PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have any dirt on Cloverfield

hwbs
12-23-2007, 04:53 AM
movie comes out in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knew more on what the movie is about.

Herkyalert
12-23-2007, 05:06 AM
The trailers look awesome and the marketing of it is genuis. However, it might be a giant letdown, but that's just my gut feeling because it looks almost too cool and doesn't show much.

Back to your question. There have been rumors of Godzilla and Voltron, but I think it's based off the the 1953 movie "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms". In that movie, a monster attacks Coney Island. No proof other that a wild guess on my part. I doubt it's a brand new monster movie.

hondarobot
12-23-2007, 05:28 AM
From what I've heard/saw/read for awhile now, everyone is still having fun with the big secret regarding this one. I'm thinking "Independence Day" type popcorn flick trying to be more clever then it is.

It's shot hand held, at least faked liked that, and involves a huge monster tearing up NYC. I don't think it's attached to any existing franchise, seems like some "new" H.P. Lovecraft type mega monster.

On another subject, "I Am Legend" sucked. There were two good scenes, the rest was so full of stupid stuff I could hardly stand it, IMHO.

"What the hell are you doing here Fred?!" That was one of the two cool scenes. I'll give it that.

Herkyalert
12-23-2007, 05:53 AM
I've heard the Lovecraft rumor as well and agree it's probably based off some monster that's been used in a movie or book before.

hondarobot
12-23-2007, 06:21 AM
It's probably not based on a monster actually used before, just the general idea of a primordial H.P. Lovecraft type "unspeakable horror". Lots of tentacles, I suppose. I imagine the concept is to do a "realistic" Cinema Verite type take on one persons recording of a monster attack on NYC.

It might be good, who knows? Gotta wait to see it.

Mustard_Plug
12-23-2007, 06:38 AM
One of the recent things I heard was that the scales that are scraped from the monster along side buidlings start to morph into little monsters that are about the size of regular humans. Also seems to be some type of infection that comes from the bites of the monsters, hence the scene in the trailer where the doctor yells we got another bite and then showing the person being burned alive.

alpha2117
12-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Go to Aint It Cool News and read Neill Cumpstons very funny review

Neill always goes totally over the top and it's very tongue in cheek but you get a feel for what the film is like.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35100

hondarobot
12-23-2007, 06:59 AM
That review sucked.

"I mean, at this point, the movie’s like a speed freak yelling at you. . ."

That was actually an excellent way to describe that review. Stupid. Although the movie could be stupid as well. Difficult to say.

alpha2117
12-23-2007, 08:05 AM
That review sucked.

"I mean, at this point, the movie’s like a speed freak yelling at you. . ."

That was actually an excellent way to describe that review. Stupid. Although the movie could be stupid as well. Difficult to say.

LOL .... thats the whole point of the review. Neill always goes totally over the top, it's part of the joke. In between the hyperbole you get the basic idea of the plot and how it's done.

bob85
12-23-2007, 09:39 AM
From what I've heard/saw/read for awhile now, everyone is still having fun with the big secret regarding this one. I'm thinking "Independence Day" type popcorn flick trying to be more clever then it is.

It's shot hand held, at least faked liked that, and involves a huge monster tearing up NYC. I don't think it's attached to any existing franchise, seems like some "new" H.P. Lovecraft type mega monster.

On another subject, "I Am Legend" sucked. There were two good scenes, the rest was so full of stupid stuff I could hardly stand it, IMHO.

"What the hell are you doing here Fred?!" That was one of the two cool scenes. I'll give it that.

i actually liked the movie I am Legend so much that i went out and bought the book
WAY DIFFERENT than the movie, but still good so far

when i first came out of the theater i thought it was alright, but the more i thought about it i really did like it

what was the other scene that you really liked?

hondarobot
12-23-2007, 05:48 PM
MOVIE SPOILERS IN THIS POST> DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW DETAILS OF "I AM LEGEND".

The other scene I liked was the "going after the dog in the dark building" one, that was pretty cool. I also liked the glimpse of the "Superman Vs Batman" movie billboard. "I was saving that bacon" was a funny line, I can't bitch about that. That was all good.

This is what I didn't like about "I Am Legend", just lapses of common sense. Yes, I know, it's only a movie. The central flaw here is that the character is in a situation where he literally has every resource available to him on the entire Western Hemisphere (he could have gotten off Manhattan via a boat, traveled around, and returned had he wanted to):

1: His self defense from the ghouls consisted of one full auto rifle, and a couple of handguns. Why not get a flame thrower? Why drive a Shelby instead of a tank? That makes no sense.

2: He lives in a fortified house. He could live anywhere, why not The Federal Reserve Building? That would seem a bit more secure.

3: When they let the ghoul dogs after him, why didn't the ghouls themselves join in the attack? The sun was down and they could venture outside just as easily.

4: His electricity was provided by gasoline generators, but running water probably wouldn't be an option, yet it was.

5: Everything just had a general level of suckishness that could have been easily fixed, but wasn't.

6: They convey his slipping into insanity via the video store scenes. Even "Omega Man" did that better with the one minute "The phones are not ringing!" scene.

Sloppy story telling. I'm just pissed because that could have been a really good movie. Personally, I'm getting back into making cartoons, so I suppose people can also talk shit about the stories I'm going to make. I should probably be careful about what I complain about.

:wink:

bob85
12-23-2007, 07:30 PM
that was a good scene, especially when they escaped

personally, i liked the end, but it didnt make sense to me or my friends

they are able to reason enough to make a trap for him, but when he shows them one of their own they cant reason enough to stop and see what he did which could help them too

hondarobot
12-23-2007, 07:46 PM
I should honestly be doing something more productive then posting on the forum today, but I'm at work right now, so what the hell?

The whole movie was screwed. Here's another example: The ghouls track down his house and one breaks in through a second story window. That ghoul then proceeds to climb to the ceiling and break a hole through the roof to allow the other ghouls inside.

If the ghouls can climb to the roof, why didn't they also just climb up to the broken window? For that matter, if the other ghouls weren't inclined to climb the walls, why didn't the ghoul that got inside just unlock the front door?

I hate movies that do stupid shit. Careless script writing. Bah.

bob85
12-24-2007, 08:38 PM
The ghouls track down his house and one breaks in through a second story window. That ghoul then proceeds to climb to the ceiling and break a hole through the roof to allow the other ghouls inside.

If the ghouls can climb to the roof, why didn't they also just climb up to the broken window? For that matter, if the other ghouls weren't inclined to climb the walls, why didn't the ghoul that got inside just unlock the front door?

yeah, that was a pretty screwy thing

effigyc
12-24-2007, 10:12 PM
that was a good scene, especially when they escaped

personally, i liked the end, but it didnt make sense to me or my friends

they are able to reason enough to make a trap for him, but when he shows them one of their own they cant reason enough to stop and see what he did which could help them too

BOOK SPOILER

From what friends that have read the book have told me, the vampire creatures don't want to turn back. They are actually very intelligent (talk and everything) in the book and have started reconstructing society in their own way.

Since Neville kills so many of them, he is considered a monster by the vampires. He is a boogey man they tell scary stories about. Hence the title I Am Legend (he is a legend to the vampires).

zerrrr
01-20-2008, 04:44 AM
movie comes out in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knew more on what the movie is about.

The Thursday midnight showing at the Lowe's 42nd Street theater had JJ make a surprise guest appearance and the Friday 7:40pm show had the cast in the audience.

It was a blast.