on one day.

The remarkable project came with rules that they set for themselves in addition to the $1.00 per food rule. They weren't allowed to accept free or donated food, anything they grew had to also be paid for, they sought to have variety and ruled out eating top ramen every day, and that if they had guests, they would have to share part of their own ration for the day. Along the way, they didn't seek to bring attention just to their own personal goal, but to several note-worthy causes that included their local Community Resource Center and the ONE campaign. They did accept donations as well, which they would give as a lump sum donation themselves to one of the charities.

SOURCE: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1299471/the_one_dollar_diet_project_kerri_and.html

~Kisses.

HTG

blckhaze
12-17-2008, 12:13 AM
In NYC?

I couldnt make it 3 days. between high prices, and the allure of fast food, that'd be doomed from the start.

BeardedOne
12-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Little Seizure's: Hot-n-Ready Pepperoni Pizza = $5.00.

Eight slices, eight days, plus drink.

I win.

bartholomeus
12-17-2008, 01:18 AM
so how exactly do you live on one dollar purchased food? i went to the blog but i'm too lazy to read all the posts.

DL_NL
12-17-2008, 01:19 AM

I win.
Wasn't it all green 'n' hairy by day 8?

Odelay
12-17-2008, 03:54 AM
I'd be down to 25 cents once I drank that Diet Pepsi in the morning. 8)

AmyDaly
12-17-2008, 04:44 AM
There are actually a lot of good things you can get for a dollar. 2 things that come to my mind right away are the Jack In the Box Tacos... They are made with Soy meat and if you have no cheese, they are very low cal and only a dollar.

The other would be the side salads from most fast food places. They are usually a dollar as well and not bad at all. Very low cal as well.

ef9hatchman
12-17-2008, 07:46 AM
soy isnt always good for you.
I can live off Crunch 'N Munch for the rest of my life. Or PHO :D

Thatiger23
12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
yeah i dont think i could live off a dollar a day i love pastas and steaks way to much

bartholomeus
12-17-2008, 08:03 AM
There are actually a lot of good things you can get for a dollar. 2 things that come to my mind right away are the Jack In the Box Tacos... They are made with Soy meat and if you have no cheese, they are very low cal and only a dollar.

The other would be the side salads from most fast food places. They are usually a dollar as well and not bad at all. Very low cal as well.

are we talking 1 dollar for food you purchase made? or for food at home or anywhere? I couldn't possibly live with 1 meal and it being [most likely] small 1 dollar tacos. The 1$ salads are far too small, granted they are not bad at all but my stomach gets hungry about 30 mins later if i only eat that lol. If you say a double whopper w. cheese for a dollar i would atleast attempt to hold my hunger the rest of the day ;)

justatransgirl
12-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't know what it costs now but I remember when I was in my 20's surviving on Mac and Cheese at 19 cents a box.

At that price you coudl probably get fat!

PS - I think that most of the people who live on $1.00 a day ALSO live in rural / subsistance areas and are able to supplement with local produce, etc. Also most 3rd world countries are a LOT cheaper to eat in than the USA. I remember during the war in Nicaragua you could get pretty much a 3 course meal for a buck or two.

LOL,
TS Jamie :-)

BeardedOne
12-17-2008, 12:33 PM

I win.
Wasn't it all green 'n' hairy by day 8?

I have a refrigerator that works. :)

ef9hatchman
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
my friend says in Vietnam Where he came from 50 cents will get you any type of food you desire. In qauntity.

alyssats
12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
^ and the best thing is Vietnam food is just plain delicious and one of the most healthy food in the world

ef9hatchman
12-18-2008, 12:08 AM
^ and the best thing is Vietnam food is just plain delicious and one of the most healthy food in the world
Yes I love Pho.I go so often the owner/waiter know what I want -_-
Saw Owner once at sams he walked up and said what you doing here.
Buying Drinks :D