PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Mitchell RIP

DJ_Asia
11-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Mitch Mitchell,the drummer from The Jimi Hendrix Experience died today at 62.

Mitch wasnt the greatest drummer I ever heard,but he was special for his ability to improvise and allow Jimi to just play his guitar in live performances.

RIP Mitch...gonna be a killer concert in heaven soon!

JamesHunt
11-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Never personally heard of the guy. But if he was part of the Hendrix experience, repect. RIP.

saifan
11-13-2008, 06:23 AM
RIP. Amazing that the entire Experience is gone.

El Nino
11-13-2008, 08:44 AM
He was da mannnn

a994
11-13-2008, 08:46 AM
R.I.P. the entire Experience (and Buddy Miles from the Band of Gypsys).

hippifried
11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Well... It's been 42 or 43 years since they came together as a band.

hippifried
11-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Well... It's been 42 or 43 years since they came together as a band.

yodajazz
11-13-2008, 12:18 PM

I had forgotten that Noel Redding was also gone. I see he passed in 2003 at the age of 57. But sorry to hear about Mitch. I remember songs that had some nice drumming like a song called "Fire". (Let me stand next to your fire.") And "If Six was Nine". ("Now if six, turned our to be nine, I don't mind.)

Like Hendrix said at the words end of "If six was nine" said; "I know I have to die, when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life the way I want too. Play on drummer..."

Crawler
11-13-2008, 12:34 PM
One of the great tragedies is that the greatest jazz, rock and other artists prematurely aged and died when compared to people like Terry Bozzio, who for some reason always caught on to remaining healthy - it's good to know that we're losing fewer musicians too early, like Jimi - it's not celebrity rehab that's doing it; there seems to be a generational shift toward taking care of ourselves...Mitch was part of history, absolutely

moose146
11-13-2008, 02:33 PM
R.I.P but i think Dave Lombardo is the best drummer ive heard (no hate intented) Fantomas

krupaman
11-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Mitch worked so well with Jimi and in my opinion was really part of Jimi's creative force. Mitch was very jazz influenced and it came out in his playing. I don't think the late Buddy Miles ever came close to the skills of Mitchell. I was glad when Jimi brought Mitch back into the band at the end in 1969.Just listen to Dolly Dagger from Jimi's last lp. Mitch is soaring!! R.I.P.

ghbryans1
11-14-2008, 02:02 AM
This totally sucks. I was never into the "best" thing. Too subjective, but sadly you don't get the creative, hyper-kinetic Keith Moon/Mitch Mitchell thing anymore. Loved it. They're all gone... Shit.

Nikka
11-14-2008, 03:00 AM
R.I.P. :((((

hondarobot
11-14-2008, 03:34 AM
It's hard to feel too sad for the guy. He certainly earned himself some bragging rights. I can just imagine the conversation as he enters the After Life:

"What did you do with your life? Doctor? Lawyer? Something like that?"

"No, I played drums for Jimi Hendrix."

The collective souls in heaven all whistle softly and mutter "damnnnn. . ."

RIP, Mitch.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld4wCfNekBM

El_hefe
11-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah He & Moon were the best of that era. I played drums then & Mitch was my biggest influence, pushed me towards the jazzier style of playing. So much better than the others then, was really saddened when I saw that obit on the subway today. They're all gone.....

Bone Dry
11-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah He & Moon were the best of that era. I played drums then & Mitch was my biggest influence, pushed me towards the jazzier style of playing. So much better than the others then, was really saddened when I saw that obit on the subway today. They're all gone.....

Two of the greats, Moon and Mitchell. I believe there is a movie coming out next year about K. Moon with Mike Myers in the lead role?

horndog
11-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Oh shit! :(

I logged on to get hot and bothered only to see this... I hadn't heard he died.

I'll just add that of the ROCK drummers from the sixties through seventies, two stand out as the tastiest, one was Mitch Mitchell, and the other was Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy. Listen to his drum work on Thin Lizzy's Bad Reputation album. Phenomenal.

Ginger Baker maybe a close third. Moon, Bonham and yes, Lombardo later on, were all great "heavy" drummers. They had (have) none of the finesse that Mitchell and Downey possessed. Just my humble opinion.

RIP man...

MrsKellyPierce
11-15-2008, 04:09 AM
omg I thought this said Mandy Mitchell I about cried, I would of been so sad.

I mean of course this guy dying is sad to but you know lol

tg4me
11-15-2008, 04:17 AM
You don't have to play anymore. Just sample someone elses music and release a single.
I have many fave drummers, but Lenny White from Return to Forever was my fave.

I agree that "Fire", might be the best showcase for Mitch. RIP

leckery5
11-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Mitch was actually a phenomenal drummer, mixing rock and Jazz. i understand he even played with Miles Davis