PDA

View Full Version : Skin care recommendations?

msbhaven
11-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I'd especially like to hear from some of the girls but guys can respond too. What products do you use to take care of your skin? What kind of a skin care routine do you have? What works for you and what doesn't? What do you use for shave bumps, wrinkles, acne, and the like?

I use Lubriderm lotion on my legs and hands. I use antibump bikini zone shaving gel for shaving my body and legs. I use Dove soap for general cleansing. I use Witch Hazel as my toner/cleaner. I try to do a facial mask at least twice a week. And I use antibump aftershave gel.

Some days and weeks are better then others for smooth clear skin. There are about a million antiwrinkle, antiacne, anti whatever lotions and treatments out there but I can't get a solid feel for what really works and what is just BS advertising.

Please post your opinions.

Ashlee

blckhaze
11-20-2008, 01:05 AM
as metrosexual as this will sound, I have a 1 1/2 skin care routine at night.

1)i cleanse my face with a basic liquid soap called Tolsom. (tip: avoid bar soaps on your face)
2) insert shaving on days I need to be extra clean)
3) I use an acne porduct called clear.now (similar to proactive, but less expensive) it has a scrub, toner, and lotion. (tip: avoid alcohol as a cleanser. Look for products containing salicylic acid)
4)Shower with Old spice body wash
5) I use a sugar scrup I buy from a local jamaican lady. Its good for getting all the dead skin
5) I use cocoa butter to even out my skin all over( i go through this like water)

add that to my bi weekly manicure and pedicure, Im like 1 push from snapping in a circle.

ARMANIXXX
11-20-2008, 01:28 AM
I use Baby Oil (Johnsons w/ Vit. E and Aloe) almost every day.

As far as shaving I have a now 3 year old Remington that doesn't hold a charge well anymore, but the reason I can't bear to part with it is because since the blade has been well used, it doesn't cut as close as a brand new razor, therefore I get no razor bumps. Unfortunately, "The closest shave a man can get" theory isn't really good for black men.

blckhaze
11-20-2008, 02:26 AM

As far as shaving I have a now 3 year old Remington that doesn't hold a charge well anymore, but the reason I can't bear to part with it is because since the blade has been well used, it doesn't cut as close as a brand new razor, therefore I get no razor bumps. Unfortunately, "The closest shave a man can get" theory isn't really good for black men.

salicylic acid. Razor bumps are nothing but infected pores (like a pimple).

ottorocket
11-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Obagi, Tretinoin cream, and a green tea moisturizer.

house9
11-20-2008, 02:38 AM
I feel nutragena works the best for me. As far as shaving is concerned I like to really lather up with hair conditioner just before I use a really good razor. I find I dont get much for ingrown hairs or rashes

ARMANIXXX
11-20-2008, 02:45 AM

salicylic acid. Razor bumps are nothing but infected pores (like a pimple).

Yes, but it's a little bit more than that. The hair is actually growing the wrong way, into your skin. I don't get them often, but when I do, I have to locate and tweeze the hair out.

melissacarter
11-20-2008, 03:06 AM
I use one skin scare system and one only- Obagi Nu-Derm , it is doctor prescribed and only available through a dermatologist or skin doctor.

http://www.obagisale.com/obaginudermguide.php

I recommend this line of products after a lifetime of using what I thought was the best including Clinique and Estee Lauder. Obagi's Nu-derm system rebuilds skin on a cellular level, and I know that sounds like a commercial, but I'm telling you it really works. In addition to a shedding of dead skin it bleaches and clarifies. Your skin undergoes a transformation and for the first eight to ten weeks your skin actually looks worse- reddens and often a lot of flaking. When I first began using it my co-workers would laugh at me and say, "stay away, she's flaking!"

It's ridiculously expensive, I spend about $700- $900 a year on all the stuff, including foaming gel cleanser, toner, clearing Hydroquinone lotion, exoderm (exfoliant), tretinoin bleaching lotion and SPF 35 moisturizing lotion.

SPF is crucial, do not tan, that is the worst thing you can do to your skin, protect & moisturize always.

As for body, moisturize with a dermatologist recommended non-perfume lotion only. I use Eucerin, it is the best in my opinion. Also, drink tons of water it is always best to moisturize from within.

Ts CinthyaNY
11-20-2008, 04:12 AM
Hey girl...

I know how hard all that it's for you , I have some advise myself .

When it comes to wash my face I use the Olay Dual Action with cucumber extract and then after I exfoliate my skin with the Olay daily regenerating cleanser and after use hydrate with Mac Hydrating Lotion.

I use mineral make up and it helps.

When I do my legs after rinsing with warm water I put on baby oil and leave it for a few minutes then I use a damp hot towel to remove the oil and after it's dry use my favorite lotion, baby lotion. It leaves my skin so smooth !

Another tip for those razor bumps in either in you face or legs you may try this product, it helps a lot , well it worked for my hubby and it worked for me especially in the bikini area.

Best luck..!!!!

Ts CinthyaNY
11-20-2008, 04:14 AM
Hey girl...

I know how hard all that it's for you , I have some advise myself .

When it comes to wash my face I use the Olay Dual Action with cucumber extract and then after I exfoliate my skin with the Olay daily regenerating cleanser and after use hydrate with Mac Hydrating Lotion.

I use mineral make up and it helps.

When I do my legs after rinsing with warm water I put on baby oil and leave it for a few minutes then I use a damp hot towel to remove the oil and after it's dry use my favorite lotion, baby lotion. It leaves my skin so smooth !

Another tip for those razor bumps in either in you face or legs you may try this product, it helps a lot , well it worked for my hubby and it worked for me especially in the bikini area.

Best luck..!!!!

transmaven
11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Tips:

moisture from inside is the absolute key: take either Eskimo-3 fish oil or Udo's 3,6,9 blend

never use hot water, esp. on face. lukewarm or cooler. not fun in the winter, but good for morale ;)

don't use soap except in the obvious cracks and folds. soap is a killer. people cleaner than they think and what's important is the oil that's already on your skin

go to uniquelyemu.com and get Pure Emu Oil for body and Emuleve (Ultra Emu Oil) for face. emu oil is the most like human skin, even more than jojoba

Use Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel with no color; mixed with emu it is an *incredible moisturizer* and very economical indeed

always hydrate skin before you moisturize; pat with towel, don't rub

exercise hard

eat raw greens and brightly colored vegetables

fuck often

you're covered

LinzB79
11-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I actually blogged about this recently. A friend recently gave me a gift basket from Bath and Body Works featuring various body care products in the Japanese Cherry Blossom fragrance. I have never been particularly fond of Bath & Body Works, but I liked the new fragrance so I thought I would try it out, so I used the shower gel and "ultimate silk body lotion."

I use quotation marks because my skin was anything but silky after using. It's the same problem I have always had Bath & Body Works products and products from Victoria's Secret, they always end up drying my skin out. That's why I still swear by Nivea for moisturizing needs. I've found two products made by Benefit Cosmetics, Body So Fine body balm and, my personal favorite, "touch me and then try to leave..." cream, which is a must for legs.

MrsKellyPierce
11-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Dermabrasion, lots of hormones, and a good Lotion for your skin! I use anti-aging lotions :) from my dermatologist.

melissacarter
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I actually blogged about this recently. A friend recently gave me a gift basket from Bath and Body Works featuring various body care products in the Japanese Cherry Blossom fragrance. I have never been particularly fond of Bath & Body Works, but I liked the new fragrance so I thought I would try it out, so I used the shower gel and "ultimate silk body lotion."

I use quotation marks because my skin was anything but silky after using. It's the same problem I have always had Bath & Body Works products and products from Victoria's Secret, they always end up drying my skin out. That's why I still swear by Nivea for moisturizing needs. I've found two products made by Benefit Cosmetics, Body So Fine body balm and, my personal favorite, "touch me and then try to leave..." cream, which is a must for legs.

that stuff is all shit. here's your number one skin care product- water.

See my previous post in this thread for the products.

mimiplastique
11-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Dermabrasion, lots of hormones, and a good Lotion for your skin! I use anti-aging lotions :) from my dermatologist.

i am surprised your doctor gave you anti aging cream ...

but i use something new called revision black mask also Estee lauder Micro-D ;)

mimiplastique
11-21-2008, 09:06 PM

that stuff is all shit. here's your number one skin care product- water.

See my previous post in this thread for the products.

work you said it best

WATER WORKS

MrsKellyPierce
11-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I requested that moistrurizer Mimi :P