PDA

View Full Version : Batman

hondarobot
06-20-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm going to see Batman Begins tomarrow, anyone see it yet?

I always liked that guy, he wasn't even really a super hero, just a hard hitting, two fisted elite detective.

My favorite comic book moment was one time when the Joker had Batman captured and his henchmen ask "Boss? Can we take off his mask? We wanna see his face."

The Joker just looks at them in disbelief and says "You idiots! That is his face!"

Great moment.

Felicia Katt
06-20-2005, 02:55 AM
I saw it last nite. Its very good. dark and cynical and not at all cartoonish. Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors, and I think he has the best physique and personna of any of the on screen Batmans.

2 paws up LOL

Felicia

blckhaze
06-20-2005, 03:00 AM
so wut is BAtman REALLY like, ms. Kattwoman

hondarobot
06-20-2005, 03:25 AM
From what I've heard and read so far, it is very dark and fits what a kick ass Batman story should be. I'm looking forward to it.

And I don't know if that scene was from Dark Knight Returns, although now that I think of it I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Great scene in Dark Knight Returns:

Despite all his opponents raw power, Batman finally ends up dropping Superman to the ground. He's got his (heavily body armored) foot on Supermans neck and says,

"Remember the man who beat you, Clarke."

The Batmans heart stops and he "dies" (although it's all a ruse in the end), because he just had the living hell kicked out of him.

Very powerful scene, if your a comic book geek (which I'm really not) but I know what I like.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-20-2005, 03:31 AM
by far the best Batman movie ever done
I enjoyed every moment of it, which says alot, there are some movies you just want to skip certain scenes watching, not this one, you knew the plot from the comics but the way they did it was incredible.........
and the batmobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn

Quinn
06-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Definitely looking forward to seeing it this week. Bale is one of my favorite actors. His performances in The Mechanic and American Psycho were masterful to say the least. I’m glad to hear that this one is darker and less cartoonish because the last few Batman movies were more like Darkwing Duck than the Dark Knight.

flabbybody
06-20-2005, 04:06 AM
who was the original Catwoman from the TV show? man, she was hot. the one before Eartha Kitt.

Realgirls4me
06-20-2005, 04:17 AM
I was such a huge fan of the Batman TV series growing up, that I never went to see any the movies that have come out in the last 10(?) years. They were more like cartoons geared for children (They actually were), and it would have been sacriligious of me to have seen them to say the least. And, in my humble opinion, no actor -- no one -- will ever top Cesar Romero as the Joker. What a villain! He should have had his own series back then imho. :)

On that note, I am also looking forward to seeing this movie. I can't wait to see it! The movie critic from the local daily rag who rarely seems to like ANYTHING, absolutely endorses this one. Coincendentally, on a down note, this movie is coming out at a time when another of my favorite (cartoon) 60's TV series is coming out -- "The Fantastic Four". I haven't read any reviews on it yet, but my guess is that their target audience is the same one the first Batman movies aimed for, kids. :(

Who's the blonde starring in FF (What's she been in ?)? I heard she's a hottie. :)

Realgirls4me
06-20-2005, 04:19 AM
Flabby,

Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar (The best legs on the planet at the time), and that former Miss America, whose name I can't think of at the moment. Hmmmm, she also starred on Barnaby Jones.

Felicia Katt
06-20-2005, 04:27 AM
who was the original Catwoman from the TV show? man, she was hot. the one before Eartha Kitt.

Julie Newmar, one of my idols!!! Lee Meriwether was the Catwoman who was on Barnaby Jones.

meow

Felicia

Felicia Katt
06-20-2005, 04:31 AM
Who's the blonde starring in FF (What's she been in ?)? I heard she's a hottie. :)

Jessica Alba (who's usually a brunette)

Felicia

hillbilly
06-20-2005, 04:37 AM
i'm in the minority in that i thought Batman was too slow and could have been even a bit darker. i felt completely detached i think in part because of the length. that first fight scene at the docks was pretty scary actually. i wish that the rest of the movie could have sustained more of that quality.

Uncut
06-20-2005, 04:44 AM
Big BATMAN FAN I saw it and stayed to see it again GREAT MOVIE.

Realgirls4me
06-20-2005, 04:56 AM
By he way, Frank Gorshin, who played the original Riddler in the 60's TV series rcently passed away.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0331319/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxsbT01MDB8dHQ9MXxmYj11fHBuPT B8cT1GcmFuayBHb3JzaGlufGh0bWw9MXxubT0x;fc=1;ft=20

... Does this new Batman have sequel written on it ? Like perhaps how he hooks up with Robin, among other things ?

Ecstatic
06-20-2005, 05:09 AM
I remember both those scenes, Honda, though not which comic the first one appeared in. Dark Knight Returns was a watershed moment in comix history. And Angela, I suggest picking up The Killing Joke, which was also one of the best Batman graphic novels ever. I'd say more, but I wouldn't want to give it away.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but likely will this week. I'm actually looking forward more to (and therefore more likely to be disappointed by) The Fantastic Four: Jessica Alba is cool, but Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm/The Thing and Julian McMahon as Dr Doom should be excellent.

Ecstatic
06-20-2005, 05:13 AM
flabbybody, Julie Newmar was the original Catwoman on the TV series, though I liked both her and Eartha Kitt's takes a lot (as different as they were). And Realgirls, the hot blonde in the FF is Jessica Alba, who is probably best known for her role as Dark Angel in the TV series of that title which ran for two seasons a few years back. The first season was excellent, and kept the mystery going, but the second season was a travesty and it deserved cancellation at that point.

Realgirls4me
06-20-2005, 07:12 AM
flabbybody, Julie Newmar was the original Catwoman on the TV series, though I liked both her and Eartha Kitt's takes a lot (as different as they were). And Realgirls, the hot blonde in the FF is Jessica Alba, who is probably best known for her role as Dark Angel in the TV series of that title which ran for two seasons a few years back. The first season was excellent, and kept the mystery going, but the second season was a travesty and it deserved cancellation at that point.

I never did care for Eartha's version of the Catwoman, although her "purr" was certainly a cut above all the rest.

Speaking of the Catwoman, I'm still trying to figure out who it is that is advising Halle Berry on taking roles, such as that trainwreck of a movie she starred in as Catwoman last year (Since when did Catwoman go from villian to heroine ?). Luckily for Berry fans, she took the panning of that movie all in stride, up to actually accepting a Raspberry Award for it. That flick was the worst!

TheGuard
06-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Saw Batman on Friday, absolutely the best movie I've seen all year, even for those that dislike the genre, comic films, it is still worth a viewing, simply a great movie first that just happens to be about batman, supporting cast superb, Christian Bale one of the best actor working today.

Realgirls4me
06-20-2005, 08:02 AM
What was Christian Bale in before this ? I really need to watch something other than Three Stooges clips ya know.

... I really hope this new Fantastic Four movie isn't a letdown. The consensus here seems to be that Batman is a winner. :)

JV-1
06-20-2005, 08:06 AM
I know he was in American Psycho and a weird movie called Equilibriam.

NYCe
06-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Equilibriam was a weird movie indeed.

Felicia Katt
06-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Equilibrium is the product of a gene splice between the Matrix, 1984, and Farenheit 451.

I liked it. But with Christian Bale and Taye Diggs, what wasn't there to like?? LOL

Felicia

Ecstatic
06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I never did care for Eartha's version of the Catwoman, although her "purr" was certainly a cut above all the rest.

Speaking of the Catwoman, I'm still trying to figure out who it is that is advising Halle Berry on taking roles, such as that trainwreck of a movie she starred in as Catwoman last year (Since when did Catwoman go from villian to heroine ?). Luckily for Berry fans, she took the panning of that movie all in stride, up to actually accepting a Raspberry Award for it. That flick was the worst!
I think that Kitt and Newmar each brought something quite different but very entertaining to Catwoman, and she certainly had a great purr.

The movie was definitely flawed, but for all that I still enjoyed Berry's performance in and of itself. Michelle Pfieffer's Catwoman may be my favorite, though: psychologically damaged no doubt, her character was nicely ambiguous.

Which is also the case with the Catwoman in the comix, Real. Even back in the 50s and 60s she had a certain ambivalence, and in the 90s and beyond, as the trend to examining shades of grey rather than stark black and white stereotypes in villains in comix progressed, she became one of the best ambivalent characters around. Her closest match on TV is probably Amanda ("Raven") from Highlander and Raven TV shows, the 1200-year-old immortal who is one of the greatest thiefs in the world (a criminal, like Selina Kyle) but who also helps the innocent (if it doesn't cost her too much) and would never kill indiscriminately. And very nicely portrayed by the beautiful Liz Gracen.

The original hero-villain was probably Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner, who was both hero and villain all along. And of course Han Solo, whose character was eternally weakened by Lucas' ill-considered choice of having Greedo shoot first: much better character in the original release when Solo acts pre-emptively and shoots Greedo.

Sheesh, I sound like a fanboy. Better stfu and get back to work.

flabbybody
06-20-2005, 04:31 PM
when I was a kid watching the show, I always wondered if Batman ever got to fuck Catwoman (the Julie Newmar one). I'm not sure Batman would have allowed himself to come under her spell. Sorta like the Superman-Lois Lane debate.

Then there was the story going around my school that Batman and Robin were homo lovers. Who's starts this stuff? (I think it was me)

flabbybody
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
my previous post earned me 43.35 points. how do I get it up to 44 even?

Ecstatic
06-20-2005, 05:21 PM
The Batman and Robin homo rumor was started on HA by Absolute Shade. (Just kidding, Shade!)

I think of late Batman and Catwoman have been having an affair. I don't follow the comix, so I could be offbase there, but that's what I've heard. Seems appropriate.

Bigguy
06-20-2005, 05:27 PM
my previous post earned me 43.35 points. how do I get it up to 44 even?
I think it is 25 points per post plus .05 per each character entered. So if it was another 13 characters longer it would have been 44 even.

Ecstatic
06-20-2005, 05:55 PM
But do we know yet what the points earn us? And isn't a concise post which hits the nail squarely on the head worth more than a long, rambling, disjointed, befuddled, confused, ambivalent, wordy, extraneously elongated, filibustering, incomprehensibly comprehensive, antidisestablishmentantarianistically exaggerated, loooooooooooooooong (okay, so I'm reaching) post?

Whew.

Ecstatic
06-20-2005, 05:57 PM
P.S. I got no points for that, since I always seem to be exceeding the alloted number of posts...you mean they don't want us to post? Are they trying to reduce traffic? I get 37.35 (or whatever) points, then 55, then 43.45, then 98, then wham! I've exceeded the alloted number of posts. Meanwhile, Vicki is cruising upwards of 5000 points....

hondarobot
06-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Come on Ecstatic, you don't actually believe you'll beat Vicki in whatever this point thing is. Whatever the deal is, I'm fairly certain she figured it out already.

Oooh, that reminds me, I gotta check on my fantasy baseball team, see if they've hit rock bottom yet.

:)

Bigguy
06-20-2005, 07:29 PM
But do we know yet what the points earn us?
I thought the first one to hit 2000 points got to stroke Vicki. Being that she was the first one do hit that amount, I guess it's just businness as usual for her. :lol:

hondarobot
06-21-2005, 12:36 AM
I saw it, and I liked it. It's not without it's flaws, but I think this is the beginning of a pretty damn good series of movies.

My favorite part:

(WARNING! Movie Spoilers if you haven't seen it)

After being shown the city's water supply being dosed with hallucinogens, realising she's probably about to be killed, dosed herself on said hallucinogens, freaked out by a guy with a burlap sack on his head, present for a brutal fight scene, surrounded by a swarm of bats, hoisted around by a guy with grappling hook guns, then taken on a high speed chase inside a tank-like super car driven by a guy dressed as a bat, Batman tells the girl to "Just stay calm!"

Sure, no problem 8)

Ecstatic
06-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Come on Ecstatic, you don't actually believe you'll beat Vicki in whatever this point thing is. Whatever the deal is, I'm fairly certain she figured it out already.
There's only one way I want to beat Vicki....and only if it's mutual....

She's a smart kid, she's probably devised an algorithm using one of her supercomputers which calculates the length of post, the value of quoting another post, the subject matter, and the time interval between posting to maximize her point value: she pwns me! (is that the term? I'm not a gamer, but I know she is).

partlycloudy
06-21-2005, 05:41 AM
http://img203.echo.cx/img203/1049/pwned0cs.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Ecstatic
06-21-2005, 05:59 AM
:twisted:

Bigguy
06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
:lol: :lol:

blckhaze
06-21-2005, 06:01 AM
lol

Vicki Richter
06-21-2005, 07:46 AM
I thought the first one to hit 2000 points got to stroke Vicki. Being that she was the first one do hit that amount, I guess it's just businness as usual for her. :lol:

I somehow missed this thread. That's pretty funny. Wanna make out?

Vicki Richter
06-21-2005, 07:48 AM

Oooh, that reminds me, I gotta check on my fantasy baseball team, see if they've hit rock bottom yet.

:)

I don't know how much lower they can go. I pissed off Ashley in there by calling BS on her crappy trade though. I know that much.

BTW - they capped my points in here or I'd be well over 5000. I am saving for a copy of One Night in Paris.

Realgirls4me
06-21-2005, 08:53 AM

Yes!

Yes!!

Yes!!!

... Hell, just being asked by a woman such as you can become the biggest turn-on, Vicki. You go, girl!

(Begins packing and after that, will start hitting Travelocity for inexpensive air fares)

hondarobot
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
You just wait and see. My team is simply gathering their strength right now, preparing to launch their spectacular come-back.

8)

Bigguy
06-22-2005, 02:03 AM

Hmmmm, wanna come to nyc? :D

Felicia Katt
06-22-2005, 02:55 AM
that was great, Ecstatic! LOL I love it when people show their creativity and imagination here.

Felicia

Ecstatic
06-22-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks, Felicia. It was fun. And in the spirit of disclosure, here's one more edit, with my real face superimposed. Obviously, I'm finding Vicki very distracting...and she's just coolly licking her lollypop, so casually confident. :lol:

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-22-2005, 03:40 AM
ok...................................back to the movie

flabbybody
06-22-2005, 05:03 AM
how do you guys do all this shit on the computer?

Ecstatic
06-22-2005, 05:33 AM
uhh...too much time on our hands?

Realgirls4me
07-06-2005, 05:30 AM
I finally got around to seeing it today (at a matinee price too!). I really enjoyed it, and yes, it looks like a sequel is a given. ...I'm glad it wasn't written with children in mind as were the previous Batman theatrical offerings, and Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were excellent in their roles.

I did miss the first few minutes due to the guy at the ticket booth being out of singles, so will someone who has ACTUALLY seen it please fill in the first few minutes up to the part where he is picking some flower in the cold tundra ?
...No jokes or tales about some beautiful TS being a muse for Bruce Wayne's actions at tht point, huh ? ;)

Realgirls4me
07-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Lessee, almost a hundred hits to this thread since I first posted my question a few hours ago, and not one has bothered responding ? Out of those hundred hits NOT ONE has seen the movie ?

Why so many lurkers on this site ? Come aboard, guys!