PDA

View Full Version : Let's play a game! Trivia

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-18-2007, 10:40 AM
TV Commercial Trivia

Question: The best part of waking up is _________ in your cup?

The one who answer should post his/her trivia for the nest poster to answer. :P

~Kisses.

HTG

TJT
06-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Folgers.

What tastes good like a cigarette should?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-18-2007, 10:23 PM

Answer: Winston! :P

Question: What does the name Buddah means?

~Kisses.

HTG

LG
06-18-2007, 10:33 PM

Answer: Winston! :P

Question: What does the name Buddah means?

~Kisses.

HTG

Oh I remember that from school! It means "the enlightened one"!

LG
06-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Is it my turn to ask now? What are contained in the Belgian dish "moules marinieres"?

No googling!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-18-2007, 10:50 PM
24 mussels
75 ml (1/3 cup) butter
2 finely chopped green onions
1 onion grated
30 ml (2 C with soup) fresh parsley
300 ml (10 ounces) dry white wine
pepper

LG
06-18-2007, 10:54 PM
24 mussels
75 ml (1/3 cup) butter
1 onion grated
pepper

I thought we said no googling. :lol: Or do you have that kind of info stored in your head? If so, you have to cook for me when I come over.

Actually made it myself once or twice, with some success. But there's nothing better than sitting on the cobblestoned Rue des Bouchers in Brussels, sipping Hoegaarden and eating seafood.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-18-2007, 10:54 PM
my turn

"Meet the Swinger, _________ Swinger. It's more than a _______, it's almost alive, it's only 19 dollars and 95."

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-18-2007, 10:57 PM
24 mussels
75 ml (1/3 cup) butter
1 onion grated
pepper

I thought we said no googling. :lol: Or do you have that kind of info stored in your head? If so, you have to cook for me when I come over.

Actually made it myself once or twice, with some success. But there's nothing better than sitting on the cobblestoned Rue des Bouchers in Brussels, sipping Hoegaarden and eating seafood.

lol, dude I have family in Holland, you never said a quick phone call was out of the question ;)

tsafficianado
06-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Polaroid Swinger

Name all of the members of Fleetwood Mac from the initial lineup through the current lineup. I count 14.

Willie Escalade
06-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Polaroid Swinger

Name all of the members of Fleetwood Mac from the initial lineup through the current lineup. I count 14.

Go your own way!

Mick Fleetwood
John McVie

Then we have:

Lindsey Buckingham
Dave Mason
Stevie Nicks
Bob Welch
Billy Burnette
Danny Kirwan
Christine McVie
Jeremy Spencer
Rick Vito
Bekka Bramlett
Peter Green
Dave Walker
Bob Weston

Stanford University's team nickname is the Cardinal. What was it before that?

tsafficianado
06-19-2007, 02:30 AM
you missed bob brunning, the original bass player before PG and MF convinced McVie to quit Mayall.

but good shot. acknowledgements to wikipedia?

Willie Escalade
06-19-2007, 02:34 AM
but good shot. acknowledgements to wikipedia?
Nope. All Music Guide (http://www.allmusic.com/).

TJT
06-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Whose TV commercial started with "Hey Mabel!"

LG
06-19-2007, 10:53 AM
24 mussels
75 ml (1/3 cup) butter
1 onion grated
pepper

lol, dude I have family in Holland, you never said a quick phone call was out of the question ;)

Yup. phone calls are okay, I suppose. It's like "phone a friend" on 'Who wants to be a millionaire'.

But the last couple of posts people have been using Wikipedia. Isn't the whole point of a quiz game to test one's general knowldge?

And, by the way, if you can get fresh enough mussels, do try and make moules marinieres (remember to brush off any grit first, and then discard any that don't open upon cooking). Best served with pommes frites (what one might call French fries, which are also a Belgian dish, not a French one) and washed down with an ice cold Belgian brew. Heavenly!

gummi baer
06-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Stanford University's team nickname is the Cardinal. What was it before that?Indians? What famous southpaw hurler won hundred games (each) for Baltimore, Boston, AND Philadelphia?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Whose TV commercial started with "Hey Mabel!"

Black Label!

"Hurry on down to _______ where the burgers are charcoal broiled."

~Kisses.

HTG

The Truth
06-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Hardee's

Here's mine: Double your pleasure, double your fun

gimmeurblood
06-30-2007, 09:39 PM
extra sugarfree gum
the categiory is movie quotes

"good, bad, m the guy with the gun"

DonPA
07-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Actually it's doublemint gum and yours is Army of Darkness

Hara_Juku Tgirl
07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Continuing...

"_____ - laundry detergent - is stronger than dirt."

~Kisses.

HTG

Ecstatic
07-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Ajax.

As for "Buddah", that's a record label. Buddha means "one who is awakened" and Siddhartha Gautama received that name shortly after his enlightenment when someone asked him if he were a man or a god, and he said simply, "I am awake."

Where are the highest tides in the world to be found?

SmashysmashY
07-04-2007, 12:55 AM
nova scotia

In poetry what do you call a pause in a line of verse coinciding with a break between clauses and indicated by the symbol ||
?

Quinn
07-04-2007, 01:09 AM
A caesura.

Which nation has the largest GDP in Africa?

-Quinn

LG
07-04-2007, 01:54 AM
A caesura.

-Quinn

Has to be South Africa, right?

My question: Where is the Camp Nou (sometimes aka Nou Camp or Nuevo Campo) located? And what goes on there?

ducktales
07-04-2007, 02:11 AM
A caesura.

-Quinn

Has to be South Africa, right?

My question: Where is the Camp Nou (sometimes aka Nou Camp or Nuevo Campo) located? And what goes on there?

its a soccer stadium in Barcelona, and obviously they play soccer.

EDIT, i have to add my own question?

whats white and black and red(read) all over?

LG
07-04-2007, 03:16 AM
EDIT, i have to add my own question?

whats white and black and red(read) all over?
A newspaper!

Who wrote the music of the Door's song Alabama Song? Hint- it wasn't one of the Doors...it was written long before they sang it

ducktales
07-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Bertolt Brecht

"betcha cant eat just ____"

Ecstatic
07-04-2007, 04:57 AM
One.

Actually, ducktales, your answer to LG's query is only partially correct. Brecht is credited with writing the lyric to "Alabama Song" but Kurt Weill wrote the music (and the lyric may have been written by Elisabeth Hauptmann).

Since we're on to the Doors and Ajax Laundry Detergent in the same thread, why does Jim Morrison call out "Stronger than dirt" at the very end of "Touch Me"?

ducktales
07-04-2007, 05:04 AM
supposedly because the music of "Touch Me" resembled that of an Ajax commercial and as a mocking criticism of Krieger, Densmore, and Manzarek wanting to accept an offer from Buick to use "Light My Fire" in a commercial

"its so easy a __________ can do it"

Ecstatic
07-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Caveman.

Right on re: the Doors reference!

Name the four US Presidents who were born in Greater Boston, Massachusetts.

SmashysmashY
07-04-2007, 06:08 AM
george bush
jfk
john adams
quincy adams

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/grw311/dancer.jpg

Which impressionist painter made this sculpture?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
07-04-2007, 06:22 AM
I'm an BFA I should know this..It's Edgar Degas! LOL ;)

Which US grunge rock star Pete Burns wrote these lyrics for (Incidentally, was also rumoured had a brief "fling" together with):

"You made front page news across the world,
When you overdose in Rome,
The things you hate, the pills you take,
I gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gottarghhh...."

From Nukleopatra CD
http://img.mp3sugar.com/album/cover1259_14984.jpg

~Kisses.

HTG

Ecstatic
07-04-2007, 03:32 PM
george bush
jfk
john adams
quincy adams
I can't answer Hara, as I don't know from grunge, but even though I'm sure you know which Bush was born in Milton, MA, you should be clear, SmashysmashY. Otherwise, you could have listed three, as "John Adams" would be "right" for two of them, lol.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I can't answer Hara, as I don't know from grunge,

LOL The answer is: Kurt Cobain (The Rome incident)

http://www.poster.net/cobain-kurt/cobain-kurt-live-5000873.jpg

http://www.justiceforkurt.com/investigation/timeline/rome_ambulance.jpg

Full Story at: http://www.justiceforkurt.com/investigation/timeline/rome_incident.shtml

Question: ________'Miles away from ordinary.'

~Kisses.

HTG

Tomfurbs
07-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Kurt Cobain had a thing with Pete Burns?!!! :shock:

Coo!

Hara_Juku Tgirl
07-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Kurt Cobain had a thing with Pete Burns?!!! :shock:

Coo!

Apparently Kurt has been a long time fan oF Dead or Alive and Pete Burns. The two were rumoured to have had a brief fling (I heard Courtney would sometime join in) hence Pete Burns actually wrote a song about Kurt. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Tomfurbs
07-05-2007, 02:00 AM
Wow! good old Pete...

Ecstatic
07-05-2007, 02:22 AM
I guess if I had simply guessed the one grunge performer I actually know, I would've gotten it by dumb luck. Kind of like a 60's rock question whose answer would be the Beatles or the Stones, lol.

Are you thinking of Corona Extra, which is "miles away from ordinary"?

If so, here's mine: Archie, Jughead, Veronica and Betty lived in Riverdale. After what city in Massachusetts was the imaginary city of Riverdale named?

Tomfurbs
07-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Haverhill, Mass?

I remember someone leaving a comment to that effect on youtube (is that allowed?)

if so then which brand of cigarette bankrolled early Flinstones episodes?

Ecstatic
07-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Yep, Haverhill (that's hayv-rill, not haver-hill, btw) is the one; the creators were from Haverhill and used that town and several people they knew in their concept for Archie.

The first year of the Flintstones was sponsored by Winston cigarettes. Fred, the role model for American youth (and the original Homer Simpson--or was that Ralph Cramden, lol).

For whom did Paul McCartney write "Hey Jude"?

Tomfurbs
07-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Julian Lennon, I think its working title was 'Hey Jules'

Vodka, Galliano and Orange Juice are the ingredients of which cocktail?

ducktales
07-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Harvey Wallbanger

in 1985, what products did the coca cola company introduced, which was quickly replaced?

Ecstatic
07-06-2007, 05:14 AM
New Coke, in Spring 1985, which was replaced by Classic Coke in the Summer of 1985 (actually, New Coke stayed on the market but its market plummented to something like 1/10 of 1%). Classic Coke quickly beat all competition, including Pepsi which had briefly pulled out in front. Some called this a deliberate marketing ploy; Coca-Cola President Donald Keough responded by saying "Some critics will say Coca-Cola made a marketing mistake. Some cynics will say that we planned the whole thing. The truth is we are not that dumb, and we are not that smart."

In the 3rd century BCE a certain Greek jumped out of his bath and ran naked down the street crying out "Eureka!" Who was this and what had he discovered?

Tomfurbs
07-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Archimedes, and he discovered Buoyancy,
which is basically a cautionary tale not to fill your bath too high

What was the name of Lou Reed's transsexual girlfriend through most of the 70's (first name is fine)

mofungo
07-06-2007, 05:26 AM
In the 3rd century BCE a certain Greek jumped out of his bath and ran naked down the street crying out "Eureka!" Who was this and what had he discovered?

That would be Archimedes.

Q: What part of the human brain is believed to be directly responsible for gender identity?

Ecstatic
07-06-2007, 05:40 AM
whoa, photo finish there. But Tomfurbs was first and answered the second part of the question (love that comment about the cautionary tale).

I don't know the name of Lou Reed's transgf and I'm drawing a blank on the brain question, which I know I know....

gummi baer
07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Archimedes, and he discovered Buoyancy,
which is basically a cautionary tale not to fill your bath too high

I thought he discovered displacement. i.e. the volume of the water spilled was equal to the volume of his submerged body. si?

Ecstatic
07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Two ways of looking at the same thing. Technically, what Archimedes discovered is what has since been known in hydrostatics as Archimedes' Principle: "a body immersed in a fluid experiences a buoyant force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid." Using this principle, he could determine whether the golden crown made for King Hieron was pure gold or an impure alloy (made with cheaper, less dense materials which would displace less water relative to the volume of the material than pure gold would). Thus he could determine the value of the crown without destroying it first (melting it down).

To answer mofungo's question, some would say the hypothalmus is that portion of the human brain responsible for gender identification. Research conducted in the mid-90's and since identifies the BST region (bed nucleus of the stria terminalis) of the hypothalmus as the seat of gender in the brain. The biochemistry gets very involved and research is very difficult due to the simple fact that it would be unethical (to say the least) to directly experiement with living human brains, but the size of this region reflects gender. There is an excellent discussion available here (http://www.hemingways.org/GIDinfo/research.htm), including this insightful observation:

The bottom line: Gender Identity Dysphoria is NOT a mental problem and therefore psychotherapy will not make it "go away." It is a PHYSICAL CONDITION, the cause of which cannot be altered by any known methodology. Individuals with GID are often in need, however, of some form of therapy to deal with the SOCIAL problems that often go hand-in-hand with the condition. Those problems, though, are caused by something external - namely a society that will not accept the preferred gender identity of the individual. This is a problem FOR the transgender individual and a problem OF society that requires either better coping mechanisms for the individual and/or a more tolerant social environment.
However, I think we're moving well out of the range of trivia here. ;)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Going back to the Topic:

What product's ad said, 'When you want to bring out the flavor and bring out the zest, just bring out the...'?

~Kisses.

HTG

TomSelis
08-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Hellmann's.....Bank!

This movie's tagline was: He's the only kid ever to get into trouble before he was born.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Was it Back to the future? Hmm.. :?

'This is not your father's...(what)'?

:P

~Kisses.

HTG

SkyTwo
09-01-2007, 02:02 AM

~Kisses.

HTG

Oldsmobile.

What's the mnemonic device used to remember the fate of Henry VIII's six wives?

Tomfurbs
09-01-2007, 02:08 AM
divorced, beheaded, died...divorced, beheaded, survived.

which 'outsider' music genius penned the smash hit 'rock and roll mcdonalds'?

SkyTwo
09-01-2007, 05:31 AM

Fine. Wesley Willis. I forgot how many UK types are here when I picked my question.

Egyptian ruler Akhnaten's wife is more famous than he is, although she's really only known for her bust. Who was she?

franks
09-01-2007, 05:43 AM

~Kisses.

HTG

here's a fun quiz. someone sent me this a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.robmathiowetz.com/

franks
09-01-2007, 05:47 AM

Fine. Wesley Willis. I forgot how many UK types are here when I picked my question.

Egyptian ruler Akhnaten's wife is more famous than he is, although she's really only known for her bust. Who was she?
Neffertiti

4star4
09-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Does anyone love the movie "Tombstone" as much as I do? The best scene is Johnny Ringo flashing his pistol in front of the Erp brothers, while Doc Halliday twirls his cup to mock him. It goes like this, (this is from memory, so it might not be exact):

Doc to Kate: "Look darling, it's Johnny Ringo, the DEADLIEST pistol in the west since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, should I hate him?

Kate: You don't even know him.

Doc: No, but there's just somethin' about him. Somethin around his eyes. He reminds me of...... ME! Yep, I hate him.

Doc: En vino veratas.....(In wine is truth)

Ringo: Agi Caragi (sorry help me on this quote & spelling)

Doc to Kate: That's Latin Dear. Apparentley Mr. Ringo is an educated man..... . Now I really hate him.

Johnny Ringo and Doc stand up to eachother in the next scene, with Doc winning. \\\

Fun... anymore quotes from Tombstone?

Kate:

SkyTwo
09-01-2007, 09:11 AM

Neffertiti

No new question, so I'm going to post a new one. (I like this thread.) What Japanese word has entered the English language with the meaning of an important person or leader?

franks
09-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Neffertiti

No new question, so I'm going to post a new one. (I like this thread.) What Japanese word has entered the English language with the meaning of an important person or leader?

Pharaoh? I think that an Asian ruler was the first to use that word. rulers in earlier times were called Ngu.

SkyTwo
09-02-2007, 04:59 AM

Neffertiti

Pharaoh? I think that an Asian ruler was the first to use that word. rulers in earlier times were called Ngu.

This entered the language much more recently. And it's closer to a slang word when used in English. It's also a very common term.

franks
09-02-2007, 05:02 AM

Neffertiti

This entered the language much more recently. And it's closer to a slang word when used in English. It's also a very common term.

boss?

SkyTwo
09-02-2007, 08:47 AM

Shogun?

All right, maybe the question was too sneaky. Another hint: it almost always follows the word head. As in "head ______."

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Head master? Mistress? What is it?!? LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

SkyTwo
09-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Head master? Mistress? What is it?!? LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

Damn. Didn't mean to throw a wrench in the thread, but thanks for starting it, Hara. Great idea.

The answer is.... honcho.

I'll decline asking the next question. Care to keep it going, Hara? :)

Mister Uptempo
09-02-2007, 09:08 AM
All right, maybe the question was too sneaky. Another hint: it almost always follows the word head. As in "head ______."

Honcho(?)

edit--oops...just a minute or so too late...story of my life :)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 09:11 AM
No Sky two go ahead..No one guessed it right so you ask the Q? ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

SkyTwo
09-02-2007, 09:19 AM

~Kisses.

HTG

Please, call me Sky. Everyone else does. And I see that fair play is your middle name, as always. What a sport. :wink:

Maybe the rookie who just missed the bell should have a turn. In the meantime, I'll try to think up another question. Maybe some mythology. Or something about pirates.

franks
09-02-2007, 07:01 PM

~Kisses.

HTG

Please, call me Sky. Everyone else does. And I see that fair play is your middle name, as always. What a sport. :wink:

Maybe the rookie who just missed the bell should have a turn. In the meantime, I'll try to think up another question. Maybe some mythology. Or something about pirates.

what is the poem "ring around the rosies" about?

TheOne1
09-02-2007, 07:17 PM

the pollio plague..

franks
09-02-2007, 07:26 PM

the pollio plague..

"polio". correct. What is Stevie Wonder's real name?

Marinus
09-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Steveland Morris Judkins Hardaway

You all probably know the song "Black Betty" by Ram Jam (first recording by James 'Iron Head' Baker, not Leadbelly). Who or what is "Black Betty"?

franks
09-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Steveland Morris Judkins Hardaway

You all probably know the song "Black Betty" by Ram Jam (first recording by James 'Iron Head' Baker, not Leadbelly). Who or what is "Black Betty"?

tell me. I didn't want to cheat by Googling.

What is the hardest point on your body?
Name the only food that doesn't spoil. (and it's not fruitcake!)
Name the body part that heals the quickest.

Marinus
09-03-2007, 11:17 AM
According to "originals.be"

"BLACK BETTY
(trad.)

o: James 'Iron Head' Baker (1933) - Library Of Congress
> Not about a woman but a whip. Black Betty came down on chainganger's backs soon as their nine pound hammers came down off key. Others claim it was the name of the truck bringing convicts to their work place. Recorded in the Sugarland prison farm in Texas. "

Marinus
09-03-2007, 11:19 AM

I guess the first one would be chocolate (although it may turn white because of the sugar inside).
And the second .... the hand?

mofungo
09-03-2007, 12:06 PM

The mouth/tongue... maybe the eye.

Ecstatic
09-03-2007, 06:13 PM
the pollio plague..
"polio". correct. What is Stevie Wonder's real name?
Actually, no. The origin of "ring around the rosies" is the Black or Bubonic Plague, which infested London in the 17th century and was only halted by the Great Fire of 1666 which killed all the rats who carried the fleas which spread the plague to humans. The "rosy" describes the reddish rash encircled by a ring on the skin ("ring around the rosy"). "A pocket full of posies" refers to the habit of carrying sweet herbs like posies in a pouch because people thought the disease was spread by bad smell. "Ashes, ashes" refers to the cremation of the diseased corposes. And the variant "A-tishoo, a-tishoo" refers to sneezing, another suspected cause of spreading the plague.

Honey doesn't spoil; honey has been found in Egyptian tombs dating back millenia and, while crystallized, it is still edible. Honey is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture from the air, or from any yeast or bacteria which is injected into the honey). As a result, it extends the shelf life of baked goods, and when sealed (as in honeycomb by bees), it remains stable for centuries or even millenia.

Good question about which body part heals the fastest; I've read many different claims: mouth, tongue, genitals, cornea, and liver. I don't know if there is a definitive answer as that would in part depend upon the type of injury suffered (for instance, a scratched cornea can heal in 24 hours; our livers are constantly healing themselves, but then many of us keep reinjuring them with good ole Jim Beam).

My trivia question: what was the first pop song over 7 minutes in duration to be widely played as a single on top 40 radio?

Tomfurbs
09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Was it 'Like a Rolling Stone' by Bob Dylan?

since I'm not too sure I'll forfeit my go at posing the next question

Ecstatic
09-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Nope. "Like a Rolling Stone" is only 6:09, though I think at the time of its release (July 20, 1965) it was the longest pop song to date to receive airplay (it never made it to #1, however, as that spot at the time was held by the Beatles' "Help").

franks
09-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Nope. "Like a Rolling Stone" is only 6:09, though I think at the time of its release (July 20, 1965) it was the longest pop song to date to receive airplay (it never made it to #1, however, as that spot at the time was held by the Beatles' "Help").

Bubonic Plague. thanks for correcting me on that one. the elbow, honey, tongue. (at least that's that's what I was told) I've scratched my cornea in the past, it seems to heal slower than the tongue, but who knows?

Ecstatic
09-04-2007, 06:59 AM
Bubonic Plague. thanks for correcting me on that one. the elbow, honey, tongue. (at least that's that's what I was told) I've scratched my cornea in the past, it seems to heal slower than the tongue, but who knows?
Well, it comes of studying folklore as an English grad student. I learned all sorts of fascinating (and useless) info, like all 749 versions of Cinderella. Actually, quite a few children's rhymes stem from kids coping with the unthinkable, with disease and disaster. Kids are stronger than we think.

The elbow, ehh? I thought our teeth were the hardest part of our bodies.

So still no takers on the first 7 minute pop single? Here's a BIG hint: it was also the biggest-selling debut record for a label ever, and the biggest selling single by the band that recorded it, holding the #1 spot on Billboard for nine weeks.

Ecstatic
09-05-2007, 02:30 AM
bump

franks
09-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Well, it comes of studying folklore as an English grad student. I learned all sorts of fascinating (and useless) info, like all 749 versions of Cinderella. Actually, quite a few children's rhymes stem from kids coping with the unthinkable, with disease and disaster. Kids are stronger than we think.

The elbow, ehh? I thought our teeth were the hardest part of our bodies.

So still no takers on the first 7 minute pop single? Here's a BIG hint: it was also the biggest-selling debut record for a label ever, and the biggest selling single by the band that recorded it, holding the #1 spot on Billboard for nine weeks.

I learned that in college as well. (of all things) elbow somebody sometime. very effective. Regarding the 7 min single, I don't want to google, but I'm tempted.

Marinus
09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Can somebody put me out of my misery concerning that 7 minute single? I couldn't even find it with Google ...

LG
09-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm guessing 'Hey Jude' by the Beatles.

"The movement you need is on your shoulder", ecstatic. Isn't that a favourite line of yours? :D

LG
09-05-2007, 01:07 PM
And my question is: David Sedaris' younger brother Paul refers to himself as what kind of bird?

Marinus
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
'Hey Jude' can't be right, because it was released in 1968, not 1965

LG
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
'Hey Jude' can't be right, because it was released in 1968, not 1965

I don't think Ecstatic suggested anything about the song in question being released in 1965. All he said was that 'Like a rolling stone' was released in 1965.

Having said that, I did some research (but only after reading your post):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Jude

I stand by my answer.

Now, who can answer my question without googling?

Ecstatic
09-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm guessing 'Hey Jude' by the Beatles.

"The movement you need is on your shoulder", ecstatic. Isn't that a favourite line of yours? :D
You got it, LG, and yes, my oft-used tagline is my favorite quote from the song. (For the real trivia buffs, "Hey Jude" was the first 7-minute single, quickly followed by "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris (later reprised by Donna Summer and originally intended for The Association). "MacArthur Park" tracked at a few seconds longer than "Hey Jude" but was released a short while after the Beatles' all-time most commercially successful single. And LG is right: my 1965 reference was only with regards to "Like A Rolling Stone," which was indeed the first 6 minute single.)

As for the Sedaris brothers, I'd have to Google the answer, so someone else will have to claim this one.

Marinus
09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Those damn language barriers ... ;)

btw Who's that Sedaris chap to begin with?

LG
09-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Those damn language barriers ... ;)

btw Who's that Sedaris chap to begin with?

David Sedaris is an American writer and humourist. His brother Paul has a hardwood flooring business. The lovely Amy Sedaris, the actress and writer is their sister.

The answer to the question can be found in one of Sedaris' bestsellers, although you could, if you wanted to cheat, also used Google, I suppose.

franks
09-06-2007, 05:02 AM
And my question is: David Sedaris' younger brother Paul refers to himself as what kind of bird?

He refers to his younger brother (and Stephen) as woodchoppers. Is that actually a bird? (ok, I googled; but only partially. I provided the info on stephen) hope it's correct.

now, who invented the donut for the baseball bat? he's also a pioneer in another regard. who/what is it?

Quinn
09-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Isn't it "rooster" or something like that?

-Quinn

LG
09-06-2007, 02:41 PM

-Quinn

Finally, someone's got it right!

You didn't just Google that, I hope.

Anyway, your turn to come up with a question Quinn...

Quinn
09-06-2007, 06:33 PM

-Quinn

Finally, someone's got it right!

You didn't just Google that, I hope.

Anyway, your turn to come up with a question Quinn...

A business partner of mine is a huge fan and mentions him frequently. He has even convinced me to read some of Sedaris’s work, including "Naked." How can you not laugh at a guy whose OCD had him running around licking light switches? His sense of humor is unique, to put it mildly.

Anyway, here's my question: which civilization founded the Carthaginian Empire?

-Quinn

Ecstatic
09-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Historical data concerning Carthage and the Carthaginian Empire is sparse due to the fact that Rome so utterly destroyed the city at the end of the Third Punic War. Carthage was founded by the Phoenicians, but the empire grew out of the great city of Carthage, which eventually became one of the three greatest cities in the Mediterranean Basin. So techinically, the Carthaginian Empire was founded by the Carthaginians, but you might argue that it was founded by the Phoenicians since they actually founded the city.

(A more modern parallel would be the contemporary "American Empire," which was founded by the USA through acquisition by war or treaty of huge expanses of North America plus other lands such as Hawaii. The USA was effectively founded by England, as the colonies which became the original 13 states were British colonies; however, England did not in any sense found the "American Empire" beyond those colonies. Likewise, Phoenicia founded Carthage, but did not actually found the Carthaginian Empire.)

hondarobot
09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
It appears to be E's turn next, but here's a bonus round.

What componant of a Denon DN-D9000 dual CD deck is completely incapatible with a Denon DN 2600F system?

Ha. I bet that can't even be Googled.

:wink:

(whoops, edited "I" to "It")

Quinn
09-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Historical data concerning Carthage and the Carthaginian Empire is sparse due to the fact that Rome so utterly destroyed the city at the end of the Third Punic War. Carthage was founded by the Phoenicians, but the empire grew out of the great city of Carthage, which eventually became one of the three greatest cities in the Mediterranean Basin. So techinically, the Carthaginian Empire was founded by the Carthaginians, but you might argue that it was founded by the Phoenicians since they actually founded the city.

(A more modern parallel would be the contemporary "American Empire," which was founded by the USA through acquisition by war or treaty of huge expanses of North America plus other lands such as Hawaii. The USA was effectively founded by England, as the colonies which became the original 13 states were British colonies; however, England did not in any sense found the "American Empire" beyond those colonies. Likewise, Phoenicia founded Carthage, but did not actually found the Carthaginian Empire.)

Correct, on both accounts (great analysis). Given that Carthage was founded by Phoenicians from Tyre – and Carthage's early empire was built from Phoenician colonies that fell under Carthage's sway after the fall of Tyre – I felt an expansive view was in order. “The Phoenicians" was the answer I was looking for.

Ecstatic, it's your turn.

-Quinn

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Cool. Seems that studying ancient history has benefits beyond knowing the back story to 300. Hmmm....let me think of a good trivia question....

And great bonus question, Honda. I used to use Denon tapes way back. Wild guess: the minijack fader inputs?

I'm also curious about Franks question: who did invent the baseball bat doughnut?

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 01:18 AM
OK, here we go: who invented the doughnut (the edible, coffee-dipping kind I mean), when and what apocryphal story is told about the invention?

hondarobot
09-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Cool. Seems that studying ancient history has benefits beyond knowing the back story to 300. Hmmm....let me think of a good trivia question....

And great bonus question, Honda. I used to use Denon tapes way back. Wild guess: the minijack fader inputs?

I'm also curious about Franks question: who did invent the baseball bat doughnut?

The answer is: The cable connections from the control unit to the decks. It's kinda weird. I've bought Denon decks many times for the club, and they always had the same round, multi pin connectors on the cables. The DN-D9000 has connectors that look like the ones on CRT computer monitors. First time, as far as I know, Denon switched to that.

Oh, and Ecstatic (and other Buffy fans), have you checked out Buffy, Season 8 yet? You might already know about this, but I just found out. Joss Whedon has said to hell with the studios, and is now (through Dark Horse) helming a comic version of The Canonical And Official season 8. The story, at last, continues. I just picked up the first two issues. Issue six hit the shelves today, so I'm a little behind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_Season_Eight

It's awesome. For starters, Dawn has lost her virginity. . . and is now a giant. I'm not kidding. Check it out if you haven't already.

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 03:14 AM
I've been following Buffy: Season 8 since issue one. It's one of the best written comics on the market--no surprise, as Whedon is one of the best writers in comics or on TV. In typical Whedon fashion, no explanation has yet been given for Dawn's current condition. It's great because the feel of the story--the pacing, the dialogue, the character quirks--are all right there, just like in the show.

Hey, I wasn't too far off with my minijack input idea! heh.

franks
09-07-2007, 03:19 AM

I have to think about the edible donut question.

The Inventor of the baseball donut was Elston Howard, Yankee catcher. He also holds the distinction of being the first black to play for the Yankees.

while we're on the subject of confections, what about the history of the croissant? pretty interesting. anybody?

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 03:26 AM
I remember Howard, a fine catcher and hitter. He was the American League's Most Valuable Player in 1963, finishing third in the league in slugging average and fifth in home runs, thereby becoming the first black player in AL history to win the MVP honor. He also won Gold Glove Awards in 1963 and 1964, and in 1964 set AL records for putouts and total chances in a season. His lifetime fielding percentage of .993 was a major league record from 1967 to 1973. But I never knew he invented the donut.

I don't know a whole lot about le croissant, except that I like them with strong coffee.

mikelpo
09-07-2007, 03:31 AM
TV Commercial Trivia

Question: The best part of waking up is _________ in your cup?

The one who answer should post his/her trivia for the nest poster to answer. :P

~Kisses.

HTG :lol:

a big hard cock

franks
09-07-2007, 03:36 AM
I remember Howard, a fine catcher and hitter. He was the American League's Most Valuable Player in 1963, finishing third in the league in slugging average and fifth in home runs, thereby becoming the first black player in AL history to win the MVP honor. He also won Gold Glove Awards in 1963 and 1964, and in 1964 set AL records for putouts and total chances in a season. His lifetime fielding percentage of .993 was a major league record from 1967 to 1973. But I never knew he invented the donut.

I don't know a whole lot about le croissant, except that I like them with strong coffee.

conflicting stories.
Many people have heard that the croissant was created in 1686 in Budapest, Hungary by a courageous and watchful baker, at a time when the city was being attacked by the Turks. Working late one night, he heard odd rumbling noises and alerted the city's military leaders. They found that the Turks were trying to get into the city by tunneling under the city's walls. The tunnel was destroyed and the baker was a hero, but a humble hero — all he wanted in reward was the sole right to bake a special pastry commemorating the fight. The pastry was shaped like a crescent, the symbol of Islam, and presumably meant that the Hungarians had eaten the Turks for lunch.

The problem with this story is that it's all made up. It first showed up in the first version of the great French food reference Larousse Gastronmique (Canada, UK), in 1938. Later on, the story switched locations to Vienna, during the Turkish siege there in 1863, but that was also a fabrication.
The sad thing is, the truth in this case is not nearly as interesting as the myth. No one knows when or where the first croissant was baked, but it was definitely in France and certainly not before 1850. The word was first used in a dictionary in 1863. The first croissant recipe was published in 1891, but it wasn't the same kind of croissant we are familiar with today. The first recipe that would produce what we consider to be a croissant wasn't published until 1905, and, again, it was in France.

another story. (wikipedia)
Stories of how the bread was created are modern culinary legends. It is supposed that the shape represents the Islamic crescent as found on the Turkish flag.
While some claim that it was invented in Poland to celebrate the defeat of a Muslim invasion at the decisive Battle of Tours by the Franks in 732, it is more likely that it, like the bagel, was invented in 1683 to celebrate the victory of Jan III Sobieski and his Polish army over the Turkish forces in the Battle of Vienna. Bakers working at night heard the undermining tunneling operation of the Turks and gave the alarm; a version that is supported by the fact that croissants in the French Language are referred to as Viennoiserie and croissant is the French word for crescent; tales linking croissants with the kifli and the siege of Buda in 1686; and those detailing Marie Antoinette's hankering after a Viennese specialty. Alan Davidson, editor of the Oxford Companion to Food states that no printed recipe for the present-day croissant appears in any French recipe book before the early 20th century; the earliest French reference to a croissant he found was among the "fantasy or luxury breads" in Payen's Des substances alimentaires, 1853.

mofungo
09-07-2007, 03:37 AM
I think Hara's question made it first... Doesn't 'Buddha' mean "enlightened one"?

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Fascinating history, franks. As a hint to my question, that's why the story of the origins of the humble doughnut are a combination of historical fact and apocryphal folklore, as I'm sure someone will enlighten us soon (or I will, if no one steps up).

Speaking of enlightenment, mofungo, actually Buddha simply means "he who is awake." The legend has it that, shortly after rising from his 40 day and 40 night meditation where he attained enlightenment sitting under the bo tree, Siddhartha Gautama encountered someone who, immediately recognizing an enlightened being in the Buddha, asked him if he were a man or a god. Buddha simply replied, "I am awake." (In ancient India, the expected answer might well have been "I am an avatar (incarnation, whence the name of our little dancing icons representing ourselves) of Vishnu" or some other variation, but Buddha kept things very simple and existential: "I am awake" says it all.)

Etymologically, "buddha" comes from the Sanskrit root budh, meaning "to be enlightened, to know," so it can also be translated loosely as "enlightened one." The word is shared by both Sanskrit and Pali. (In Buddha's time, 5th century BCE, Latin was in its infancy yet Sanskrit, the oldest surviving Indo-European language, was already fixed in final form as the official language of the Brahmin priests. Buddha, who hailed from the north of India and Kashmir, taught in the local language of Pali, in the process converting many technical philosophical terms from Sanskrit to Pali, such as dharma to dhamma, anatman ("no self") to anatta, and karma to kamma.)

mofungo
09-07-2007, 04:08 AM
...so "enlightened one" is correct? Great...

A variation on the theme...

'I woke this morning to find a __________ in my bed'

franks
09-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Fascinating history, franks. As a hint to my question, that's why the story of the origins of the humble doughnut are a combination of historical fact and apocryphal folklore, as I'm sure someone will enlighten us soon (or I will, if no one steps up).

Speaking of enlightenment, mofungo, actually Buddha simply means "he who is awake." The legend has it that, shortly after rising from his 40 day and 40 night meditation where he attained enlightenment sitting under the bo tree, Siddhartha Gautama encountered someone who, immediately recognizing an enlightened being in the Buddha, asked him what he was (not who, but what). Buddha simply replied, "I am awake." (In ancient India, the expected answer might well have been "I am an avatar (incarnation, whence the name of our little dancing icons representing ourselves) of Vishnu" or some other variation, but Buddha kept things very simple and existential: "I am awake" says it all.)

Etymologically, "buddha" comes from the Sanskrit root budh, meaning "to be enlightened, to know," so it can also be translated loosely as "enlightened one." The word is shared by both Sanskrit and Pali. (In Buddha's time, 5th century BCE, Latin was in its infancy yet Sanskrit, the oldest surviving Indo-European language, was already fixed in final form as the official language of the Brahmin priests. Buddha, who hailed from the north of India and Kashmir, taught in the local language of Pali, in the process converting many technical philosophical terms from Sanskrit to Pali, such as dharma to dhamma, anatman ("no self") to anatta, and karma to kamma.)

I don't wanna google. so I'll guess. does it have anything to do with the wheel?

hondarobot
09-07-2007, 04:46 AM
I've been following Buffy: Season 8 since issue one. It's one of the best written comics on the market--no surprise, as Whedon is one of the best writers in comics or on TV. In typical Whedon fashion, no explanation has yet been given for Dawn's current condition. It's great because the feel of the story--the pacing, the dialogue, the character quirks--are all right there, just like in the show.

Hey, I wasn't too far off with my minijack input idea! heh.

Good point about Dawns condition. I keep forgetting about the "infamous Joss Whedon red herring". This Kenny/Thricewise character is referred to in the past tense in the first issue. In Whedon speak, that's interesting. It might be a case of "Who killed Kenny", and why? I don't know, I need to read the next four issues and get up to speed.

And you pretty much nailed my bonus round question, so I just gave up the answer.

:)

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 05:50 AM
...so "enlightened one" is correct? Great...

A variation on the theme...

'I woke this morning to find a __________ in my bed'
mofungo, it looks like you're answering Hara's question which was posed and answered back on June 23 (with an addendum by me on July 3: Hara had typo'd "buddha" as "buddah" which is the name of a record label, lol). The question before the group currently is "who invented the doughnut, when, and what legend is told about its invention" (though actually, an approximate who, where and when will qualify).

I don't know what you found in your bed this morning, but last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know. (Thanks, Groucho.)

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 05:55 AM
I don't wanna google. so I'll guess. does it have anything to do with the wheel?
A little too general: let's say the apocryphal legend regarding the origin of the doughnut has to do with a very specific kind of wheel where the doughnut's shape would be beneficial.

Good point about Dawns condition. I keep forgetting about the "infamous Joss Whedon red herring". This Kenny/Thricewise character is referred to in the past tense in the first issue. In Whedon speak, that's interesting. It might be a case of "Who killed Kenny", and why? I don't know, I need to read the next four issues and get up to speed.

And you pretty much nailed my bonus round question, so I just gave up the answer.

Cool. It was only a guess (though working with pro audio types has rubbed off on me a bit). As for Joss' Season 8, you have some fine reading to catch up on. It's great to see him get round to all the slayers who appeared abruptly in the closing moments of season 7, and hinted at in Angel the following year.

mofungo
09-07-2007, 05:58 AM
... it looks like you're answering Hara's question which was posed and answered back on June 23 ...

My most humble apology, Ecstatic :oops:

SkyTwo
09-08-2007, 02:32 PM
A little too general: let's say the apocryphal legend regarding the origin of the doughnut has to do with a very specific kind of wheel where the doughnut's shape would be beneficial.

Cool. It was only a guess (though working with pro audio types has rubbed off on me a bit). As for Joss' Season 8, you have some fine reading to catch up on. It's great to see him get round to all the slayers who appeared abruptly in the closing moments of season 7, and hinted at in Angel the following year.

I think I'm on the right question here. The story goes that a dedicated ship's captain would put fried dough on the 'spokes' of the ship's navigational wheel. That way he could stay at his post and have a nosh at the same time.

Here's one: explain the origin of the word 'tantalize.'

franks
09-08-2007, 05:35 PM

I think I'm on the right question here. The story goes that a dedicated ship's captain would put fried dough on the 'spokes' of the ship's navigational wheel. That way he could stay at his post and have a nosh at the same time.

Tanazile is derived from Tantalus, a Lydian King. He was the Father of Pelops and the son of Zeus. He was punished for among other things, killing Pelops. His punishment involved placing him in water up to his chin with branches weighted with fruit placed on his head, thus being the first to be 'tantalized'.

Ecstatic
09-08-2007, 10:08 PM
That's right, SkyTwo! For a bit more detail: doughnuts derive from the Dutch and German treat, olie-koecken, or fry-cakes, made from dropping leftover dough into hot oil. The Dutch then got fancier and twisted the dough into knots and covered them with sugar afterwards. But in the 1840s in Maine, Captain Mason Crockett Gregory began making doughnuts without holes. There are various explanations, including that he didn't like the undercooked middles, but the legend that took hold (though it cannot be verified) is that he made them this way so he could stack them on the spokes of his ship's steering wheel. There's a plaque today in Rockport, Maine crediting Captain Gregory with the creation of the doughnut in 1847, though the city of Bath down the coast aways also claims to be the birthplace of the doughnut.

What can be proven beyond doubt is that another sea captain, John Blondell, invented the doughnut cutter in 1872 (he received a patent for the device). Despite the claim that the doughnuts would fit on the spokes of the wheel, the culinary fact is that, with the hole, doughnuts cook more evenly than without.

Tanazile is derived from Tantalus, a Lydian King. He was the Father of Pelops and the son of Zeus. He was punished for among other things, killing Pelops. His punishment involved placing him in water up to his chin with branches weighted with fruit placed on his head, thus being the first to be 'tantalized'.
franks is right, but he misses a point: the water would recede everytime Tantalus would bend down to drink, and the branches of fruit would fly up out of reach whenever he tried to snag a fruit. Thus, he was endlessly tantalized but never satiated.

Anyway, what's your question, franks?

franks
09-08-2007, 11:43 PM
That's right, SkyTwo! For a bit more detail: doughnuts derive from the Dutch and German treat, olie-koecken, or fry-cakes, made from dropping leftover dough into hot oil. The Dutch then got fancier and twisted the dough into knots and covered them with sugar afterwards. But in the 1840s in Maine, Captain Mason Crockett Gregory began making doughnuts without holes. There are various explanations, including that he didn't like the undercooked middles, but the legend that took hold (though it cannot be verified) is that he made them this way so he could stack them on the spokes of his ship's steering wheel. There's a plaque today in Rockport, Maine crediting Captain Gregory with the creation of the doughnut in 1847, though the city of Bath down the coast aways also claims to be the birthplace of the doughnut.

What can be proven beyond doubt is that another sea captain, John Blondell, invented the doughnut cutter in 1872 (he received a patent for the device). Despite the claim that the doughnuts would fit on the spokes of the wheel, the culinary fact is that, with the hole, doughnuts cook more evenly than without.

franks is right, but he misses a point: the water would recede everytime Tantalus would bend down to drink, and the branches of fruit would fly up out of reach whenever he tried to snag a fruit. Thus, he was endlessly tantalized but never satiated.

Anyway, what's your question, franks?

ok, here's some music ones's: Neil Young and Bruce Palmer were in a 60's group with which future 70's/80's star? bonus: who was his uncle?

Ecstatic
09-09-2007, 12:00 AM
ok, here's some music ones's: Neil Young and Bruce Palmer were in a 60's group with which future 70's/80's star? bonus: who was his uncle?
A tad ambiguous there, franks. I'll bet you're thinking of Buffalo Springfield, and I'm going out on a limb to say that the future 70's/80's star you're referring to is Steve Stills. However, it could also be Richie Furay or Jim Messina (Furay and Messina founded Poco after Springfield split up, and Messina later became half of the 70's duo Loggins and Messina). Stills and Young, of course, joined forces with Grahame Nash and David Crosby to form Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (or, at times, minus Young).

Not sure about the uncle bit....

franks
09-09-2007, 12:09 AM
A tad ambiguous there, franks. I'll bet you're thinking of Buffalo Springfield, and I'm going out on a limb to say that the future 70's/80's star you're referring to is Steve Stills. However, it could also be Richie Furay or Jim Messina (Furay and Messina founded Poco after Springfield split up, and Messina later became half of the 70's duo Loggins and Messina). Stills and Young, of course, joined forces with Grahame Nash and David Crosby to form Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (or, at times, minus Young).

Not sure about the uncle bit....

here's a hint: the group signed with motown at some point. another hint: the artist did as well (as a solo artist). excuse the ambiguity.

Ecstatic
09-09-2007, 12:37 AM
here's a hint: the group signed with motown at some point. another hint: the artist did as well (as a solo artist). excuse the ambiguity.
Ah, you're talking about the Mynah Birds, fronted by Rick James! I didn't know they had signed with Motown, but yes, Young and Palmer were with that band for a short time before forming Buffalo Springfield. Nice one!

franks
09-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Ah, you're talking about the Mynah Birds, fronted by Rick James! I didn't know they had signed with Motown, but yes, Young and Palmer were with that band for a short time before forming Buffalo Springfield. Nice one!

what about the uncle? :D

CrazyAboutTGirls
09-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Melvin Franklin from the Temptations.

franks
09-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Melvin Franklin from the Temptations.

you didn't post a question. good answer though. bonus: which two temptations were cousins?

Ecstatic
09-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Nope, you got me on the bonus question, I don't know the uncle.

Here's an easy one: whose first hit song was titled "Hey Schoolgirl" which sold 100,000 copies in 1957, and under what names did they have their early success?

franks
09-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Nope, you got me on the bonus question, I don't know the uncle.

Here's an easy one: whose first hit song was titled "Hey Schoolgirl" which sold 100,000 copies in 1957, and under what names did they have their early success?

uncle Melvin Franklin (bass for the temptations)
David Ruffin and Franklin were distant cousins.

answer: Simon and Garfunkel. "schoolgirl" was done as Tom and Jerry (always liked that name)

I'm in a Motown mood so here's another easy one: which two groups helped form the Temptations?

Ecstatic
09-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't know Motown all that well, so I checked Wikipedia and saw the answer, but since I don't know either group and I "cheated" by looking it up, I'll leave it to someone else to answer.

franks
09-11-2007, 02:39 AM
I don't know Motown all that well, so I checked Wikipedia and saw the answer, but since I don't know either group and I "cheated" by looking it up, I'll leave it to someone else to answer.

no one anwered. the distants and the elgins formed the primes which in turn became the tempts.

Here's one: who did the Benny Hill theme and what song/artist inspired it?

Ecstatic
09-11-2007, 04:48 AM
no one anwered. the distants and the elgins formed the primes which in turn became the tempts.

Oh, I do know this one: that's "Yakety Sax", recorded by saxophonist Boots Randolph. Boots recorded it in 1963, though it was actually written by a guitarist, James Q. "Spider" Rich. Interestingly, Chet Atkins (an amazing guitarist in his own right) a couple years later recorded a somewhat different version which he called "Yakety Axe." "Yakety Sax" also became a performance staple for Bill Haley and the Comets.

As to its inspiration, that's a bit trickier: it is reminiscent of "Yakety Yak" but is a very different melody than the Lieber and Stoller song, which was recorded in 1958 by The Coasters. This may be what you're referring to, but the composition actually derives from several traditional reels (fiddle tunes), notably "Chicken Reel," giving it a definite Celtic heritage.

What state first instituted the "one day, one trial" system of jury service, and in what year?

franks
09-11-2007, 05:10 AM

Oh, I do know this one: that's "Yakety Sax", recorded by saxophonist Boots Randolph. Boots recorded it in 1963, though it was actually written by a guitarist, James Q. "Spider" Rich. Interestingly, Chet Atkins (an amazing guitarist in his own right) a couple years later recorded a somewhat different version which he called "Yakety Axe." "Yakety Sax" also became a performance staple for Bill Haley and the Comets.

As to its inspiration, that's a bit trickier: it is reminiscent of "Yakety Yak" but is a very different melody than the Lieber and Stoller song, which was recorded in 1958 by The Coasters. This may be what you're referring to, but the composition actually derives from several traditional reels (fiddle tunes), notably "Chicken Reel," giving it a definite Celtic heritage.

What state first instituted the "one day, one trial" system of jury service, and in what year?

19 year old King Curtis on the tenor Sax (Yakety Yak)

for some reason I'm leaning towards Texas or Virginia. I acually don't have any idea, but a guess is a guess, I guess.

Ecstatic
09-11-2007, 05:27 AM
Yep, King Curtis is another "Yakety Sax" connection--there are several! Next time you listen to it, though, listen for the fiddle tunes--the reels are there, in disguise, lol.

Nope, neither Texas nor Virginia.

ezed
09-11-2007, 06:31 AM

Mass., the year is a shot in the dark... 1972? The year they abolisished the draft and the drinking age was dropped to 18. I was number 3 in the draft lottery. The luckiest year in my life.

Ecstatic
09-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Mass., the year is a shot in the dark... 1972? The year they abolisished the draft and the drinking age was dropped to 18. I was number 3 in the draft lottery. The luckiest year in my life.
Yep, Massachusetts is right! The year was 1983. Prior to that, jurors served for 30 days at a time: if a trial was completed, they we implaneled for another trial.

Interesting draft note, ezed. I was eligible a couple of years earlier, with the lottery numbre 151, and that year they drafted up through number 149 that year. I had my backpack all packed for a trip to Canada, eh.

Take it away!

franks
09-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Here's one: Where does the word boxing (sport) come from?

franks
10-01-2007, 05:29 AM

any takers?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
10-31-2007, 06:57 AM

any takers?

From an ancient sports called pugilism? I give up! :?

~Kisses.

HTG

Ecstatic
10-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Boxing, as a noun referring to the sport of pugilism, was first used in the early 17c. It, it turn, derives from the ME verb box (ca. 14c), meaning to hit on the ear or side of the head, to slap or cuff. The earliest citation given by the OED is Chaucer, 1388: "Hadde in armys manye a blode box."

DJ_Asia
10-31-2007, 06:49 PM
im a bit of a trivia fanatic mostly science and music and sports...

heres one...a bit easy(if u like Animal Planet)

What is the only species of cat that has non-retractable claws?

ed_jaxon
10-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Is that the Cheetah.

I remember that they are very similar to dogs is some aspects.

DJ_Asia
10-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Is that the Cheetah.

I remember that they are very similar to dogs is some aspects.

ahhh a fellow Animal Planet fanatic...yup they are similar to dogs in some respects and have perhaps the most narrow gene pool of any surviving animal,so bottlenecked are the genes from one cat to the next that some scientist theorise that the worlds entire cheetah population decend from a single pregnant female that survived the last ice age.

ed_jaxon
10-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Someone asked a baseball question early on and I think the answer was Christy Mathewson. Three teams, 100 wins with each.

Subject baseball

Who was the last National League triple crown winner?

DJ_Asia
11-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Someone asked a baseball question early on and I think the answer was Christy Mathewson. Three teams, 100 wins with each.

Subject baseball

Who was the last National League triple crown winner?

Joe Medwick

Q: How many ways can a batter reach first base without hitting the ball?

Im gonna guess 4
walk
HBP
K followed by a passed ball
catcher interference

prolly a couple more little known rules tho