View Full Version : new star trek trailer

thx1138
11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk:80/tvshowbiz/article-1086917/TRAILER-Star-Trek-gets-sexy-makeover-new-film-love-scenes-motorbikes-hunky-stars.html

tsntx
11-19-2008, 12:11 AM
i saw it in the bond movie.... looked 10x better then i expected... i actually want to see it

conan007
11-19-2008, 12:18 AM
yeag i actually want to see it now, first time for years i've wanted to see any Star Trek

BeardedOne
11-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Simon Pegg as Scotty...Interesting.

saifan
11-19-2008, 01:07 AM
The bit with Kirk as a kid nearly soured me on the whole thing.

I was impressed with the look of it though. Still not in love with the prequel nature of it all, especially with the guy that they have playing Kirk.

The last good Trek movie was First Contact so it's been awhile.

Legend
11-19-2008, 01:25 AM
OMG that looked liked utter shit,i can almost guarantee this movie will be a complete flopped mainly because it gives me a star trek enterpise vibe and that series was shit.They cannot capture that time when cgi is freakin everywhere.The young kirk scene was ridiciolous and bascially set the tone for this movie.

NjTranceAddict
11-19-2008, 04:23 AM
OMG that looked liked utter shit,i can almost guarantee this movie will be a complete flopped mainly because it gives me a star trek enterpise vibe and that series was shit.They cannot capture that time when cgi is freakin everywhere.The young kirk scene was ridiciolous and bascially set the tone for this movie.

That about sums it up for me. I'm curious to know that the FUCK happened to the core theme and message Mr. Roddenberry had in mind? Ugh. :roll:

Legend
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm curious to know that the FUCK happened to the core theme and message Mr. Roddenberry had in mind?

Seems like it got lost in the hollywood oh lets remake and try milk another classic franchise for all it's worth.

ARMANIXXX
11-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Disagree with you.

That trailer looked good.

I'm not a hard core original Trek fan either, but Kirk was always known for being wild and somewhat reckless.

Legend
11-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Disagree with you.

I'm not a hard core original Trek fan either, but Kirk was always known for being wild and somewhat reckless.

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me but this movie was made for people like you who have no idea who gene roddenberry and what star trek is all about,all you see is a big hollywood remake.Kirk isn't known for doing stupid,pointless things like that kid did.

ARMANIXXX
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Disagree with you.

I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me but this movie was made for people like you who have no idea who gene roddenberry and what star trek is all about,all you see is a big hollywood remake.Kirk isn't known for doing stupid,pointless things like that kid did.

Kirk was always into doing impulsive things as an adult.....He fucked every type of alien known in the solar system. So that he did reckless stuff as a kid, which by the way, to my knowlege, has never been greatly told or portrayed, it's not really a stretch.

For that matter we don't even know why he was in that car.

I will give you this though, the still pics from that trailer web page made me think, "shit this is gonna be re-fuckin-tarded", but the trailer gives a whole different vibe.

And I agree with the other guy that said not since "FIRST CONTACT" has a Star Trek movie been enticing.

Fueled By Ramen
11-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm torn. I grew up with Trek...my first memories of watching TV on the ol' RCA was of Kirk and Spock. While I wasn't obsessive over it (going to conventions, wearing costumes, etc), I followed it, loved Roddenberry's vision, and watched all the movies and shows that followed. Seeing the first pics from this movie had me worried and now the trailer has me even more worried. I'm all for reboots and "reimagine-ings", but something doesn't seem quite kosher with this.

The new Spock looks fine, but he still reminds me of Sylar from Heroes. "Spocklar". The first pics of the Enterprise look horrible, not sleek or elegant at all. And seeing Kirk riding a motorcycle...a little too reminiscent of "Top Gun" for me. But what matters is story and acting; since this is only a trailer, I'll just have to wait until I can pass judgement on this film. I'm still hopeful that it will be good, but I have my concerns.

I remember when the Star Wars prequel trailers came out and those looked good, but ended up being horrible, horrible movies. Plus, only 2 of the 10 Trek movies were any good, so doing a good Trek movie is a rare thing. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Azanti
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Looks good to me.

It had to be given a serious make over to refresh the franchise. This looks like it retains some core elements of the original while injecting some serious life for a new audience.

That said one could argue if it should have ever been made at all - however I think it will be a sucess, probably a big sucess, how anyone can say at this stage that it will flop beguiles my logic, loo.

jaycanuck
11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Disagree with you.

I can see your point Legend. You're a fan of what the TV series brought. I myself am a long time fan of Trek and admire what Roddenberry did in his time. He brought big topics to the forefront.

That being said though..I have no interest in seeing tie dye wearing go-go dancers for 2 hours. Every generation has their take on franchises and sometimes certain properties become stale. Bond is a great example of this. If I had to see Bond wind surfing an ice field again I'd lose it.

Change can be good, this movie can be good.

WinstonSmith8
11-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Disagree with you.

Gene Roddenbery was a hack, who surrounded himself with talented people like Gene Coon and Bob Justman.

Roddenberry was a greedy, ethically-challenged POS. Milking the franchise for all it's worth is very much in his character.

Legend
11-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Kirk was always into doing impulsive things as an adult.....He fucked every type of alien known in the solar system. So that he did reckless stuff as a kid, which by the way, to my knowlege, has never been greatly told or portrayed, it's not really a stretch.

For that matter we don't even know why he was in that car.

I will give you this though, the still pics from that trailer web page made me think, "shit this is gonna be re-fuckin-tarded", but the trailer gives a whole different vibe.

And I agree with the other guy that said not since "FIRST CONTACT" has a Star Trek movie been enticing.

I just don't see how you can compare one of kirk's noticeable characteristics that is being suave to doing something that seems uncharacteristic although he is a kid isn't doesn't seem logical for him even as a kid to do something as stupid and pointless.

First contact was garbage and a complete flop,i don't think star trek is going to work in the movie format nowadays it should stay in a tv series format,if it isn't what trek fans are feeling they aren't going to give a crap about it as in these big budget remakes that are fit to attract non trek fans.

Legend
11-19-2008, 07:23 PM
this movie can be good.

It could but i seriously doubt it judging from that crappy trailer.

BBaggins06
11-19-2008, 08:36 PM

jaycanuck
11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
See, a lot of people will think I'm crazy...but I liked Star Trek : Enterprise with Scott Bakula.....mainly because it was different. It showed a time in the ST universe in which this exploration and relations with the other alien characters just beginning. And to some extent I saw it as a re-launching of sorts for the series (new computer interfaces, just using teleporters...that sort of thing).

I kind of see this movie as a continuation....whether or not the vision is influenced from that series or not. I would like to see a continuation from that. 50 years from now, this Trek movie will be imagined by someone else. It's just how it goes. Some of these re-imaginings work...some don't (i.e. - the first Hulk movie)

Fueled By Ramen
11-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Not every old TV series or movie deserves to be remade. It just shows how insipid Hollywood is. There hasn't been a good ST movie since UC. This installment will probably suck too since Abrams is the Cannell of movie directors. The Uhara-Kirk sex scene is the biggest joke of all.

Agreed. Star Trek has always been about looking ahead, so why go back in the timeline when it's not really needed? Did they really have to go back to the original series and redo Kirk and the gang? Why not move ahead a few hundred years and create a new crew, with stories relevant to our times? As BB06 noted, Hollywood is banal and unimaginative; no one is able to come up with something completely new & original, ergo all the remakes and reimaginings; this is also another reason for all the comic book and videogame-to-movie adaptations. Bond works because the acting and the writing has improved (okay, the writing wasn't so great on Quantum, but I blame the writer's strike...Daniel Craig is still the shit, yo!).

I'll give this new flick a shot. But I'll still reserve judgment until I see the finished version.

ARMANIXXX
11-20-2008, 02:54 AM
I think many of you are being very cynical.

I for one am looking forward to seeing the story lines of both Kirk, Spock, and others in their youth to adulthood.

And why is Uhara and Kirk gettin it on so ridiculous? I think it was rumored that they had the hots for each other before....I think that was even in an episode when they were impaired or something.

Fueled By Ramen
11-20-2008, 03:17 AM
See, a lot of people will think I'm crazy...but I liked Star Trek : Enterprise with Scott Bakula.....mainly because it was different. It showed a time in the ST universe in which this exploration and relations with the other alien characters just beginning. And to some extent I saw it as a re-launching of sorts for the series (new computer interfaces, just using teleporters...that sort of thing).

I kind of see this movie as a continuation....whether or not the vision is influenced from that series or not. I would like to see a continuation from that. 50 years from now, this Trek movie will be imagined by someone else. It's just how it goes. Some of these re-imaginings work...some don't (i.e. - the first Hulk movie)

Ca-RAZY! lol, just kidding, Jay! Actually, I was beginning to enjoy the last season of Enterprise, but the thing that soured me on that show from its inception to the last: it seemed to be an idea forced upon us when every fan knew there was no NX-01 Enterprise based on the history as seen on the ST movies and tv shows. I thought the ship also looked like ass and all the tech looked too advanced to be before the Kirk era. Side note: one theory I heard was that First Contact is reason for all this "Enterprise" and ST reboot nonsense...the Picard and Borg interference at that first meeting created a new timeline and changed starfleet; it allowed for the Archer/Enterprise crew to come into being and how things look a little different in the new movie coming up. (Crap, I do sound like a ST nerd! Somebody get me some Spock ears!!)

[irrelevant side note: wat up ArmaniXXX, nice to see you around here too!]

Solitary Brother
11-20-2008, 04:03 AM
This is gonna suck big time.
I hate hollywood.....they are the most money hungry bastards ever......not counting Wall Street.
Nothing is precious to them they will remake and sequel and milk something over and over again each time making you forget why you loved the original in the first place.
I really despise the "media".
No creativity or foresight whatsoever.
This is one of the reasons people like foreign films.

icarus2112
11-22-2008, 03:24 AM
The new Spock looks fine, but he still reminds me of Sylar from Heroes. "Spocklar". .

That is the actor that plays Sylar from Heroes, so no surprise it reminds you of him. So Kirk does bang Urhura (sp?) get that hottie haaha

Coroner
11-22-2008, 03:49 AM
This is gonna suck big time.
I hate hollywood.....they are the most money hungry bastards ever......not counting Wall Street.
Nothing is precious to them they will remake and sequel and milk something over and over again each time making you forget why you loved the original in the first place.
I really despise the "media".
No creativity or foresight whatsoever.
This is one of the reasons people like foreign films.

Hey it was about time to read this from an American. :)

Legend
11-22-2008, 04:01 AM
hollywood is so f**king orginal,

Upcoming movie remakes:

Porkies
Footloose
Fame
Short Circuit
The Fly
The Dirty Dozen
The Warriors
Hellraiser
Friday the 13th
Meatballs
Death Wish
Funny Games
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!
Child's Play
The Evil Dead
Logan's Run
Carousel
The 39 Steps
The Birds
The Seven Samurai
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Rififi
Clash of the Titans
The Taking of Pelham 123

Fueled By Ramen
11-22-2008, 06:53 AM
That is the actor that plays Sylar from Heroes, so no surprise it reminds you of him. So Kirk does bang Urhura (sp?) get that hottie haaha

Oh I know it's him...what I'm trying to convey is that every time I see clips of Zach Quinto as Spock, I still expect him to raise his finger and start slicin' up foreheads!! "That is not logical...," then, <points, cuuuuuuuuuuts, blood drips> "Facinating." :mrgreen:

And yeah <warning, minor spoiler alert!>, Kirk and Uhura have a 'thang goin' on. According to the reports, he makes "first contact" by trying to pick her up at a space bar.

There was a media event recently where director JJ Abrams showed several clips of the film to reporters. Every article I read has been nothing but positive. So despite all negativity and apprehension by ST nerds, like myself, it may be the treatment ST needs and deserves.

ARMANIXXX
11-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I just don't see how you can compare one of kirk's noticeable characteristics that is being suave to doing something that seems uncharacteristic although he is a kid isn't doesn't seem logical for him even as a kid to do something as stupid and pointless.

First contact was garbage and a complete flop,i don't think star trek is going to work in the movie format nowadays it should stay in a tv series format,if it isn't what trek fans are feeling they aren't going to give a crap about it as in these big budget remakes that are fit to attract non trek fans.

I meant to comment that I don't think you, I AND the rest of the movie world see movies the same way.

Star Trek: First Contact was good, and in fact is considered a top 100 SCI FI movies of all time (top 50 on most of those lists), and trails only Wrath of Khan, which also, obviously received high acclaim.

IMDB.com : Star Trek First Contact: 7.6

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117731/

ARMANIXXX
11-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I think this video is appropriate for the topic at hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxhrPaaCA4

Legend
11-23-2008, 04:12 AM

I meant to comment that I don't think you, I AND the rest of the movie world see movies the same way.

Star Trek: First Contact was good, and in fact is considered a top 100 SCI FI movies of all time (top 50 on most of those lists), and trails only Wrath of Khan, which also, obviously received high acclaim.

Correct me if im wrong but isn't that the one where data is given a emotional chip by some alien/robot chick and they start making out,i personally thought that movie sucked ass.

ARMANIXXX
11-23-2008, 07:17 AM

Correct me if im wrong but isn't that the one where data is given a emotional chip by some alien/robot chick and they start making out,i personally thought that movie sucked ass.

*puts on Klingon nerd suit*

Actually, the "emotion chip" was given/placed in Data in the first one, Star Trek: Generations. But the Borg queen graphed some skin on Data that he could feel so she could more easily seduce him.
*shrug*

Was a pretty good Sci Fi.

If you continue to challenge my Star Trek knowledge, Legend,

I SHALL KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND.

:wink:

Fueled By Ramen
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Okay, where's my NextGen Starfleet uniform??? Ah, there it is...

The Borg Queen put human skin on Data so that he could finally achieve what he always wanted to be...human. He could never permanently change his skin color to normal human pigment before, thus he could never truly feel "human," even with the emotion chip. But it was the Queen who used the skin of the people they captured/killed and grafted them onto Data so he could finally appear like a normal human being. By doing this, she proved that the Borg could give him more than anything the humans could. The sexual seduction was just added incentive. Ultimately, Data knew that the Borg could never provide friendship, the one thing he cherished more than becoming human.

Also, Data always had the ability to feel things on his skin, he just didn't have the capability to gauge pain or sensuality.

Ugh, quick! Somebody get me some sports, get me to a gym, a nightclub, where's my surfboard... must...get...a...life... nerdiness...taking...over... :crazy