View Full Version : If you were King or Queen of the world...

suckseed
11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
how would you go about making it a better place?

Last night I took a break from the online craziness and was listening to NPR.
They were talking about AFRICOM and Nepal on the news. I got to wondering whether it would be possible, given the power, to 'solve' the world's biggest problems. I care about human beings as well as the planet. The thing is, I think humans are like the mice in my house (bear with me!) If you don't nip a mouse problem in the bud, then soon you're faced with trapping thirty instead of one or two. So...how do you help the poor without the population exploding, creating an even bigger burden, yet still respect individual rights to reproduce?
Technology may solve part of the problem of pollution, global warming, energy, disease and food. But assuming all those were solved, the world's population would explode exponentially. What would the missing pieces of this puzzle be?
Then there's the distribution of wealth. All over the world, a small number of people have the wealth, and there's kids living in the dirt next to open sewers. What are some possible alternatives between the extremes of capitalism and communism?
Then there's the question of getting people to behave more ethically.
I believe that, while we have primal instincts that can be savage and cruel, that people are also capable of being ethical and behaving with common sense. But what could we do to get folks on the right path?
This is all internet jabber I know. But....if you were in the position of making things happen, where would you start?

CORVETTEDUDE
11-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, the first thing I would do is take all the big nasty toys from all the countries that have big nasty toys, and destroy them. All you countries with big nasty toys know who you are!

dgtlmstry
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
"You all may be well-fed, well-clothed, houses, flats, and a nice garden, or live in a slum, but there are millions and millions of people who are starving, deliberately races are being killed, tribes are being killed. And as long as we don't feel all this, but merely accept it as an idea, a conclusion, we are going to create a monstrous world, which we are creating already. And we are that which is happening."

-Krishnamurti

I think that quote says a lot about this topic. Most people are going through life asleep. What we think of as reality isn't real at all. From the moving pictures in our televisions to the person we walk by on the street. Most of our ideas about the world, and the people in it, in fact even about ourselves, are nothing but that...ideas. Yet we treat people, and the planet, as if they are those things. As if we already know all there is to know. As long as we continue to live in our minds, there can never be anything even close to peace and happiness for everyone. The best we can ever do is what we have done, and that is false peace that will eventually fall apart and lead to more of the same. We have to begin to see that we are more than this physical mass, we have to begin to understand that we are all connected. When we realize that, then it really will affect us when the guy down the street is starving, or when a town on the other side of the world has been blown to pieces. Unfortunately as long as we let our egos rule us, expect nothing to change.

Jericho
11-19-2007, 10:39 PM
You can be king or queen for a millenium, you'll never solve the worlds problems as long as there are people on it.

Ooops, slips back into fluffy mode...Tits! :wink:

CORVETTEDUDE
11-19-2007, 10:41 PM
You can be king or queen for a millenium, you'll never solve the worlds problems as long as there are people on it.

There is a common theory that "Pussy" is the root of all evil.

Jericho
11-19-2007, 10:49 PM

There is a common theory that "Pussy" is the root of all evil.

Pussy you say?