PDA

View Full Version : Best of 2007

Ecstatic
12-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Recap time! One entry per category (though you can list contenders if you want).

1) What's your CD of the year? (2007 releases only)
2) What's your live gig of the year?
3) What's your favorite film release of 2007?
4) What's your book of the year?
5) What event, personal or otherwise was the highlight of your year.

Mine:

1) This is a tough one indeed. Contenders include A Fine Frenzy: One Cell in the Sea, Suzanne Vega: Beauty and Crime, and Joni Mitchell: Shine. But the award goes to Over the Rhine: The Trumpet Child. Brilliant husband-wife duo; if you don't know them, you should. (Style? Cowboy Junkies meet jazz: caberet style jazz, Americana, roots, pop, folk.)

2) OK, this is just about impossible to pick: Over the Rhine, Richie Havens, Les Sampou and Brooks Williams (the bargain of the year: $15 for both), Ferron, Chad & Jeremy, and Carrie Newcomer. But top honors go to Rory Block and John Hammond: Rory doing her Robert Johnson material (which she does better than anyone this side of Eric Clapton), Hammond doing his classic material, and the two playing a set together.

3) OK, an easier one: Enchantment. (But the best movie I saw in 2007 was released a couple of years ago, Pan's Labyrinth.)

4) Blank. Best book I read this year: Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

5) Seeing my small business actually take off and be successful.

Jericho
12-31-2007, 10:43 PM

I don't think i've listened to anything new since 1980! :P

Changes from week to week.

Don't know when they were 1st published, but Bernard Cornwells' "Grail Quest" trilogy.

Visiting rights.

4) Blank. Best book I read this year: Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Great book.
How long did it take for the penny to drop with "Low Key"? :lol:

Ecstatic
12-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Great book.
How long did it take for the penny to drop with "Low Key"? :lol:
The moment I read the name! I also got Wednesday at first glance (Woden's Day). A few others were much more subtle, though. And I just loved the scam that Low Key and Wednesday were running on all the rest.

Gaiman brought a similar twist to Beowulf, which failed for me in some regards (8" stilletos in the 8th century? Not that Angelina doesn't look hot in them), but his twist (it has Gaiman written all over it) over the fatherhood of the dragon was great.

Jericho
01-01-2008, 02:57 AM
The moment I read the name! I also got Wednesday at first glance (Woden's Day). A few others were much more subtle, though. And I just loved the scam that Low Key and Wednesday were running on all the rest.

Quicker than me then.
I was about a quarter of the way through before i had one of those "Heyyy, hold on a minute!" moments! :lol:

btw.
Have you seen Neverwhere?
That's crying out for a decent remake.

Ecstatic
01-01-2008, 03:37 AM
Quicker than me then.
I was about a quarter of the way through before i had one of those "Heyyy, hold on a minute!" moments! :lol:

btw.
Have you seen Neverwhere?
That's crying out for a decent remake.
No, I haven't seen Neverwhere. Slipped by somehow.

What did you think of Stardust? I thought it had some nice Gaiman moments, but was overall too Hollywood by a span and a half.

Jericho
01-01-2008, 04:05 AM
No, I haven't seen Neverwhere. Slipped by somehow.

What did you think of Stardust? I thought it had some nice Gaiman moments, but was overall too Hollywood by a span and a half.

I haven't seen Stardust.
One of those, "oh, i must see that", but still haven't got around to it yet.

If you get the chance though, Neverwhere's definitely worth watching [even if the effects are a bit cheesey]. Especially if you know London at all and catch the place names.

Ecstatic
01-01-2008, 05:16 AM
I haven't seen Stardust.
One of those, "oh, i must see that", but still haven't got around to it yet.

If you get the chance though, Neverwhere's definitely worth watching [even if the effects are a bit cheesey]. Especially if you know London at all and catch the place names.
I don't know London all that well. I've spent about a half year in GB on four separate visits (including a summer session at Trinity College, Oxford) and got into London some, but I mostly focused on West Country, the Lake District, the Cotswold, and Scotland (especially Skye and Edinburgh). We'll see, maybe I remember more than I think.

Willie Escalade
01-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm really feeling Jay-Z's American Gangster. It's going back into my CD changer this week...and I may burn it to my mp3 player as well. I'll be getting the acapella version as well this Friday.

I don't go to too many concerts, but I'll say that I always have a good time at the Long Beach Jazz Festival. Good music and hot babes! The Queen Universe pageant was a lot of fun as well.

Believe it or not, I actually didn't go to any movies this year. Too busy with work!

I bought a lot of car books this year, so I'll chose one of those. It is a book about Chevrolet's Super Sports, both past and present. A close second would be one about Million Dollar Muscle Cars.

Can't really say. I'll have to really think about this one. Bob posting a new set of Devora would be on the list, but not at the top! :lol:

Bluntasaurus-Rex
01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
1) Top 5:
Tomahawk - Anonymous
Between The Buried & Me - Colours
HORSE the band - A Natural Death
Hella - Theres No 666 In Outer Space
Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien

2) Between The Buried & Me / HORSE the band

3)Grindhouse: Planet Terror & Death Proof

4)infinite love is the only truth and everything else is illusion

5)Wrote some stuff that'll eventually end up on an album

penfolder
01-03-2008, 03:04 AM

Pigeon Detectives - Wait for me!

T In The Park, Balado, Scotland. Been going for years but this year was the best yet!

American Gangster

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (Sad I Know)

Scotland doing so well in the football was really good, it gave us back a bit of national pride after the disastrous few years we've had

Irisheyes
01-03-2008, 03:26 AM

Deerhoof - Friendly Opportunity

This is England

not read any new books but best book iv read this year is Americana by Don DeLillo

Gotta be promotion at work annd all the money that goes wit it!