View Full Version : American Gangster

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
just watched it
awesome movie
just had to say that

NYCe
11-01-2007, 02:02 PM
The soundtracks (both the OST and the Jay-z "inspired by") versions are awesome as well.

TomSelis
11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
They both come out tommorrow right?

I've been dying to see the movie since I saw the trailer in the summer.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-01-2007, 02:12 PM
dude I'm sending you a pm

hwbs
11-01-2007, 02:13 PM
i was watching it the other day on this youtube type site..had to goto bed so i will have to get back to watching the rest.

Mr_Choc69
11-01-2007, 11:56 PM
just watched it
awesome movie
just had to say that

Advanced showing???

TheOne1
11-01-2007, 11:59 PM
watch-movies.net

Mr_Choc69
11-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Nope - this is one that I MUST see in the theater.

Willie Escalade
11-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Same here...and I have to get Shawn's album as well. If it's anything like "Reasonable Doubt" or "The Blueprint", I'll be a happy camper.

4DegreesWarmer
11-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Yep awesome flick...I had the same "I need to see it in the movies" thought, but couldn't help myself when a I got approached about buying it bootleg...def didn't regret it. Good enough, I could see it again at the theater

elvis_p
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
just watched it
awesome movie
just had to say that

Advanced showing???

A "screener" leak hit the web a week ago (Halle Berry's newest too, Things We Lost in the Fire). Aside from a brightness issue, the quality was very good.

I agree...excellent flick (though the ending seemed too tidy), awesome music.

New York magazine feature on Frank Lucas here:
http://nymag.com/nymag/features/3649/

TJT
11-02-2007, 10:18 AM
BET did an hour long special on Frank Lucas the other night.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-02-2007, 11:09 AM

lol, I love replies like this

you go to the theater and suffer through those annoying fuckers in the room with you with their cellphones on and the whispering, and I'll sit back quietly in my house and watch that shit on my widescreen

have fun

blckhaze
11-02-2007, 08:44 PM

you go to the theater and suffer through those annoying fuckers in the room with you with their cellphones on and the whispering, and I'll sit back quietly in my house and watch that shit on my widescreen

have fun

tru. going to movies in NYC cant be a fucking experience. Especially when a movie is getting buzz in the hood. unfortunately, its usually the group of black or hispanic kids, who show up like 5 mins before the previews start carrying two kids to a slasher flick. smh. God bless the internet. dont even have to pay the bootleggers

timxxx
11-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I watched the "screener" last week but going to catch it at a theater when it opens here.

Mr_Choc69
11-02-2007, 10:33 PM

have fun

I will. It's simple - I just go to an early showing (10:30 am)...at best the theater is a 1/3 full. Done so on a number of box office smash hits. Then I don't need to deal with all of the BS that u talk about above.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-03-2007, 02:30 AM

have fun

I will. It's simple - I just go to an early showing (10:30 am)...at best the theater is a 1/3 full. Done so on a number of box office smash hits. Then I don't need to deal with all of the BS that u talk about above.

oh you're gonna deal with bullshit
just because you think it won't happen it's gonna happen
watch, lol

62des
11-03-2007, 05:04 AM
All that bootleg hype is true. The bootleg is as clear as day. In fact if you watched it, you couldn't tell it was a bootleg unless someone told you.

rick_932
11-03-2007, 05:10 AM
still waiting to see this shit, i have a feeling that ima like it

saifan
12-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Finally got around to seeing this the other night. Over all it was a pretty decent movie but it didn't seem nearly as groundbreaking as some critics painted it. It just seems like too many other movies have been here before.

The look and feel of the film seemed very authentic to the period. As expected the performaces were top notch as well. A notable standout was Idris Elba (Stringer Belle from The Wire) who continues to do great character work.

I'd rate it a 7 out out of 10.

GIA LOVES RON
12-05-2007, 06:37 AM
I have to say that this is one of the best movies I have ever seen so far for quite a while. Plus, you gotta love Denzel Washington. Sexy man and a very good actor at that!

ohioboy
12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Same here...and I have to get Shawn's album as well. If it's anything like "Reasonable Doubt" or "The Blueprint", I'll be a happy camper.

You werent feelin the Black Album?

LBCDO
12-05-2007, 08:57 AM
yEA, i got the bootleg with spanish subtitles and that was straight, becsue my whole family got to watch it on thanksgiving. Nothing like watching a movie at home, beer in hand. No crying babies, cell phones, and when people talk, you can rewind it. I got it on my cellphone too

Willie Escalade
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM
You werent feelin the Black Album?
I never purchased the real version of that album. I did get the acapella version (I had intended on remixing it myself), as well as a version called "The Purple Album" which used music from Purple Rain exclusively. I do like the album in general though.

Speaking of acapella versions of albums, Jay-Z released an acapella version of American Gangster as well. I can't wait to see how this one is remixed! Dangermouse, how about using samples from past gangster movie soundtracks, such as The Godfather or Goodfellas?

As for the movie, I still haven't seen it (I work too damn much!). I have it on bootleg (and a damn fine copy at that); I'll have to watch it that way.