PDA

View Full Version : Commentator suspended over 'lynch Tiger'

Legend
01-10-2008, 12:27 PM
A GOLF commentator on US cable television has been suspended after suggesting Tiger Woods' competitors could "lynch him in a back alley".

American black activist Al Sharpton demanded Kelly Tilghman be fired immediately over the comment about Woods, a black player, during an exchange with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship last week.

The Golf Channel said it didn't know who would replace Tilghman for coverage this week at the Sony Open or next week at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic, the Asociated Press reported.

"There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this,'' the Golf Channel said in announcing the suspension.

Faldo and Tilghman were discussing young players who could challenge the world's No. 1 player when Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up for a while".

"Lynch him in a back alley,'' Tilghman replied.

The Golf Channel said that while it believed Tilghman's choice of words was inadvertent and she did not intend them to be offensive, "the words were hurtful and grossly inappropriate".

"Consequently, we have decided to suspend Kelly for two weeks, effective immediately.''

Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent at IMG, said it was a non-issue and considered the matter "case closed".

"Tiger and Kelly are friends, and Tiger has a great deal of respect for Kelly,'' he said.

"Regardless of the choice of words used, we know unequivocally that there was no ill-intent in her comments.''
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23032561-12335,00.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg7sZs86mLc

I could be wrong here but personally i think she was trying to make a joke and used some poorly choice words. I don't think it was meant to be a racial slur but overall firing her seems a bit harsh though.

KiraHarden
01-10-2008, 02:53 PM
:shock: I'm sorry she deserved to lose her job. I find nothing humorous (edit) in that statement.

Mr_Choc69
01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Making a bad joke is no excuse. Perhaps her "time off" will give her time to examine her vocabulary. Which I would have thought she would have done already being that she is an announcer for a televised event.

thx1138
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
A worse fate than a "lynching": Tiger's competitors stealing his balls.

a994
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
The Golf Channel should have suspended her as soon as she uttered that stupid comment. There's no place for lynching jokes directed toward or about people of African descent (or anyone else for that matter). And she should have known better.

ezed
01-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Tiger said he didn't find the comment offensive. The two of them are actually close friends.

DJ_Asia
01-13-2008, 05:50 AM
What a friggin joke!Its on par with a statement the late Howard Cosell made on monday night football for which the legendary sportscaster was fired.

From Wikipedia:

Cosell drew criticism during one Monday Night Football telecast in September 1983, for stating "look at that little monkey go," when he referred to a play by black receiver Alvin Garrett of the Washington Redskins regarding a run after a reception. While some saw "little monkey" as a racial slur, others who knew Cosell were quick to point out that he used this term routinely in an approving way to describe quicker, smaller players of all ethnicities. Among the evidence adduced to support this claim is video footage of a 1972 preseason game, between the New York Giants and the Kansas City Chiefs, during which Cosell refers to Mike Adamle, a 5-foot-9-inch, 197-pound caucasian male, as a "little monkey."

This golf reporter couldve used better judgement in choosing her words,but the world has gotten so PC its disgusting.

ezed
01-13-2008, 06:55 AM
What a friggin joke!Its on par with a statement the late Howard Cosell made on monday night football for which the legendary sportscaster was fired.

From Wikipedia:

Cosell drew criticism during one Monday Night Football telecast in September 1983, for stating "look at that little monkey go," when he referred to a play by black receiver Alvin Garrett of the Washington Redskins regarding a run after a reception. While some saw "little monkey" as a racial slur, others who knew Cosell were quick to point out that he used this term routinely in an approving way to describe quicker, smaller players of all ethnicities. Among the evidence adduced to support this claim is video footage of a 1972 preseason game, between the New York Giants and the Kansas City Chiefs, during which Cosell refers to Mike Adamle, a 5-foot-9-inch, 197-pound caucasian male, as a "little monkey."

This golf reporter couldve used better judgement in choosing her words,but the world has gotten so PC its disgusting.

Agreed!

KiraHarden
01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Tiger said he didn't find the comment offensive. The two of them are actually close friends.
What comments does he ever find offensive ?

Mr_Choc69
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM

From Wikipedia:

PC Huh? Ok....Well. The next time you see a group of Black Men standing somewhere - go up to them and call them Monkeys or make a Lynch joke/comment. Let me know if that works out for you.....I am going to bet that they will find it offensive.

DJ_Asia
01-23-2008, 02:12 PM

From Wikipedia:

PC Huh? Ok....Well. The next time you see a group of Black Men standing somewhere - go up to them and call them Monkeys or make a Lynch joke/comment. Let me know if that works out for you.....I am going to bet that they will find it offensive.

I dont recall this commentator referring to Tiger as a monkey,primate,gorilla,chimp or any other derivitive thereof.

As I stated previously she chose a poor verb to use,but it wasnt racially motivated.

Curious as to why Barack Obama can make a statement regarding Bill Clinton's dancing ability and whether it was up to snuff to call him "a brother" is viewed as a joke,but if Hillary were to use the exact same language it would be racially insensitive??