PDA

View Full Version : Ticket for riding a bike.............

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-09-2008, 05:13 AM
thought you might find this funny

I got a ticket while riding through Flushing on Northern Blvd. & Parsons in NY. The cop car pulls up asking me where I lived, asked me if I had ID (why I carried ID was beyond me). Apparently it's illegal to ride your mountain bike on the sidewalk in NYC, even if there's construction trucks laying down new cement in the right lane................. the cops said they really didn't want to give me the ticket but their sergeant (I love this part) told them to go out and specifically ticket folks riding bikes on sidewalks. Mind you 3 Asians rode past me on bikes on the same sidewalk to avoid the construction trucks during this cops little rant. To be honest I call racial profiling, the cop that wrote the ticket was all into my bike, I guess he thought I stole it, and he was shocked at where I lived after I verbally said it to him then it was confirmed on my i.d. Go figure!

I laughed it off and passed it to my lawyer, she told me she had a client get one last year...........for riding his bike in Central Park!!!!!!

no way am I paying it, I just thought it was the silliest thing I'd ever gotten a ticket for and had to share it with my fellow HA'ers.

JWBL

flabbybody
09-09-2008, 05:25 AM
that whole area sucks, LE wise
my aunt lives off Kissena Blvd . I don't drive there anymore

NYBURBS
09-09-2008, 06:35 AM
It's a retarded ticket, but tbh he might have been telling you the truth. Especially in the city with their emphasis on statistics, the cops get their balls broken if they don't write a certain number of tickets each month; which types of tickets can change depending on the flavor of the month with higher ups.

Either way, municipalities use tickets as a form of revenue far more than as a means of ensuring public safety. It's reasonable that people not ride on a sidewalk, that they should be ticketed for going around construction is a bit far out there.

NYC is a bit ridiculous with many of its traffic laws, like the fines imposed for minor parking violations. It's part of the reason I tend to avoid going into the city unless I really need to.

GroobySteven
09-09-2008, 06:37 AM
:-)

blckhaze
09-09-2008, 06:43 AM
thought you might find this funny

I got a ticket while riding through Flushing on Northern Blvd. & Parsons in NY. The cop car pulls up asking me where I lived, asked me if I had ID (why I carried ID was beyond me). Apparently it's illegal to ride your mountain bike on the sidewalk in NYC, even if there's construction trucks laying down new cement in the right lane................. the cops said they really didn't want to give me the ticket but their sergeant (I love this part) told them to go out and specifically ticket folks riding bikes on sidewalks. Mind you 3 Asians rode past me on bikes on the same sidewalk to avoid the construction trucks during this cops little rant. To be honest I call racial profiling, the cop that wrote the ticket was all into my bike, I guess he thought I stole it, and he was shocked at where I lived after I verbally said it to him then it was confirmed on my i.d. Go figure!

I laughed it off and passed it to my lawyer, she told me she had a client get one last year...........for riding his bike in Central Park!!!!!!

no way am I paying it, I just thought it was the silliest thing I'd ever gotten a ticket for and had to share it with my fellow HA'ers.

JWBL

aint it fun being black?

Thatiger23
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
well johnny i guess next time just ride the bike over the cop car lol j/k or am i lol

Trogdor
09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
We got way to many pointless laws. Just to get the pigs ticket quotas up.....and the idea of there ven BEING ticket/arrest quotas is smegging silly to begin with.

Law enforcement.....just another business.

Intrepid
09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
:-)

LOL!!! Good one Senchai

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
well johnny i guess next time just ride the bike over the cop car lol j/k or am i lol

I actually could have and not missed a beat

celticgrafix
09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
that is some bullshit man

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-09-2008, 05:40 PM
both of my traffic lawyers (here in NY you need one for Long Island and one for the city) cracked the fuck up for about 10 mins on this bullshit

my bike shop owner told me to contact
http://www.madeofwin.org/images/633px-Al_Sharpton_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Alyssa87
09-09-2008, 05:49 PM
i DO love me some Sharpton.lol

sooo how much is the ticket for?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
it doesn't say
No NY $45 surcharge
no fines for speeding, stop sign, etc.

weird ass ticket

blckhaze
09-09-2008, 06:29 PM
both of my traffic lawyers (here in NY you need one for Long Island and one for the city) cracked the fuck up for about 10 mins on this bullshit

my bike shop owner told me to contact
http://www.madeofwin.org/images/633px-Al_Sharpton_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Awwwww hell nah lol

Dinand
09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
JW who is the girl in you avatar, that's one of the greatest butt I have ever seen!

BeardedOne
09-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I've only encountered odd NY traffic cop behaviour once, shortly after I'd repossessed one of those little ratty-ass Ranger pick-em-ups for/from my ex (Long story, but I got to keep the sorry little POS until someone mercifully rear-ended it at a stoplight while one of TW's beaus du jour was driving it).

I was on one of the parkways (I forget which, perhaps the Henry Hudson), where trucks are not allowed because of the many low clearances and tight curves. Now, any sane individual would allow that a Ford Ranger, which is smaller than an Oldsmobile station wagon, is a bit of a stretch from the concept of 'truck' as was intended by the DPW when they forbade such from the parkways for safety concerns. NYPD did not agree and one of them came up alongside, twittered the siren and strobes, and signaled for me to follow him off at the next exit. He took the exit and I arrived back in Delawhere about three hours later. He may still be waiting at the top of that ramp for me to come and get my ticket. 8)

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I've only encountered odd NY traffic cop behaviour once, shortly after I'd repossessed one of those little ratty-ass Ranger pick-em-ups for/from my ex (Long story, but I got to keep the sorry little POS until someone mercifully rear-ended it at a stoplight while one of TW's beaus du jour was driving it).

I was on one of the parkways (I forget which, perhaps the Henry Hudson), where trucks are not allowed because of the many low clearances and tight curves. Now, any sane individual would allow that a Ford Ranger, which is smaller than an Oldsmobile station wagon, is a bit of a stretch from the concept of 'truck' as was intended by the DPW when they forbade such from the parkways for safety concerns. NYPD did not agree and one of them came up alongside, twittered the siren and strobes, and signaled for me to follow him off at the next exit. He took the exit and I arrived back in Delawhere about three hours later. He may still be waiting at the top of that ramp for me to come and get my ticket. 8)

I hear ya B1, great story. These dudes cut me off (actually they cut 2 passenger vehicles off) my shop owner definitely thinks they'd have tried to take my bike if I didnt have id. My lawyer is on it, I refuse to miss a day of work to go laugh in court over this shit.

Paladin
09-10-2008, 06:30 AM

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if it's not a "car" then it doesn't belong on the tristate area "parkways" After all pickups, surburan uhttack vehicles, vans, etc do NOT have to meet car MPG standards and hence thay are NOT cars.

But that it just too funny, what a dumbass cop

Back in 1992, my then new LeSabre was broken into on an NYC street. basicaly they tore out the door lock. It took a couple weeks to get it scheduled for repair and in the meantime I taped up hole. Wouldn't you know it an NYC cop evenually stopped me and made me show him my keys to the car !?! Like where the hell were they when the assholes were breaking into my car :evil: