View Full Version : This is SOOO Wrong

DJ_Asia
01-05-2008, 06:27 AM
This is SO fucked up...Im speechless

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080105/ap_on_re_us/missing_dog_extortion_3;_ylt=AitVM30nLqecRwDYujF1S JkE1vAI

PHILADELPHIA - A telephone call at midnight normally would have awoken Bill Whiting, but he hadn't been sleeping much since his dog disappeared. He picked up the phone and couldn't believe what he heard.

Children were demanding $600 or else they would kill Edna, his beloved beagle mix. Whiting listened in horror to what sounded like the jingle of Edna's collar, and an animal yelping in pain. He agreed to pay the ransom.

"You don't understand, mister," a boy replied. "I want to kill your dog anyway."

What happened to Edna remains a mystery, but Philadelphia police have charged a 15-year-old with harassment, terroristic threats, theft by extortion and other counts for allegedly calling Whiting. Police have yet to find the dog.

Authorities gave no immediate explanation for how they traced the call.

"I've had tears today a couple of times. I don't see any happy news in this," a heartbroken Whiting said Friday. "I don't have a dog coming back, apparently." He also said he believes at least two children were involved.

Edna had been Whiting's constant companion for more than 10 years. The 57-year-old employee of the University of Pennsylvania's archaeology museum described Edna as a gentle dog that loved children and had been a therapy animal at nursing homes and hospitals.

Edna vanished on Halloween, after Whiting and the dog walked from his home in Philadelphia to a friend's house. Whiting thinks she slipped out into the unfamiliar neighborhood while the door was open for trick-or-treaters.

Frantic, he looked for hours, then printed up "Missing Dog" posters and plastered them around the neighborhood. The posters contained his cell phone number and offered a $500 reward.

Ten days after the dog disappeared, Whiting received the midnight call on his cell phone from a youth who demanded $600. Then a younger boy got on the phone and apparently began abusing an animal.

Whiting said he didn't recognize the yelps, since he had never heard Edna hurt before, but detected the sound of her collar, which had numerous tags and "jangled like a charm bracelet."

He begged them not to hurt the dog, and simultaneously dialed police from his land line.

Whiting went to a police station in the middle of the night to make a report. When he returned home a few hours later, his land line rang almost immediately. "We killed your dog," the voice said. "It's dead."

Whiting began to believe the children really did have Edna, since the land line phone number was only on the dog's tags, not the poster.

"I became hysterical," he said. "I started to tremble."

Police worked for weeks on tracing the calls, whose numbers came up as unavailable on Whiting's Caller ID. Publicity led to an outpouring of support for Whiting and rage against the perpetrators; rewards were offered by animal advocacy groups.

On Dec. 30, police arrested the 15-year-old, who was released to his family for a hearing Jan. 31.

justatransgirl
01-05-2008, 07:19 AM
That is so sad. And I was having a pretty good time tonight.

I hope they throw those kids in the slammer with Vick.

What the FL is wrong with people these days.

Now I'm all depressed.

Sigh,
TS Jamie :-(

GroobySteven
01-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Little fuckers.

DJ_Asia
01-05-2008, 07:27 AM
That is so sad. And I was having a pretty good time tonight.

I hope they throw those kids in the slammer with Vick.

What the FL is wrong with people these days.

Now I'm all depressed.

Sigh,
TS Jamie :-(

Sorry love...kinda started my day off on a fucked up note too.

CORVETTEDUDE
01-05-2008, 07:28 AM
They should stick the ass of that 15 YO throught the bars of a zoo cage and let a Siberian Tiger chew on it for a while. That little fuckin' piece of shit!!! :frustrated

Ecstatic
01-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Disgusting. It's sad that some kids are like that. I knew a kid in high school (lo, some 40 years ago) who was infamous for cruelty to animals (tying firecrackers to cats' tails and shit like that). Uggh.

s-fme
01-05-2008, 07:37 AM
If someone did that to my dog.... as soon as I found out who it was, i'd probably kill them. No joke, no trial.... 15 or not, they'd pay. A little coating of polypropylene, benzene and gasoline..... and he'd harm no animal again. It may sound cruel..... but it would sure send a message!

marissaazts
01-05-2008, 08:05 AM
id of killed the little fuck

xfiver
01-05-2008, 08:19 AM
my dog's been pissing me off all day, barking his head off whenever i let him out in the yard...i think i'll go give him a biscuit now for being such a good watch dog.

people that hurt animals should be subject to the same corresponding penalty for harming human beings.

fuck.

TheGuard
01-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Seems like maybe the beginnings of a serial killer...

Fuck those little assholes.

Mugai_hentaisha
01-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I would kill the kid in front of god if it happened to me.

chefmike
01-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Those are some sick fucks.

Oli
01-05-2008, 09:37 AM

That's what I was thinking.

TheLongChodeAhead
01-05-2008, 09:46 AM

Animal abuse at a younger age is a very telling sign psychologically speaking... they should just gas him now he'll just be back later

johnb
01-05-2008, 09:50 AM
not reading many of the replies, but...how many people are shot to death in this town, and why isn't there an outrage every time it happens? because most of the people shot to death in this town are negroes. it appears we hold dogs in a higher esteem. by the way, i'm as white as it gets.

s-fme
01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Simple answer.... as human beings, we are capable of horrible attrocities, no matter what colour you are. What the fuck is a puppy like that gonna do to hurt society?? If a person dies, we don't know if they were a good person, or a bad person and in this day and age, everyone is guilty of something. Maybe not to the degree of deserving death.... but no one is completley innocent, we've all hurt someone. How many dogs can you think of that have done anything but bark at someone? Its the senceless death of the truly innocent that brings an uprising.

ggg321
01-05-2008, 10:14 AM
not reading many of the replies, but...how many people are shot to death in this town, and why isn't there an outrage every time it happens? because most of the people shot to death in this town are negroes. it appears we hold dogs in a higher esteem. by the way, i'm as white as it gets.

You're obviously as white as it gets when you're using a word like 'negroes'.

Many of the people getting shot everyday are gang members, people into drugs, or otherwise living a sketchy lifestyle. I feel no sympathy in these situations because people are asking to get shot when they live these sorts of lives.

Of course there are innocent people that get murdered in cases of robbery and such. I personally am outraged when I hear these stories.

On the other hand it is absolutely disgusting that somebody would torture and kill an innocent animal for fun. If this doesn't bother you, you must be somewhat sick in the head yourself.

ShadowMaster
01-05-2008, 10:14 AM
If I caught those little shits I'd whip the piss out of them! I wouldn't kill them but any time I got the notion to beat them down for a bad day I would. Everytime I saw them those little shits it'd be a misunderstanding.

Well John these reason this got press is how often do you hear some inept runts jacking a pooch! The truth is John people have been desensitized to violence for years so that's why it got press for the sheer strangeness of it all. But I agree the lack equity of justice is a serious problem. Because the lack of equal of justice and disproportionate application of punishment has been commonplace since the creation of this country. Most people don't think about it. Until as a whole in the nation see that injustice for a group of people is an injustice to all of us. Unconsciously we're telling generations to come that some people are more important others by a virtue of birth or economics. I think a simple start would be reevaluating how children are taught history. How many people know anything about the Native Americans groups that once occupied the land they now live on? Many are oblivious to thought that over 95% of the Native population in America was wiped out. Children are taught about the atrocities that took place in America such as but not limited to: Tuskegee Experiement, mass sterilization of invalids, and Japanese internment camps. And that's just in the 20th century. European History is thoroughly and exhaustively covered in school. If there is time leftover maybe China, or Africa. We teach children what we think is important. The lack of concern is the cumulative effect of the sin of omission. My thoughts anyway.

yodajazz
01-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Well put Shadow Master, I have to give you props on that one. And its just your first post.

s-fme
01-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Seems this is a recurring issue. In Edmonton, Alberta this week three teens (one 13 and two 15) were charged with breaking into a home where the owners were on vacation and microwaving their cat to death.....

alpha2117
01-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Serial Killers start out torturing animals .... I say we lock these guys in a dark dank hole and forget about them now, the world will be a better place.

Willie Escalade
01-06-2008, 11:42 AM
They'll get there's eventually...believe that. :evil:

BeardedOne
01-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Just read an update on this in Friday's Daily News. After connecting the kid to the phone records they identified a couple of his friends that have told how he bragged about killing the dog. They have agreed to testify (And one or both may be involved in the extortion attempt).

What gets me is that not only is this worthless little fuck a cruel muthah, but he's a STOOPID cruel muthah. All he had to do was return the dog and take the reward (Which Whiting had offered to double if the dog was returned unharmed). Instead, he offs the dog and has a good chance of being somebody's jail bitch until he's 18.

:roll: :smh