PDA

View Full Version : What would you do If the New Madrid Earthquake happens!

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-22-2008, 07:34 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/NMSZBig.gif
New Madrid fault and Earthquake prone region considered at high risk today.

New Madrid earthquake of 1811
New Madrid earthquake of 1811, the strongest series of earthquakes ever felt in America rocked the Mississippi Valley. Devastation was widespread. Scientists predict it will happen again.

The 1811 or 1812 New Madrid Earthquake is one of the largest succession of earthquakes, including the most intensive ever indirectly inferred (not recorded) in the contiguous United States, beginning with an initial pair of very large earthquakes on December 16th, 1811, plus aftershocks and other large related quakes separated by a succession of smaller aftershock quakes with the largest event classified as a Mega-quake of greater than 8.0 on the Richter scale occurring on February 7, 1812. It got its name from its primary location in the New Madrid Seismic Zone, near New Madrid, Louisiana Territory (now Missouri), where a stretch of land five miles deep spanning from Arkansas to Illinois shifted and slipped. The fault is believed to generate a slip every 250-400 years.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/NMSZ_Vergleich.jpg
Damage-range comparison between a moderate New Madrid zone earthquake (1895, magnitude 6.8), and a similar Los Angeles event (1994, magnitude 6.7).

This earthquake was preceded by three other major quakes: two on December 16, 1811, and one on January 23, 1812. These earthquakes destroyed approximately half the town of New Madrid. There were also numerous aftershocks in the area for the rest of that winter with research indicating a series of some 2,000 earthquakes overall that affected the lands of what would become eight of today's heartland states of the United States.

There are estimates that the earthquakes were felt strongly over roughly 130,000 square kilometers (50,000 square miles), and moderately across nearly 3 million square kilometers (1 million square miles). The historic 1906 San Francisco earthquake, by comparison, was felt moderately over roughly 16,000 square kilometers (6,000 square miles).

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Earthquake
__________________________________________________ ___________

Are you guys prepared? What sort of preparations would you do if this hits?

~Kisses.

HTG

Castor_Troy05
11-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I'd worry about my friends in the states and pray they were all safe. It wouldn't affect me physically as i'm on the other side of the world, but I'd hope y'all in the US were saved

johnb
11-22-2008, 08:05 AM
i'm from Missouri, the New Madrid earthquake sent the Mississippi River backwards at the fault. The Bush Presidency has sent the entire world backwards for the last eight years...which fault has done the most damage?

johnb
11-22-2008, 08:18 AM
btw, nice geographical and history lesson there, girl. thanks, history will eventually repeat itself there...sometime

smoof
11-22-2008, 08:19 AM
if it is in the 6.0 range it is not to bad when it starts getting over 7.0 then you need to worry. been thru a 7.3 and a 7.1 and a 6.8 i think, they were all within an 24hr period just get into a door frame and you will be ok. i remember during those 3 quakes you cant even stand during them the big one was during the day i and remember seeing the shock wave head right at me and my brothers......... was kind of crazy. think that one lasted for just 55 seconds so it did not do to much damage.

to be honest if it is below 6.0 it is not even worth getting up for, but when they get above that you start to take notice. been thru quite a few 6.0+ just got to get away from stuff on the walls cuz it starts flying around. been lucky for a wile have had nothing near 6.0 in a wile keep waiting for another big one to hit.

never been in a 8.0 or higher i know for each point like from 7.0 to 8.0 is 100 times more powerfull so from remembering the 7.3 one i dont really want to be in a 8.0 :)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-22-2008, 08:56 AM
btw, nice geographical and history lesson there, girl. thanks, history will eventually repeat itself there...sometime

Welcome. Thought that was something worth to ponder about. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-22-2008, 08:59 AM
serious issue. here's what i would do

Maybe not just yet..but it 'could' be..soon!

:roll:

~Kisses.

HTG

Justawannabe
11-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Not sure what you could do, it would hit so fast you would barely have time to do much of anything.

Being in Illinois, I'd probably start looking for spare stuff I could pile into the car and head down to help folks out as soon as it stopped shaking. I've been through a few tornadoes and someone is always in a bad way, blankets food blood always end up short pretty fast.

Sean