PDA

View Full Version : Is Your TV Set to Go Digital?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-22-2008, 11:50 PM
The 2009 national switch

According to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), there are an estimated 36.5 million HDTV sets in the country--about 30% of U.S. households have an HDTV. The CEA expects 16 million more HD sets will be sold in 2007, which would bring the total to 52.5 million. Still, that's a relatively small number compared with the 248 million traditional TVs in households across the nation, as recorded by the U.S. Census in 2001, the most recent figure available. Despite the undertaking, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) launched a campaign to shift the nation's viewing experience from analog to digital.

In October 2004, FCC Chairman Michael Powell announced the digital television (DTV) consumer education campaign, "DTV--Get it!" This campaign was created to inform the public about the transition to DTV, including the availability of high-definition and other digital content.

"Although for the vast majority of American households digital television may be uncharted territory, we will not let them go it alone," said Powell. "If [consumers] have questions about digital television, the FCC is ready to serve as a primary resource for quick answers. Then we hope they will get DTV—get the set, get the connection, get the content."
If you have a TV, get ready to make a change.

Congress passed a law in February 2006, setting midnight on Feb. 17, 2009, as the date for broadcasters to make the transition.

Apply for a $40.00 coupon:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

~Kisses.

HTG

bubbski
09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Yes it is, and I am already using it to recieve crisp yummy digital Hi Def transmissions with nothing more than rabbit ears.

Needless to say PETA is not happy.

NYBURBS
09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
The interwebs> television

Nowhere
09-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I've always thought this being an 'issue' for people is sort of strange.

Who on earth watches HD with rabbit ears in 2009?

Virtually everyone I know who wants to watch TV has cable / satellite, so they're not affected.

Everyone else just doesn't watch it, so they're not affected.

What's the problem if virtually no one is impacted by it?

slinky
09-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I love my new plasma - Pioneer Elite Kuro

hwbs
09-23-2008, 01:30 PM
damn gotta throw out the rabbit ears ...i do have a built in tuner ...always wanted to see what channels i can snag with a hdtv antenna...

fitz207
09-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Ready to go!

hwbs
09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
there are a lot of stores trying to manipulate the public on thinking they need hdtv's...i think that is why the gov't is making those ads...

sunairco
09-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Sorry, but the whole issue is totally lost on many most folks 55+. You'd be surprised how many of these people still don't get DVD's unless they are autoplay and still don't even comprehend programming a VHS VCR. There's a very real technology gap that many in the 55+ are proudly resisting, refusing to even acknowledge the internet or even trying to accept using a PC. The concept of even using a menu driven consumer product is not only intimidating, they flatly refuse to use something as simple as a cell or cordless phone unless it's virtually idiot proof with a familliar on hook/off hook interface. Translation, that's a lot of people that have the most disposable income that still seem to stubbornly think that the world is going to stand still for them. Many of my contempraries are even refusing to apply for the digital coupons and many don't even have a computer or internet access or have any concept of using a digital camera. An MP3 or Jpeg is an abstract to most of these people and something the "kids" are playing with. There's a huge contingent out there that seems to think that this is all going to go away and it's just a fad. Feburary 17th is going to be a major paradigm shift for a lot of older folks that have chosen to be Luddites with a rude awakening that the digital word is here that they can no longer blissfully ignore. I hope it's a major bitch slap that resounds with the realization that it's time to get with the program.

dj4monie
09-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Ah who cares, if you want to be ignorant then live in your ignorance and don't bother the rest of us with it.

When the switch comes on for full digital and analog is shut-off and later the freq sold for maybe Wi-Fi use (search Google buying up the bands from the FCC), the screens will go dark for many Americans and you know what?

I'll be laughing...

If you have cable of sat service your fine, ready to go.

If you have a HDTV sold after 2005 you have a tuner already, just setup some rabbite ears and all your local channels should be in digital clear spender, looks great! Even your older 480i shows become 480p with Dolby Digital Sound...

All of your Prime Time shows, Sports (Save for the ALMS, CORR off road) is in HD. Your local news, at least in the Los Angeles market is in HD, you have sub-channels they have local newsmaker shows and other content.

Anyway, if they aren't ready, its there OWN fault, its in your newspaper, on TV and unless your a hermit, one of your friends has HD already.

Internet is not better than TV, its better than most NEWS SHOWS I agree but I like moving pictures and too much Internet content is poorly filmed o has too limited bandwith to be clear at larger resolutions. IPTV is coming however, its already in "primetime" in Europe.

Cat and Cable HD is compressed, local signals aren't you can tell the difference.

Okay that's enough, I watch USC vs Ohio State last weekend in HD with nothing more than simple antenna.... Also the Raider game on Sunday on CBS (1080i)

dj4monie
09-26-2008, 03:58 AM
I've always thought this being an 'issue' for people is sort of strange.

Who on earth watches HD with rabbit ears in 2009?

Virtually everyone I know who wants to watch TV has cable / satellite, so they're not affected.

Everyone else just doesn't watch it, so they're not affected.

What's the problem if virtually no one is impacted by it?

I do....

Mostly because using an HD Direct TV box with my Media Center is basically pointless. You only have S-video available as an input, no conponent capture was available then or now, but there's a couple of things on the horizon...

For people with STB (Set Top Boxes) they'll be fine.